iPhone 5S

Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: iPhone 5S

Originally Posted by mikewot
Gold coloured. Pay 200 dits for a new screen and you're sorted, a no brainer. Fly economy and use skyscanner, I know you're like me and still fly UK-DXB-UK, you can get EK flights for 500 GBP each.
Nah, I like the sellotape fix at the moment, I'll either buy the 5S or maybe hangaround for the 6? I dunno, I just want a new phone, had this 18+months now, so it's time.

I only fly economy, unless Emirates want to be kind and / or take all my miles.

Yeah, my flight won't be excessive but hers will.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:26 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely! The point I was trying to make was that there is no innovative changes but the iDrones will still be flocking to buy the 'latest version'.
You are habouring a bit of bitterness there Mike, so people like the latest flashy stuff. Why not?
I am not that keen on iPhone as I prefer Samsung for my own use but I can see an argument for both depending on your personal preferences.

The price seems incredibly high to me but the market seems to take it.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
The price seems incredibly high to me but the market seems to take it.
I still see the attraction of them - very simple to use and little maintenance required. I've been on Blackberry for last few years because that's our policy at work, but still yearn to move back to the iPhone.

Regarding the price, outside our region do most people not get them on contracts?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:41 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

You are habouring a bit of bitterness there Mike, so people like the latest flashy stuff. Why not?
Bitter? Maybe or maybe just how you're perceiving my negativity Buying the latest flashy stuff just seems to me to be consumerism, along with planned obsolescence. We're destroying the earths resources just to get new new new! When actually your (Scamps) 18 month old phone is, I bet, still doing what he needs it to do. It's just not gold coloured.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Am I the only one who is slightly sceptical that this is the case, yet can also see how it may happen (I've watched a lot of Spooks)?

Also, WGAF? What the hell are the NSA going to do with the records from my phone? This is yet another moment of people thinking they are way more interesting and / or important than they are.
I'm not talking about them being interested in what filth you are searching but more the fact that they will be able to log where you are at any time. How many times would you press said home button in a day? Would your phone be GPS enabled? If yes then they will be able to track your movements.

I'm not saying they are interested in you in particular but it's a dark road to start heading down. How long before this data is available to courts for criminal prosecution. I'm not starting a debate on if this is right or wrong, however, I am stating if its possible then it is open to manipulation. It's the whole big brother thing getting more and more powerful.

Ps. If you like Spooks give Scandal a try.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:45 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I still see the attraction of them - very simple to use and little maintenance required. I've been on Blackberry for last few years because that's our policy at work, but still yearn to move back to the iPhone.

Regarding the price, outside our region do most people not get them on contracts?
Sure I certainly do, as my phone usage is reasonably high I tend to get them free for a 1 year contract. They are unlocked so even on the minimum rate of about 40 euro per month it would be cheaper than buying it sim free.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I had an IPhone 4, then changed it for the Galaxy S2. Hated it, it lasted a month. Went back to the iPhone 4 and had that for about another year. Then was sold on the Samsung Note 2. Had that five months then went back to iPhone 4S.

Yes, I recognised the pattern too.

No more android for me. However, no iPhone 5 for me either, not enough of an advancement in my view. I will upgrade to iOS 7 then then wait for the iPhone 6.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:52 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I'm not talking about them being interested in what filth you are searching but more the fact that they will be able to log where you are at any time. How many times would you press said home button in a day? Would your phone be GPS enabled? If yes then they will be able to track your movements.

I'm not saying they are interested in you in particular but it's a dark road to start heading down. How long before this data is available to courts for criminal prosecution.
There was a murder case in Ireland a few years ago where they proved the location of the defendant by use of his phone, triangulated from the phone masts rather than by GPS.
The phone company was ordered by the court to release his records etc. so it has already been done even without the current advances in technology.

newspaper link
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Bitter? Maybe or maybe just how you're perceiving my negativity Buying the latest flashy stuff just seems to me to be consumerism, along with planned obsolescence. We're destroying the earths resources just to get new new new! When actually your (Scamps) 18 month old phone is, I bet, still doing what he needs it to do. It's just not gold coloured.
It still works and all that but so did the candle holders than we sold at the flea market because the mrs bought new ones....so do a lot of things that people want to change, like cars.

I don't disagree that consumerism isn't without cost not just to the individual but externally, but that's life and the beauty of choice.

Originally Posted by jam25mack

I'm not saying they are interested in you in particular but it's a dark road to start heading down. How long before this data is available to courts for criminal prosecution. I'm not starting a debate on if this is right or wrong, however, I am stating if its possible then it is open to manipulation. It's the whole big brother thing getting more and more powerful.

Ps. If you like Spooks give Scandal a try.
Yes, I completely get your point. It is a potentially dark road towards that Wesley Snipes / Sly Stallone film...Demolition Man where everything is seen / heard / recorded / punished.

Can they not tap into phones anyway? Surely connected to a 3G network the NSA / CIA / MI5/6 can do what they want?

(Will try it, thanks!)

There was a murder case in Ireland a few years ago where they proved the location of the defendant by use of his phone, triangulated from the phone masts rather than by GPS.
The phone company was ordered by the court to release his records etc. so it has already been done even without the current advances in technology.

newspaper link
Further to Jam and your point, I get why people can be annoyed about things like a UK DNA database / ID cards etc...why should normal law abiding folk have to be monitored / recorded like that?

BUT

I see the point of view that if you're not going to do anything wrong, then why the problem?

Whole different debate though eh. The 5S looks cool in gold.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:15 am
Knee deep and rising

I see the point of view that if you're not going to do anything wrong, then why the problem?

Whole different debate though eh.
Infringement of your ol' civil liberties I would imagine. Laws and use of information brought in to trap ze bad guys invariably get used on all the people.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:20 am
Knee deep and rising

Of course it's rampant consumerism but without it the west would be bust in short order.
Most of the crap I have built is not to further the human condition but solely related to consumerism; hotels, holiday resorts, office blocks, airports etc.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Infringement of your ol' civil liberties I would imagine. Laws and use of information brought in to trap ze bad guys invariably get used on all the people.
Yes. Agreed.

But being devils advohelmet here, if you plan to do nothing naughty, it can't hurt you? If you got mugged or beaten up and they used those same rights-infringing tactics to catch the baddies, would you still be upset?

I don't really care, I'd rather some things in life were private, phone included because it holds so much info...but it's probably not private any more and it's all going on anyway....we just don't know man, we just don't know.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Did you all miss the stuff about the NSA in te last few weeks.

Those ****ers are already in your phones, most Internet traffic is screened, most tech companies have already given them the back door and keys.
A fingerprint scanner will add almost nothing to the vast wealths of your data they already have and manipulate and are selling/giving to others.

That horse left the stable some time around 2001/2002

Of course it's consumerism for me though its not about having a "new" iPhone it's about having a device I use constantly for work and pleasure that doubles as my main camera these days. Having a better one that works faster and takes better pictures is a solid reason for me to upgrade.

As an aside etisalat have been doing subsidised contracts for a while now so anyone looking to avoid a lump sum upfront should consider one. You also have the added benefit of free replacements if and when they break as its not a grey market import.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's rampant consumerism but without it the west would be bust in short order.
Most of the crap I have built is not to further the human condition but solely related to consumerism; hotels, holiday resorts, office blocks, airports etc.
Forget the west, without it the Chinese economy would collapse and millions would starve. A pretty shitty state of affairs but there is no going back now
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

Yes. Agreed.

But being devils advohelmet here, if you plan to do nothing naughty, it can't hurt you? If you got mugged or beaten up and they used those same rights-infringing tactics to catch the baddies, would you still be upset?

I don't really care, I'd rather some things in life were private, phone included because it holds so much info...but it's probably not private any more and it's all going on anyway....we just don't know man, we just don't know.
We do know look at the leaks about the NSA of late

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.