British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The inspire my life thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/inspire-my-life-thread-808018/)

shiva Sep 3rd 2013 12:13 pm

Re: The inspire my life thread...

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10883205)
Ok back off people.

I asked Weasel a question. It could very well be that he's not interested in marriage or suburbia or children. But I posed the question because the tone of his original post implied that the exoticism of working in high risk environments wasn't so endearing anymore.

A lot of men in Weasel's industry woke up in their 40s and 50s and realised they wanted the conventional after all. And went for it as quickly as they could via finding a Filipina wife because all the good western women were already taken or having become so used to the inequality (by western standards) of eastern relationships they couldn't hack it with a western woman anymore.

So - to Weasel, do you think that you're in danger of going down this path? You're growing bored with the nature of your work and the areas of operation. If you stay with the same type of jobs/countries you're only delaying the inevitable crash/burn and midlife crisis to your late 40s/50s by which point your options for a conventionality (if you want it) is severely limited?

Or are you becoming aware that these job options at the moment represent a chance to change the potential direction of your life into something else? Do you really want to take the boring but safe but perhaps will allow me to find a nice wife/family before I'm too old? Or would you rather stick with the work hard party hard **** hard crowd for as long as you can?

so much nonsense in one post i'm not even going to begin to take it apart. Besides to have written it in the first place requires a level of ignorance and indoctrinated thinking well beyond my powers of persuasion.

Meow Sep 3rd 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10883332)
A balanced relationship needn't be purely material or on paper, but covering a range of intangible, emotional, intellectual things (as has been alluded to).

I think our little Scampi has grown up :wub:

I feel like a proud parent.

weasel decentral Sep 3rd 2013 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 10883277)
It's a big place - you don't have to do Sydney :lol:

True but now it's just a little bit too far away for me, it becomes almost emigration rather than working in a foreign country. My intention is always to end up in Ireland (my home country) at the end.

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2013 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10883338)

me too, that was a lovely post from the youngest member of the bored.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 3rd 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10883338)

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10883377)
me too, that was a lovely post from the youngest member of the bored.

Hahaha you're too kind....plus, I haven't really grown up. I just asked if I can have my friend over to play Playstation and if we can get nuggets and chips for dinner.

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10883379)
Hahaha you're too kind....plus, I haven't really grown up. I just asked if I can have my friend over to play Playstation and if we can get nuggets and chips for dinner.

:rofl:

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2013 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10883332)
Just to add one into the mix;

I earn more than my mrs. My families (separate 'rents) earn more than her families (separate 'rents as well) and whilst she's not 'working class' by background and attitude, she certainly is by family income (if that's possible?).

However, out of the two of us, she's the degree qualified, post-grad holding, looking-at-doing-a-masters professional.

She loves me, I love her and I never moan about paying for more than she does or buying more than she does because she's infinitely more thoughtful with her money than I often am (not always, I'm not a complete idiot).

Still, I do get the point that Ethos makes about relationships being equal...if I walked away from her now I'd expect to take almost every single bit of furniture and finishes in the apartment, because I bought it and I want it....I'm not saying I would but it does make the point that I've paid for / provided a lot of material things.......however, the equality balance comes from her ability to make it all look nice and make the apartment our home.

A balanced relationship needn't be purely material or on paper, but covering a range of intangible, emotional, intellectual things (as has been alluded to).

Good post there mate. All BS I know, but it'll charm the knickers off most women.

redShark Sep 3rd 2013 9:39 pm

A wise man once said to me: Son, if you want to have a happy time in life do the following: Change the important players in your life once every 7 years. Important players as , your car, your job, your house, your friends, but stop short of your family

Rubble Sep 4th 2013 12:46 am

That's not just a wise man, that's a very wise man! wish I heard this 7 years ago.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 3:40 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10884259)
A wise man once said to me: Son, if you want to have a happy time in life do the following: Change the important players in your life once every 7 years. Important players as , your car, your job, your house, your friends, but stop short of your family

Does this mean you'll **** off in 6?

kittycat1 Sep 4th 2013 3:57 am

I don't get that why would you class your friends in the same category as your car?

Life's what you make it, if your not happy and not content with not being happy then it's up to you to change it but you need to know what you want to achieve it. Sometimes you need a bit of just cruising time but if your done with that stick a rocket up your ass stop talking about it and get on with it.

al dente Sep 4th 2013 4:33 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10884645)
I don't get that why would you class your friends in the same category as your car?

Life's what you make it, if your not happy and not content with not being happy then it's up to you to change it but you need to know what you want to achieve it. Sometimes you need a bit of just cruising time but if your done with that stick a rocket up your ass stop talking about it and get on with it.

Or placing your car first. Weird priorities.

Weasel, sounds like a mid life crisis which isn't necessarily a bad thing, a time to reassess where you are in life and what you really want. I do have sympathy with Ethos' point about a family as that does help some people bu,t judging by the ones who've run off with a bar 'model', not all.

Does list writing helping work with you ? How about a list of 10 things that make you happy and then a short, mid and long term plan incorporating those things.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 4:53 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10884672)

Does list writing helping work with you ? How about a list of 10 things that make you happy and then a short, mid and long term plan incorporating those things.

1. Furiously masturbating.

I bet you he doesn't make it to 2.

Bahtatboy Sep 4th 2013 6:36 am

Originally Posted by redShark (Post 10884259)

He or you forgot to mention religion.

weasel decentral Sep 4th 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884680)
1. Furiously masturbating.

I bet you he doesn't make it to 2.

A psychologist might say you are projecting your own thoughts on me there.