British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The inspire my life thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/inspire-my-life-thread-808018/)

Ronnie Biggs Sep 3rd 2013 9:10 am

Re: The inspire my life thread...

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10883068)
My dream was a reality darling :D

Did it make any money? Daytime TV programmes in the UK seem to be full of people who bought bars in Spain/Greece/Turkey/Canary Islands etc and then ended up with three customers a day.

Also - did you bash far too many Gary Abletts? When I worked in Tenerife I saw a lot of people with problems related to the fact that every day was a party day. Fun though.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 3rd 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10883064)
I had a small, laid back "yatchies" bar in the marina in Ibiza town for a few years..it was lovely..party all Summer and sleep in the Winter :D

That's what it's all about.

I keep trying to convince my Dad to open a bar in Crete but it's too quiet and no locals would visit it.:thumbdown:

Ethos83 Sep 3rd 2013 9:14 am

Do you want to get married and have a family?

Or are you content to be single for the rest of your life?

You saw a lot of these hard working hard partying guys in the Gulf - construction/security/O&G dudes who spent 30 years in the high risk areas, living in shit camps and compounds and taking periodic breaks in Dubai or sex/diving holidays to Thailand. Then one day they're 50, realise life isn't going anywhere and that it's too late to get a proper wife and settle down in proper suburbia and suddenly what was fun for the last 30 years is tiring and they can start to feel the effect of heavy smoking and heavy drinking, so they quickly find a Flip hooker to marry and to pop out a few sprogs in a last minute desperate attempt for the normalcy of family life that most men ultimately desire, whether they first realise it at 25 or 45.

Is that what you want?

Patsy Stoned Sep 3rd 2013 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10883080)
Did it make any money? Daytime TV programmes in the UK seem to be full of people who bought bars in Spain/Greece/Turkey/Canary Islands etc and then ended up with three customers a day.

Also - did you bash far too many Gary Abletts? When I worked in Tenerife I saw a lot of people with problems related to the fact that every day was a party day. Fun though.

Yes it did ok darling, It was only open in the Summer, all the yacht crews from the med used it..I had a ship to shore radio and they would call in their orders as they were docking,so the food and booze was ready for them :D I also had a small property management business which carried me through the Winter :-D and..yes we partied hard in the Summer..well..it is was Ibiza darling!! :rofl:
I had to google Gary Ablett darling..so no, I didn't do drugs, very occasionally I had a joint watching the sunset at Cafe del Mar :-D

jam25mack Sep 3rd 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10883086)

You saw a lot of these hard working hard partying guys in the Gulf - construction/security/O&G dudes who spent 30 years in the high risk areas, living in shit camps and compounds and taking periodic breaks in Dubai or sex/diving holidays to Thailand. Then one day they're 50, realise life isn't going anywhere and that it's too late to get a proper wife and settle down in proper suburbia and suddenly what was fun for the last 30 years is tiring and they can start to feel the effect of heavy smoking and heavy drinking, so they quickly find a Flip hooker to marry and to pop out a few mixed breed sprogs in a last minute desperate attempt for the normalcy of family life that most men ultimately desire, whether they first realise it at 25 or 45.

Is that what you want?

Who said the Mrs can't come too? She likes partying just as much as me! ;)

Ronnie Biggs Sep 3rd 2013 9:21 am

You saw a lot of these hard working hard partying guys in the Gulf - construction/security/O&G dudes who spent 30 years in the high risk areas, living in shit camps and compounds and taking periodic breaks in Dubai or sex/diving holidays to Thailand. Then one day they're 50, realise life isn't going anywhere and that it's too late to get a proper wife and settle down in proper suburbia and suddenly what was fun for the last 30 years is tiring and they can start to feel the effect of heavy smoking and heavy drinking, so they quickly find a Flip hooker to marry and to pop out a few mixed breed sprogs in a last minute desperate attempt for the normalcy of family life that most men ultimately desire, whether they first realise it at 25 or 45.

Is that what you want?

Jesus H you think you know everything. I know a couple of older guys who just married women they loved who happened to be younger and Filipino but you seem to have their life and motivations all figured out in advance anyway.....

Also that "mixed breed" comment stinks of narrow-minded dickhead to me. Just saying....

Ethos83 Sep 3rd 2013 9:29 am

Mixed breed is a bit harsh. It's not the kids' faults. I officially retract the term.

But the rest stands. Petit Filipino women know what they're doing when they 'fall in love' with a bald overweight western construction worker north of 50.

Not that I'm implying anything is wrong. If it works for them, kudos to them. But there's certainly an element of pragmatism that underlines most of these relationships.

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10883096)
Jesus H you think you know everything. I know a couple of older guys who just married women they loved who happened to be younger and Filipino but you seem to have their life and motivations all figured out in advance anyway.....

Also that "mixed breed" comment stinks of narrow-minded dickhead to me. Just saying....

Meow Sep 3rd 2013 9:31 am

get a proper wife and settle down in proper suburbia

Just because you want an utterly conventional life, it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

And that 'mixed breed' comment is truly offensive.

Ethos83 Sep 3rd 2013 9:43 am

Post edited. Term removed.

It has nothing to do with conventionality. You know it and I know it. You're just finding an excuse to disagree with me.

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10883111)
Just because you want an utterly conventional life, it doesn't mean that everyone else does.

And that 'mixed breed' comment is truly offensive.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 3rd 2013 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10883122)

It has nothing to do with conventionality. You know it and I know it. You're just finding an excuse to disagree with me.

I disagree.

Meow Sep 3rd 2013 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10883122)

No, I'm not. You assume that the only way to be happy is to have a conventional marriage and a conventional life. That doesn't work for everyone. We don't all want a four bed detached house in Surburbiton (sic)with 2.4 children.

Patsy Stoned Sep 3rd 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10883141)
No, I'm not. You assume that the only way to be happy is to have a conventional marriage and a conventional life. That doesn't work for everyone. We don't all want a four bed detached house in Surburbiton (sic)with 2.4 children.

God forbid darling!! :rofl:

OleJanx Sep 3rd 2013 10:24 am

I think for a lot of people, the idea of 'Suburbition' is a nightmare, it explains why they end up in the Gulf. It may be a pain in the arse sometimes, but it's never soul-less and repetitive and unimaginative.

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2013 10:35 am

Ethos - I admire your faith in marriage and the dream that it is. Please report back in 10 years. :)

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2013 10:37 am

I agree Meow. Who wants a 60% disabled kid... :sneaky: