British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The inspire my life thread... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/inspire-my-life-thread-808018/)

flares Sep 4th 2013 6:51 am

Re: The inspire my life thread...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10884750)
He or you forgot to mention religion.

I and I fancy seven years Rasta next :cool:

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10884752)
A psychologist might say you are projecting your own thoughts on me there.

I added furiously because I thought that was more you than me...

weasel decentral Sep 4th 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10884672)
Or placing your car first. Weird priorities.

Weasel, sounds like a mid life crisis which isn't necessarily a bad thing, a time to reassess where you are in life and what you really want. I do have sympathy with Ethos' point about a family as that does help some people bu,t judging by the ones who've run off with a bar 'model', not all.

Does list writing helping work with you ? How about a list of 10 things that make you happy and then a short, mid and long term plan incorporating those things.

I am too young for a mid-life crisis I hope, in my mind that should strike at 50. (mind you that's not exactly mid life).
Anyhow I think I will do as you suggested for now, the list is in my head of course but perhaps it works better written down in front of me.

weasel decentral Sep 4th 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884768)
I added furiously because I thought that was more you than me...

I would imagine in your case furtively and frequently could be added to furiously.:lol:

al dente Sep 4th 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10884796)
I am too young for a mid-life crisis I hope, in my mind that should strike at 50. (mind you that's not exactly mid life).
Anyhow I think I will do as you suggested for now, the list is in my head of course but perhaps it works better written down in front of me.

The MLC starts in the run up to 40, very commonly. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, though it is a time when the aspiration gap becomes really apparent (if one sees oneself as a CEO and , disappointingly, others see you as Lower middle management).

Really happy to hear that my list writing idea worked for you. Nice to spread around the helping on the bored.

al dente Sep 4th 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10884803)
I would imagine in your case furtively and frequently could be added to furiously.:lol:

and frantically too.:)

Bahtatboy Sep 4th 2013 8:21 am

One former colleague who I respect greatly, and who has a fair number of achievements to his name (both professional and personal), made 5-year and 1-year objectives (maybe also 10-year, I'm not sure) in order not to fall into the trap of "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there". The objectives were all "SMART" (actually "SMARTER", which adds Evaluated and Reviewed), and he worked out what he needed to do to achieve them. Doesn't work for all people, but worked for him.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 8:24 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10884803)

Only wankers use alliteration.

al dente Sep 4th 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10884861)
Only wankers use alliteration.

Karma isn't working, bugger. You made me laugh.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 4th 2013 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10884856)
One former colleague who I respect greatly, and who has a fair number of achievements to his name (both professional and personal), made 5-year and 1-year objectives (maybe also 10-year, I'm not sure) in order not to fall into the trap of "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there". The objectives were all "SMART" (actually "SMARTER", which adds Evaluated and Reviewed), and he worked out what he needed to do to achieve them. Doesn't work for all people, but worked for him.

That's a good idea, but also a bit limiting sometimes depending on who you are (as you say).

I wholeheartedly agree that it's great to have a plan and to make the plans short, medium and long term and even better to make them SMART(ER).

A lot of people don't know where they want to be in 5 years, you'd be amazed at the responses I get from senior guys I ask that question to.

Personally, I think a 3-5 year plan would work well for me, but it would need to be fairly fluid or it would just look and feel like a routine of boredom and planning my life when things can change so quickly.

Interesting though, something I've thought about but never done. I will think harder about this now, let's start a thread.

Meow Sep 4th 2013 11:19 am

I had a mid life crisis way before that age and ended up here...

:ohmy:

BinCat Sep 4th 2013 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10883312)

On the flip side the world wouldn't be much fun if everyone just partied until they were 60!

On the contrary, I think the world would be much more fun if everyone 'just' partied until we were 60', it's far too blin*ing boring now!

Bahtatboy Sep 4th 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by BinCat (Post 10885694)
On the contrary, I think the world would be much more fun if everyone 'just' partied until we were 60', it's far too blin*ing boring now!

Which twat suggested we had to stop at 60?

The_Citizen Sep 5th 2013 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10885810)
Which twat suggested we had to stop at 60?

That 'twat' would be me

Bahtatboy Sep 5th 2013 6:33 am

Originally Posted by The_Citizen (Post 10886553)
That 'twat' would be me

;)