Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The inspire my life thread...

The inspire my life thread...

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:28 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default The inspire my life thread...

Some inspiration required please:

The subject:
Late thirties sexy man.

The current role:
Sorting out construction/financial problems in ME shit-holes, and various technical tendering shenanigans.

The issue:
Either early mid-life crisis or just complete ennui with work and the fact that it seems to stretch out interminably and sometimes unsolvable-ly in front of me.

Current job options:
Job offer in Abu Dhabi doing more of the same but with less shit-holes and more tendering. Involves changing company.
Offer in Algeria doing something more project based, with current company.
Offers in Kazakhstan also project based, one with current company and one from PM company but involving the same project.
Numerous offers in KSA but will not return there unless I am paid an obscene amount to do it.All the other offers are close enough in salary as makes no difference to me.

Life outside of work:
Not interested in some expat shaggers location of choice, prefer a more normal integrated existence with a good variance of things to do, including football, and motorcycling.

Should I take one of these offers, even though none of them have caught my imagination? Should I look to return to Europe? Look at Canada or Australia or the Far East? What say you forum?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The inspire my life thread...

If none have grabbed your imagination then they probably aren't a solution. Since you feel this way your current company probably also aren't the solution unless you can negotiate a role change to something that would interest you.
Can you do wht you do as a consultant? If so what about setting up on your own?

Regardless, from what you have posted I suggest a change soon before you go postal
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:00 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
If none have grabbed your imagination then they probably aren't a solution. Since you feel this way your current company probably also aren't the solution unless you can negotiate a role change to something that would interest you.
Can you do wht you do as a consultant? If so what about setting up on your own?

Regardless, from what you have posted I suggest a change soon before you go postal
I dissolved a company I owned at home last year after 11 years of operation, I was a silent partner for the last 5. It's not something I want to return to doing, the hassles involved to be fair are not worth the freedom being the boss allows.

No danger of going postal just the sheer waste of time is what is getting to me.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:04 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I dissolved a company I owned at home last year after 11 years of operation, I was a silent partner for the last 5. It's not something I want to return to doing, the hassles involved to be fair are not worth the freedom being the boss allows.

it can be a ball ache thats for sure

No danger of going postal just the sheer waste of time is what is getting to me.
their money your time, suggest adopting a **** it attitude
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The subject:
Late thirties sexy man.

The current role:
Sorting out construction/financial problems in ME shit-holes, and various technical tendering shenanigans.

The issue:
Either early mid-life crisis or just complete ennui with work and the fact that it seems to stretch out interminably and sometimes unsolvable-ly in front of me.

Current job options:
Job offer in Abu Dhabi doing more of the same but with less shit-holes and more tendering. Involves changing company.
Offer in Algeria doing something more project based, with current company.
Offers in Kazakhstan also project based, one with current company and one from PM company but involving the same project.
Numerous offers in KSA but will not return there unless I am paid an obscene amount to do it.All the other offers are close enough in salary as makes no difference to me.

Life outside of work:
Not interested in some expat shaggers location of choice, prefer a more normal integrated existence with a good variance of things to do, including football, and motorcycling.

Should I take one of these offers, even though none of them have caught my imagination? Should I look to return to Europe? Look at Canada or Australia or the Far East? What say you forum?
I must know who you are but still can't work it out.

Take the role with the PM in Kazakhstan when it comes up.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

.....just the sheer waste of time is what is getting to me.
I'm in the same boat on this one mate, find I'm spending my entire working day doing futile tasks I know won't make a difference, wishing the day away until the weekend before another week starts after Saturday evening blues. I feel as though I'm wishing my life away during the working week and I ain't getting any younger...
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:17 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Scamp
I must know who you are but still can't work it out.

Take the role with the PM in Kazakhstan when it comes up.
Possibly but the role is not with your crowd, mind you every time I turn on LinkedIn one of your guys pops up in my feed advertising a similar role (initials DP)
it's against my nature to join a PM company as I prefer to be at the productive end of construction rather than the correspondence-fest and general procedural routine ethos of PM companies.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Possibly but the role is not with your crowd, mind you every time I turn on LinkedIn one of your guys pops up in my feed advertising a similar role (initials DP)
it's against my nature to join a PM company as I prefer to be at the productive end of construction rather than the correspondence-fest and general procedural routine ethos of PM companies.
You're probably right, paper-shuffling and ticking boxes is probably not going to excite you too much eh.

You work for the greek mob don't you? I forget what you do for them, but I didn't recognise your name from the book.

Very frustrating. It's like Guess Who but finding out if you wear glasses or have a 'tache is not going to help.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:19 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I'm in the same boat on this one mate, find I'm spending my entire working day doing futile tasks I know won't make a difference, wishing the day away until the weekend before another week starts after Saturday evening blues. I feel as though I'm wishing my life away during the working week and I ain't getting any younger...
It's a killer isn't it? This year I was motivated to write and to become chartered on the strength of that feeling of letting the opportunities I have to do something to pass me by.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:25 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Scamp
You work for the greek mob don't you? I forget what you do for them, but I didn't recognise your name from the book.
Yes, Greek based but Palestinians actually. All from PM to project control/engineering manager to bid manager depending on where I am at the time.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
You have reached the top of Maslow's triangle. Personally, I think the way out of this cycle is to start again and launch a new business doing something different.

I want to open an indoor Nerf-Gun centre.

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 3rd 2013 at 6:36 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

First question: What's your objective?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:40 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
First question: What's your objective?
Primarily a good balanced lifestyle, with secondly a reasonably well paid and stimulating job.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:40 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

kazakhastan for sure
I havent been but much much better variance on the weather I would think would be the game winner as far as I am concerned, I cant believe I am saying this but I miss being wet and cold outdoors
plus from the looks of it from their wiki page, they have so many places to visit etc
I couldnt tell if it is dry or not though

btw I get what your saying about looking at it and seeing it go on and on forever
hire an obnoxious car and go cruising
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

Primarily a good balanced lifestyle, with secondly a reasonably well paid and stimulating job.
Pick two !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.