I've nothing to do
9.80%
I've already dumped the 4x4 at the airport
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How is business?

Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is business?

World business, finance and political news from the Financial Times– FT.com Middle East

Interesting stuff.... Shares are slip sliding...
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente
I'm getting close to just selling all of mine and taking the profit. Waiting. Then reinvesting at the same sort of prices (if they tumble that far) and earning a greater return.

That or just leaving them, because they'll come back one day.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Oil at 28 is crushing for the Middle East. Saudi has based their budget on 27-28 range so the shit must be starting to soak through their pants to their dishdashes by now.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:04 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Oil at 28 is crushing for the Middle East. Saudi has based their budget on 27-28 range so the shit must be starting to soak through their pants to their dishdashes by now.
Haha. A war will needs to happen pronto!
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:33 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

The yanks are not going to be interested in a war at this point so it looks like certain countries are up shit creek without a paddle...
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:26 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

4 more IT businesses closed shop this month and ran away with a lot of money. That makes it about 12 in the past 90 days. And these are the ones that I know of in Bur, I am hearing blood chilling stories about what is going on in Deira.
Banks have stopped giving out loans / credit insurance whatever and the Distis have stopped giving out credit. Hence all these undercutters who were solely relying on 30-45 days credit are slowly either bleeding or being smart about it and just running away.
I predict 3 more that will run in the next month or two.
So should I wait to buy a used car as I recon quite a few cars should be up for sale by now?
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I heard that 60 people were made redundant last week from Etihad Rail, many is very senior positions. Curiously the wife on one of them (who ought to have had some idea) is claiming it was a complete surprise.

A lack of joined-up thinking really doesn't help some people.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How is business?

Originally Posted by Meow
I heard that 60 people were made redundant last week from Etihad Rail, many is very senior positions. Curiously the wife on one of them (who ought to have had some idea) is claiming it was a complete surprise. A lack of joined-up thinking really doesn't help some people.
I heard a similar figure. I don't think this is as big a deal as what it's being made out to be though (albeit it's not so fun if you're one of the ones that's been laid off, but the severance being given is more than fair).The company that runs the trains and maintains the infrastructure and rolling stock is not Etihad Rail but Etihad Rail DB, which is a JV between Etihad Rail and Deutsche Bahn International. That's the actual railway and main employer, run by an Emirati-Anglo-German management team, and is not affected by these changes.The hit has been taken by the planning and design teams and suchlike back in Abu Dhabi. Well, Phase 1 is now successfully planned, designed, built and up-&-running, so Phase 1 positions had run their course anyway, irrespective of oil price. Factor in the low oil price and it would be reasonable to assume that timescales would be pushed back affecting Phase 2, particularly as the Saudis are nowhere close to even thinking about laying track up to their side of the Abu Dhabi border. It's all expats, not just the expensive white ones, I am told. It will all still eventually happen.On the other points above, I'm not sure who you fellas know at Network Rail but you obviously mix in higher echelons than me - when I worked for them they paid crap! Rail is a great industry to be in though, I agree with that. And despite the economic doom and gloom, all the current major rail projects for the region are still going ahead, just in many cases with more realistic budgets, resourcing and timescales than were originally projected back in the days of plenty.

Last edited by Standanista; Jan 22nd 2016 at 2:06 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap Oil Means 1,500 Middle East Bankers Looking for Jobs - Bloomberg Business

HSBC laid off about 150 employees at its retail, commercial banking operations in the U.A.E., a person with knowledge of the matter said in November. Standard Chartered also cut about 100 positions at the end of the year, the recruiters said, asking not to be identified because the matter is private. BNP Paribas SA was considering more than 100 job cuts in October, two people with knowledge of the matter said at the time.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 10:08 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Standard Chartered also cut about 100 positions at the end of the year, the recruiters said, asking not to be identified because the matter is private.

I love that bit. So much I want to punch someone.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

is it me or are the malls quiet? maybe just the winter and people being outside.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 6:20 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
is it me or are the malls quiet? maybe just the winter and people being outside.
I very rarely go to the Malls, but I just feel EVERYWHERE is a bit quiet. Roads, bars, airport etc. My indicator of the tourist activity is the rate quoted outside of the ibis hotel on Shk Zayed near Al Barsha and that has been stuck at summer rates for a long time so I'm convinced that tourism is very significantly down.

DIFC foodcourt is certainly much quieter than it was last year.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TheShed
I very rarely go to the Malls, but I just feel EVERYWHERE is a bit quiet. Roads, bars, airport etc. My indicator of the tourist activity is the rate quoted outside of the ibis hotel on Shk Zayed near Al Barsha and that has been stuck at summer rates for a long time so I'm convinced that tourism is very significantly down.

DIFC foodcourt is certainly much quieter than it was last year.
Exactly. I don't go to malls much, but I had to go to MCC and DFC this weekend - normally parking nightmares. This time, no problem. I normally get stuck in traffic around downtown on Saturdays - this weekend, nothing.

DIFC food court - not really noticed that so much to be honest - I still have to queue for my daily taqardo.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 6:57 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Ibn Battuta is usually the quieter mall but always buzzing on a Friday. No different last Friday, mobbed and parking a nightmare.
Maybe people are learning to avoid the crowded malls. Also there are many new ones opening. In Jumeirah Park a new one opened early last year. Victory Heights a new one opened couple of months ago. Directly across the Sheikh Mo road they're building a new one (less than 1Km away) in JVT with parking for 4000 cars. And they've just announced another one to be built in JVC with 235 shops. 3 malls within 3 Km of each other.
Not seeing a slow down.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Standard Chartered also cut about 100 positions at the end of the year, the recruiters said, asking not to be identified because the matter is private. I love that bit. So much I want to punch someone.
I can just about visualize the greased up recruiter, with the hair gel dripping onto the phone, down to a whisper as he says "this is a top top secret matter, so please keep it private as no one knows"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.