I've nothing to do
9.80%
I've already dumped the 4x4 at the airport
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How is business?

Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is business?

Originally Posted by NewCaledonia
There are many airlines tapping into the same market: Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and Turkish. The cake is probably too small for everyone to eat from.

A good price can make miracles. I know a few people who have flown from Western Europe to the US with Turkish via IST (paid like 350 euros). I also know someone who flew to Argentina from France... via Doha! because it was the cheapest option. An American friend flew recently to Western Europe from New York with Aeroflot via Moscow (I reckon Russians need to fill those empty seats now).

The other day Qatar Airways had their January sale and some fares were ridiculous ex-Europe. They were selling Brussels-India for 250 euro return with all taxes (and that was not an error fare, it was well advised in their Belgian website). Maybe Ryanair has new competitors.
I fly DXB to São Paulo and Buenos Aires a fair bit and the fares are always significantly cheaper on Turkish or Qatar than Emirates. Via Istanbul is a pain but Doha is no drama at all when you're saving AED 2,000 on the (economy) flight, for equivalent level cabin service. EK need to drop their prices or increasingly lose customers to their rivals in the region. The PPRuNe forum makes interesting reading as well.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates is cheaper for passengers originating outside the UAE, not within the UAE.

The passenger originating in Brazil or Argentina and flying to Dubai or transitioning through Dubai most likely paid a substantially lower fare than the passenger originating in Dubai and flying the same route.

We're a captive market and Emirates doesn't depend on the UAE market for its profits.

Originally Posted by Standanista
I fly DXB to São Paulo and Buenos Aires a fair bit and the fares are always significantly cheaper on Turkish or Qatar than Emirates. Via Istanbul is a pain but Doha is no drama at all when you're saving AED 2,000 on the (economy) flight, for equivalent level cabin service. EK need to drop their prices or increasingly lose customers to their rivals in the region. The PPRuNe forum makes interesting reading as well.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Emirates is cheaper for passengers originating outside the UAE, not within the UAE.
Exactly. Hence why I always have an Emirates return flight so I book LHR-DXB-LHR instead of the other way round.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I've just booked DXB - Amsterdam return in March. Emirates were 660 GBP odd, Etihad (who I often fly with) were cheaper but not much and KLM (who I frequently use) were a bit cheaper again. In the end booked BA via Heathrow for 450 GBP. Thats a 210 GBP saving! I know its BA which isn't great but at least they are consistently average where as Emirates have been hit and miss for a few years now. Also, theyre night flights so will just be crashed out anyway. There was also a Transavia flight (direct) for 230 GBP but I read their reviews and decided I'm not that bothered about an extra 200GBP.....
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I've just booked DXB - Amsterdam return in March. Emirates were 660 GBP odd, Etihad (who I often fly with) were cheaper but not much and KLM (who I frequently use) were a bit cheaper again. In the end booked BA via Heathrow for 450 GBP. Thats a 210 GBP saving! I know its BA which isn't great but at least they are consistently average where as Emirates have been hit and miss for a few years now. Also, theyre night flights so will just be crashed out anyway. There was also a Transavia flight (direct) for 230 GBP but I read their reviews and decided I'm not that bothered about an extra 200GBP.....
for 200 quid I'd rather fly direct.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
for 200 quid I'd rather fly direct.
I thought about it but going via Heathrow isn't a biggie with hand luggage, just an extra few hours of kip.

Also 300 euros in the Dam will definitely come in handy, especially at hotels running at 100 GBP a night.... and 3 nights of stag beers to finance.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Standanista
I completely understand the logic. That happens all over the world; carriers make you pay more for the convenience of going non-stop.

What I was trying to say is that Qatar Airways selling tickets at EUR 249 return between Brussels and India is just pretty much giving them away.

It is 4 medium/long-flights of the same distance, if you divide you get 62.25 EUR per ticket. And they have to pay taxes (probably not high in Qatar, but I am sure Belgium and India have plenty of taxes in the ticket). And the food, your weight and luggage (which consumes oil), if you lose your connection they will need to put you in some hotel... I reckon if they don't even lose money on so cheap tickets.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

I thought about it but going via Heathrow isn't a biggie with hand luggage, just an extra few hours of kip.

Also 300 euros in the Dam will definitely come in handy, especially at hotels running at 100 GBP a night.... and 3 nights of stag beers to finance.
Suppose it pays two of the nights in the hotel.

I had a wicked in time in Amsterdam, but I did go with two single birds and shared a room. Those were the ****ing days.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:16 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

There was also a Transavia flight (direct) for 230 GBP but I read their reviews and decided I'm not that bothered about an extra 200GBP.....
I and my family have flown Transavia quite a few times -- no probs so far, new fleet, cheap and cheerful (literally, unlike the surly staff on their parent's planes).
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I and my family have flown Transavia quite a few times -- no probs so far, new fleet, cheap and cheerful (literally, unlike the surly staff on their parent's planes).
Should have asked on here first it seems.

I did look online and all, and I mean all the reviews were negative. Tales of luggage issues, delays, bad mannered trolley dollies and minimal leg room.

Then again, who often leaves good reviews for an airline. I certainly haven't! Everyone loves a good moan.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had a wicked in time in Amsterdam, but I did go with two single birds and shared a room. Those were the ****ing days.
Yeah, I've been to the Dam many times. Generally I stop over for a day or two on the way back to the UK. Virtually no difference cost wise on KLM usually and it works well as a decompression between Dubai work time and UK family time.

Looking forward to this stag do too, should be decent, theres a decent crew going. Can't say I have ever been there with two single girls tho. Although I may have a lady friend coming to meet me from the UK for a few days after the stag do ....
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

your mum and sister don't count.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:19 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
your mum and sister don't count.
Sure they do!
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Are people really suggesting that the traffic in Dubai has lessened? Not in the main section from the Marina to Deira at hasn't. It's just awful and if you hit peak times a journey that can take 15 minutes in the middle of the day can take up to an hour.

I'd suggest the takings of Uber and Careem drivers have dropped as many people don't want to pay the increased rates. Plenty of redundancies are making many still in jobs nervous and they are watching their spending.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:54 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

I'd suggest the takings of Uber and Careem drivers have dropped as many people don't want to pay the increased rates.
Try booking a Careem for Thursday evening, even trying in the morning you have no chance. We have pretty much stopped going out to town Thursday night because the roads are always chocka. Friday is now the old Thursday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.