I've nothing to do
9.80%
I've already dumped the 4x4 at the airport
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

How is business?

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: How is business?

Originally Posted by norsk
my point is that redundant typically means the role (or function) is no longer required
Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
With the exception of mass culls, in my experience redundant is usually used for getting rid of someone whose face doesn't fit but the employer can't actually pin anything tangible on it. And then the position magically becomes necessary again 3 months later...
Redundancy in the UK is actual redundancy - ie; position no longer required or exists. Can't re-hire. OR everyone's gone in cost-cutting etc.

Redundancy here is; well, anything.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:47 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Redundancy in the UK is actual redundancy - ie; position no longer required or exists. Can't re-hire. OR everyone's gone in cost-cutting etc.

Redundancy here is; well, anything.
I think you can't legally rehire some one in that position for 6months?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
just try, for five minutes at least, to stop being a ****
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:36 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes and no. Legally, yes; tactically: a canny employer will weigh up the likelihood of the employee going down the route of a tribunal, and will then decide on the optimal course of action.

I was involved in a redundancy situation with a large company, and the MD told the employee (it wasn't me) that he was being made redundant "because he was too expensive" -- there was only one person in that position. The employee managed to negotiate a decent settlement, but the ignorance of the MD was astounding (well-seasoned guy, but a complete nightmare as a leader and manager: shame he's not reading this -- the words are too short).
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Don't believe that for a minute! This is the UAE and they can and do what they want a lot of the time.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

IN the UK there are laws meaning you can then be sued for things. Can't remember the time frames.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Well, yes and no. Legally, yes; tactically: a canny employer will weigh up the likelihood of the employee going down the route of a tribunal, and will then decide on the optimal course of action.

I was involved in a redundancy situation with a large company, and the MD told the employee (it wasn't me) that he was being made redundant "because he was too expensive" -- there was only one person in that position. The employee managed to negotiate a decent settlement, but the ignorance of the MD was astounding (well-seasoned guy, but a complete nightmare as a leader and manager: shame he's not reading this -- the words are too short).
You have to be so careful in the UK. However, if a business can demonstrate sound business reasons it's enough in a lot of cases.

Whereby someone feels discriminated against (off topic slightly) the onus is actually on the company to prove that they DIDN'T discriminate, rather than the person to prove they did. Bizarre.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 1:34 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Whereby someone feels discriminated against (off topic slightly) the onus is actually on the company to prove that they DIDN'T discriminate, rather than the person to prove they did. Bizarre.
Not so bizarre, really. The company's in the possesion of the facts about what led to the redundancy, and how it made the decision who to make redundant: therefore only the company can reasonably demonstrate one way or the other. It's certainly not as full-on "guilty until you prove yourself innocent" position assumed by HMRC and supported by the courts...
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Dubai is heavily dependent on tourism and business from neighbouring oil-dependent countries, so if there is an oil downturn, Dubai hotel industry will be affected directly.

So much for the "Dubai does not depend on oil"
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well to give some more insight to the DOH market I just started my new HR director role after my last project was cancelled in January. On the first day in the office i had to carry out 3 employee terminations due to budget cutbacks!
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

IN the UK there are laws meaning you can then be sued for things. Can't remember the time frames.

You have to be so careful in the UK. However, if a business can demonstrate sound business reasons it's enough in a lot of cases.

You are 100% right, haven been a HR "Professional" for over 10 years in the UK before moving to Doha redundancy is a legal minefield in the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali84
Well to give some more insight to the DOH market I just started my new HR director role after my last project was cancelled in January. On the first day in the office i had to carry out 3 employee terminations due to budget cutbacks!
Pretty shit job on your first day. Well pretty shit any time I suppose.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
Pretty shit job on your first day. Well pretty shit any time I suppose.
Yup had barely been there 3 hours when the MD dropped that in my lap, as you say its a shitty thing to do any time the dark side of HR as i call it.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:37 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I have on very good authority that local businesses have been given fines for telling their walkins that business is bad and that things are tough. Yes I know as bizarre as it may seem, there are 3 instances in which 2 x 5000 aed fines and 1 x 3000 fine was given to the respective business for calling a spade a spade. A 'customer' walked in and inquired about a product and then struck up a conversation with the sales person or the business owner and when he found complaints, magically transformed into an official and wrote out the fine there and then. I went out of my way to verify it and it was true. So....zip up lads and ladettes and repeat after me...all is great and we couldn't be happier
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

AUH_Eng is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloomberg article about rise of electric vehicles:

Another Oil Crash Is Coming, and There May Be No Recovery - Bloomberg Business
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 2:05 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AUH_Eng
Bloomberg article about electric cars
Uuuumnmm maybe it's just me but where does the electricity come from to power these things? In Dubai they mainly have gas powered electric generation , from the oilfields. So indirectly oil is still involved.
Something Green people tend to forget is that the electricity has to be generated to power these things, it's not done by magic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.