Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Originally Posted by shiva
yes.
as syb points out there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of kids in current third and second world countries doing just this and more. if parents want a spoon fed xbox moron go right ahead, if they want a kid that can get a job in 20 yrs time then get em learning. the UAE has a relatively short school year and long holidays are common, spilt down over the weeks its actually very little work or learning for them to do
Yep, it's an arrogance to think that our "temples of learning" will always churn out creative, motivated people - I can't speak of China with any authority but certainly the old view that the Indian mentality is too embedded in hierarchy to produce self-starters is no longer true. The "knowledge based economy" is by no means unassailable from the emerging world. And those suckers is hungry, my brethren.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:20 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with global warming is al gore and the media en mass ahve taken hold of it and strangled the science out of it, having replaced it with the usual complement of empty rhetoric and fear.
Al Gore should follow a process or set of rules in his calculations or other problem-solving operations on climate change...then he would an Al Gore rhythm !
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Al Gore should follow a process or set of rules in his calculations or other problem-solving operations on climate change...then he would an Al Gore rhythm !
Groan.... I take it you were being allegorical......
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:27 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Groan.... I take it you were being allegorical......

Touché monsieur !
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:25 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

SYB is spot on, google, microsoft, cisco etc already do a huge amount of their fresh grad hiring in India and Asia in general and not for the dubai reason of cheap labour but because they are super qualified, talented and unbeliveably motivated.
Instead of parents complaining about the level of work required of their child they should be saying, " oh shit" because this is whats expected by other parents and their children.
The west has become lazy and complacent and is in for an almighty shock. The dumbed down chicken has well and truely come home to rest i'm afraid.

(as an aside and purely a personal opinion, my belief is that relying on teachers and schools to provide the majority of a childs education is foolish in the extreme, whilst i'm also not a supporter of the total hot house approach, i do firmly believe that it is a parents role to educate and encourage self education within their child)
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
I remember the election when it was all Bush and Gore.............

Bit like a night on Channel 5 really..............
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

(as an aside and purely a personal opinion, my belief is that relying on teachers and schools to provide the majority of a childs education is foolish in the extreme, whilst i'm also not a supporter of the total hot house approach, i do firmly believe that it is a parents role to educate and encourage self education within their child)
I do too, that's another reason we are here in Dubai, there is more to educating a child than sitting in a classroom learning from a text book. However, I do think kids need some down time. My kids went to school in Australia until the end of August, then came here and went straight into the new school year at the beginning of September, this was their first real holiday for 18 months. My girls do a lot of dance comps and workshops on the holidays in Australia so the break in July was taken up with a dance comp. They didn't have mid-term last term (which is out of the norm for us anyway so didn't miss it) and they've had to do a couple of Saturdays as well.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
Well we got homework too - but only one essay - don't mind this holiday as we are here, due to that old credit crunch thing

I wonder how many kids completed their homework - I won't ever be able to write about thoses subjects!!!

I thing for grade 5 the homework is too much - what happens during the term - or is the teacher doing catch up?
Hi Poitin - I'll be interested to see how many kids complete it too. I'll let you know. I'm with you, I'm having to do the research with her because I don't know the answers to this stuff off the top of my head.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

Hows the home work going?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW it seems to me that Indian children are generally more academically gifted than our European counterparts. You should see some of the projects my 5 year old has to do on a Wednesday night. Schools here seem to follow Indian school regimes...for obvious reasons. I have no problems with that. Mind you, its a little annoying when she is asked to write in Arabic as well. Times have certainly changed from when I was a lad but I suppose we have to either keep up or shut up.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by seraphnina
Hows the home work going?
Not well, we'll finish the bulk of it on the weekend and hand it in next week. She's got a virus too so I'm not pushing her.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
FWIW it seems to me that Indian children are generally more academically gifted than our European counterparts. You should see some of the projects my 5 year old has to do on a Wednesday night. Schools here seem to follow Indian school regimes...for obvious reasons. I have no problems with that. Mind you, its a little annoying when she is asked to write in Arabic as well. Times have certainly changed from when I was a lad but I suppose we have to either keep up or shut up.
Obviously, that's why my daughter is 10 in grade 5 and her good Indian mate in the same class is 13 (oldest in the class).

Let's face it, kids are kids, the world over, you get gifted one's and not so gifted. It also depends on where their talents lie. My daughter is good at english and the arts, but not so great at maths and science, my son it's the other way around and my youngest can do anything she puts her mind to.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Thats absolute rubbish, Indian parents are notorious for pushing their children, they have no social life at all. Weekends is spent studying or attending extra tuition.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:13 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Thats absolute rubbish, Indian parents are notorious for pushing their children, they have no social life at all. Weekends is spent studying or attending extra tuition.
so who looks after the kids when the parents are studying ?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
so who looks after the kids when the parents are studying ?
oh bog off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.