Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Originally Posted by annacarna
Thats absolute rubbish, Indian parents are notorious for pushing their children, they have no social life at all. Weekends is spent studying or attending extra tuition.
I agree 100%, the kids don't really understand what they are doing, they just parrot fashion stuff, but it gives their parents some credential to brag about.

Note - not all Indian Kids before I get jumped on.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:16 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree 100%, the kids don't really understand what they are doing, they just parrot fashion stuff, but it gives their parents some credential to brag about.

Note - not all Indian Kids before I get jumped on.
well a lack of education worked for the bloke in Slumdog Millionaire....
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
well a lack of education worked for the bloke in Slumdog Millionaire....
who said he had a lack of education?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we did a couple of things on the weekend and she will finish off the project she started on the weekend tonight (after ballroom and singing). Tomorrow she can take in what she's finished along with a note from me with my views on school holidays and age appropriate homework. I've spoken to a number of parents who are doing the same thing.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kim67
Well we did a couple of things on the weekend and she will finish off the project she started on the weekend tonight (after ballroom and singing). Tomorrow she can take in what she's finished along with a note from me with my views on school holidays and age appropriate homework. I've spoken to a number of parents who are doing the same thing.
Cool. Hopefully you will get some constructive feedback.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seraphnina
Cool. Hopefully you will get some constructive feedback.
The teacher emailed me and wants to see me at pickup today about the homework letter. If this is my last post, it's means he's locked me in the broom cupboard - send out the search party.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

The teacher emailed me and wants to see me at pickup today about the homework letter. If this is my last post, it's means he's locked me in the broom cupboard - send out the search party.
Give him hell !!!

LOL
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:35 am
Concierge

you have til 4 pm to report back
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

Your in big trouble now. LOL

Will send out RoadKing, he has a big fast bike.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL did she get lost in the school system.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seraphnina
Your in big trouble now. LOL

Will send out RoadKing, he has a big fast bike.
Don't get me involved, every time I was sent to the heads office it was painful! They used the strap in my school, six of the best right across the wrists and hand. Ouch. Rather be kicked in the goolies!

No, that is not an open invitation.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Roadking
Don't get me involved, every time I was sent to the heads office it was painful! They used the strap in my school, six of the best right across the wrists and hand. Ouch. Rather be kicked in the goolies!

No, that is not an open invitation.
I'm back - sorry went straight to ballet from the meeting. Went well - he's given her (and 90% of the class) til the end of term to finish it. So she's just going to do one or two pieces per weekend. I kinda fell for him - he's got one lot of parents saying they don't believe in holiday homework and the another lot saying they want a sh*t load every day, holiday or no holiday.

It's hard in a country where you have so many international students with parents expecting different things from their child's education. It's hard to explain to an indian parent whose pushing and pushing for their child to achieve academically that in our country a plumber or miner can earn as much as a doctor or lawyer - that's why I'm more interested in a balanced education and they're more interested in academia.

Still can't wait to get my kids out of that school though.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 6:22 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back - sorry went straight to ballet from the meeting. Went well - he's given her (and 90% of the class) til the end of term to finish it. So she's just going to do one or two pieces per weekend. I kinda fell for him - he's got one lot of parents saying they don't believe in holiday homework and the another lot saying they want a sh*t load every day, holiday or no holiday.

It's hard in a country where you have so many international students with parents expecting different things from their child's education. It's hard to explain to an indian parent whose pushing and pushing for their child to achieve academically that in our country a plumber or miner can earn as much as a doctor or lawyer - that's why I'm more interested in a balanced education and they're more interested in academia.

Still can't wait to get my kids out of that school though.
its not just about salary though. Its more to do with percieved social standing, culturally some parents will believe that having a child who is a lawyer or a doctor is just dandy but they'd be horrified if that child went on to become a miner, regardless of salary.
when it comes to indian parents, personally i blame the caste system, you have a historical background where certain roles within society are filled only by certain castes, it removes any choice from a child in todays world, conversely it also allows a child to ascend the caste system to a degree........personally i thinks its pretty ****ed up but there are millions who dont share my view
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiva
its not just about salary though. Its more to do with percieved social standing, culturally some parents will believe that having a child who is a lawyer or a doctor is just dandy but they'd be horrified if that child went on to become a miner, regardless of salary.
when it comes to indian parents, personally i blame the caste system, you have a historical background where certain roles within society are filled only by certain castes, it removes any choice from a child in todays world, conversely it also allows a child to ascend the caste system to a degree........personally i thinks its pretty ****ed up but there are millions who dont share my view
Yep, agree completely.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:00 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

I'm interested in your comments re Indian families Shiva...
Don't you think 'opportunity' is coming down the ranks(classes) more?10/11 months ago India was growing millionaires at a faster rate than anywhere else in the world. I don't know how many of those millionaires were 'old money' or a product of dogged determination having been given 'one chance' to prove themselves.The homegrown entrepreneurs are returning £££ to their country by way of supporting educational establishments and providing 'burseries' for the local (Academic) hero.....
All this imho adulterates the caste system but where I agree with you most is in your references to children being children and finding their own niche as opposed to carrying the ambitions of an academically frustrated parent.
One of my dearest friends in UK is Indian.He has three kids all of whom graduated in their chosen disciplines.They got three or so years each in their own field then acquieseced(sp?) to the family wishes and joined their company.Clearly they are not happy

Last edited by Eva; Apr 28th 2009 at 9:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.