Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Okay, my daughter was given some homework to do over the school holidays (and after school this week). She's 10 and in grade 5, but I think this is a bit over the top, what do you guys think. I'll give you a portion of it.

Formal Writing - You are to write two essays, both in the affirmative or in the negative for the following questions.

1. Holiday homework should not be given to students over their breaks.

2. It is the government's responsibility to look after the environment, not the citizens.

Creative Writing - You are to write two creative stories, the topics are your choice. However, the two stories are not allowed to be based on similar themes. They must have a beginning, middle and and an end and be detailed......it goes on and on.........

Science - Study the handout which explains how global warming occurs.

1. Identify how and why the Earth is heating up.

2. Create a T-chart which gives four potential negatives and positives of global warming. Explain how each one would be a negative/positive in detail.

3. Explain how in detail the rise in the world's population has contributed to our pollution issues - half page minimum.

4. In detail explain why water is so important to life. State how we are polluting this valuable resource and give possible solutions to these issues - half page minimum.

5. Write a fictional diary account of having to move to a new home due to flooding as a result of global warming.

This is the first page of homework, there are three more of similar detail and amount including montages, drawings, more essays, maths and social studies. In Australia in primary school, holidays are for time out from school, is this normal here? I think it's a bit excessive.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homework Question for those with Primary School Aged Kids

Originally Posted by Kim67
Okay, my daughter was given some homework to do over the school holidays (and after school this week). She's 10 and in grade 5, but I think this is a bit over the top, what do you guys think. I'll give you a portion of it.

Formal Writing - You are to write two essays, both in the affirmative or in the negative for the following questions.

2. It is the government's responsibility to look after the environment, not the citizens.

Creative Writing - You are to write two creative stories, the topics are your choice. However, the two stories are not allowed to be based on similar themes. They must have a beginning, middle and and an end and be detailed......it goes on and on.........

2. Create a T-chart which gives four potential negatives and positives of global warming. Explain how each one would be a negative/positive in detail.

3. Explain how in detail the rise in the world's population has contributed to our pollution issues - half page minimum.

4. In detail explain why water is so important to life. State how we are polluting this valuable resource and give possible solutions to these issues - half page minimum.

5. Write a fictional diary account of having to move to a new home due to flooding as a result of global warming.

This is the first page of homework, there are three more of similar detail and amount including montages, drawings, more essays, maths and social studies. In Australia in primary school, holidays are for time out from school, is this normal here? I think it's a bit excessive.
that is ridiculous! my 10 year old niece used to live with us, a few years back now but she didn't get homework like this at all. I wouldn't be happy.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:21 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

and your problem is what, sorry ?.....lol

sod me, we didnt do stuff like that in the 5th form comprehensive when I was there, never mind when I was 10.

All i wanted to do when I was 10, was play 'it' or british bulldog !
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, thanks for your input guys, thought I might have been out of touch or something. Think I'll have a word to the teacher.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:25 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Just that first page sounds like an awful lot of essays to write ... and you say there are three more pages like that !

I don't know how many days off school the kids get there but it does sound like rather a lot of work on very deep topics for a 10 yr old.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like high school stuff to me ! Which school does she attend?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:28 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, thanks for your input guys, thought I might have been out of touch or something. Think I'll have a word to the teacher.
too right Kim, I really think that is over the top. Not sure if we have any teachers on the site for a second opinion, all I know is that I would want my 10 year old out enjoying herself not stuck in the house doing this.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by soukie
Looks like high school stuff to me ! Which school does she attend?
Raffles.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

If she at the MIT or the NASA???
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
too right Kim, I really think that is over the top. Not sure if we have any teachers on the site for a second opinion, all I know is that I would want my 10 year old out enjoying herself not stuck in the house doing this.
I think maybe the teachers are getting pushed by some parents, but I'm not one of them. Be a kid first, plenty of time to get in trouble for not doing this sort of homework when you're chasing boys at high school.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:34 pm
Concierge

I think maybe the teachers are getting pushed by some parents, but I'm not one of them. Be a kid first, plenty of time to get in trouble for not doing this sort of homework when you're chasing boys at high school.
I totally agree, my nearly 5 year old had homework, reading and phonetics, did it a couple of times with her then she got all upset because she can't read the words properly. I am not going to push her. It was bad enough DESS turned her down on the grounds of she couldn't read!! course she can't she is 4
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Well we got homework too - but only one essay - don't mind this holiday as we are here, due to that old credit crunch thing

I wonder how many kids completed their homework - I won't ever be able to write about thoses subjects!!!

I thing for grade 5 the homework is too much - what happens during the term - or is the teacher doing catch up?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I totally agree, my nearly 5 year old had homework, reading and phonetics, did it a couple of times with her then she got all upset because she can't read the words properly. I am not going to push her. It was bad enough DESS turned her down on the grounds of she couldn't read!! course she can't she is 4

Unbelievable
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by soukie
Unbelievable
too right Soukie!! unbloodybelievable if you ask me! did the assessment a couple of months ago for a September start and then they rang me to say she wasn't up to their standard!! boy how times have changed - at one time DESS didn't even do an entrance exam never mind for a 4 year old!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:43 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Did I read somewhere that Raffles is associated with Singapore???????? Only I know of a few cases of kids leaving here for Sing and been waaaay behind and also kids from Sing coming here who were streets ahead - so maybe this is the problem.

My 11 year old in year 7 gets nothing like this at all so pretty sure its not normal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.