Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

help to change Abercrombie & Fitch's brand message

help to change Abercrombie & Fitch's brand message

Old May 16th 2013, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help to change Abercrombie & Fitch's brand message

What A&F do though is just a brand building exercise. They’ve created themselves as an exclusive, aspirational clothing brand for young, fit, good looking, preppy American college kids.

In lots of instances when people shop, they shop a brand up from their actually social positioning, as they perceive that by doing so the brand attributes they associate with the up level product will transfer to them and by associated with them by others – I have an A&F t-shirt on therefore I’m in the A&F ‘gang’, therefore I’m good young/thin/good looking. A&F know this and they know that the brand they’ve created has an exclusive cache amongst those who aspire to be or to associate with types who are like the models they use in their ads and stores.

In 2006 A&F CEO Mike Jeffries said, “In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he told the site. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either,”

On the face of it a fairly horrible statement, but completely in tone with their brand image and associations and reinforcing the perception that if you wear A&F you are in the cool and popular gang. Let’s be honest, if they only sold their clothes to those who fit the model good looks and body that they portray as being their target market they’d sell a lot fewer skinny t-shirts. However, kids are stupid, parents are stupid, people are stupid so they buy this stuff because of the way it’s been marketed to them/their kids.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

How fat are you?

I have a 31' waist. It's a right pain as most trousers and shorts are either 30' or 32' whereas 31' is perfect.

I would much rather be skinny than fat. The health problems that come with being overweight are significant, you're likely to live a much shorter life and suffer from more illnesses.

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd much rather be my size and build than skinny. No shadow of doubt in that.

If A&F didn't fit, I wouldn't wear it.

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying going into River Island or somewhere for a cheap pair of chinos / shorts and realising they only go up to a 36 waist....well, it's annoying until you remember that nice shops go higher
Old May 16th 2013, 10:20 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
How fat are you?

I have a 31' waist. It's a right pain as most trousers and shorts are either 30' or 32' whereas 31' is perfect.

I would much rather be skinny than fat. The health problems that come with being overweight are significant, you're likely to live a much shorter life and suffer from more illnesses.
31?! No healthy man should have a 31 inch waist. Are you 11 years old?

Unless you are 4'6"and a jockey.

Last edited by britexpat76; May 16th 2013 at 10:21 am. Reason: Jockeys.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to have to respecfully disagree.

If we want to live in a democractic society one of the principles we must accept is the prohibition of discrimination in the public sphere. In democratic societies that includes no discrimination against customers who can afford the product.
I, too, must respectfully disagree. Although partly a matter of semantics, discrimination is good. I'm not talking about those types of discrimination which are illegal (racial, religious and so on), but about making decisions based on how to run a business. I was asked some time ago, "Do you discriminate at work?". "Hell yes." Because the opposite of discriminating is being indiscriminate. However, I do take note of Theseus' point about the "vendetta" against overweight people (of whom I'm one), but on balance I don't see an issue with A&F doing what they do.

Refusing to make clothes in a certain size is not A&F's problem nor is it discriminatory.

A&F, as with any business, is offering a product. It doesn't matter who wants to buy the product, A&F can't prevent the sale of that product to the customer as long as the customer has the money to pay for the sale. Bahtboy was implying that A&F has the right to deliberately not sell to a certain customer (discrimination), not that A&F has the right to not make something in a certain size (not discrimination).

It's not A&F's problem if someone buys something way too small.
Yes, I was saying that A&F have the right to discriminate (except illegally) about who they sell to, and I agree that they have absolute discretion about deciding not to make XXL size or whatever. UK's economy was built on a laissez faire approach, and I like that.

I really like Paul Smith stuff. They don't make suits that accommodate my Ray Winston-sized chest. That's for me to do something about, not them.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

How fat are you?

I'm 6'2" and just shy of 17 stone. I normally hang around 16.5 stone though, I've had a few burgers recently.

Because of my height I don't look too lardy, which is great. But I do look a bit like a sausage. Broad shoulders and just a solid width all the way down. Like a sausage, but human.

It means I have a big waist - 38 generally works well, but I needn't have the cock / arse area the size of a tent like a lot of 38 waisters need.

This is hard to explain.

I'm fat, but not. Trousers and shorts are a ****ing nightmare.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

How fat are you?

31 inch waist??????! Are you an Ewok?
Old May 16th 2013, 10:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
I don't know what works unfortunately, but i think it starts with acceptance, a non-judgemental stance and the knowledge that there isnt much you can do to help other than let them come to their own conclusions and decide to do something about it on their own. Do you think for one second a fat person doesn't realise they are fat? or, for that matter, the basic rules of how not to be fat?

Trying to help someone else by controlling or heavily influencing their behaviour and/or getting pissed off when they don't listen or rtake your advice is called codependancy.
I don't, coz I am one and I know it. And I, too, don't know what works--so far constant reminders from Bahtatgirl (which I encourage) haven't worked, self-realisation (which I've always had) doesn't work, kind words don't work, knowledge of what to eat doesn't work, half-getting there didn't work, not being able to wear half my wardrobe doesn't work.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:31 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I don't, coz I am one and I know it. And I, too, don't know what works--so far constant reminders from Bahtatgirl (which I encourage) haven't worked, self-realisation (which I've always had) doesn't work, kind words don't work, knowledge of what to eat doesn't work, half-getting there didn't work, not being able to wear half my wardrobe doesn't work.
That could be said for a few of us
Old May 16th 2013, 10:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But are you happy?
Old May 16th 2013, 10:32 am
Account Closed

No.

My height is 6'1.

Originally Posted by britexpat76
31?! No healthy man should have a 31 inch waist. Are you 11 years old?

Unless you are 4'6"and a jockey.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:34 am
Account Closed

No.

My height is 6'1.
I'm taller than you.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

If we want to live in a democractic society one of the principles we must accept is the prohibition of discrimination in the public sphere. When you operate a for-profit business you are operating in the public sphere and as such you cannot discriminate against customers for reasons other than the price of the good being sold (which represents the cost of your goods/services). The only exception to this would be if the business has a genuine fear that the sale of the product to a certain client can lead to ill-harm against the public elswhere, but the business would have to demonstrably justify their concerns.
So, you are saying that A&F is discriminatory because it does not produce products that everyone can fit into? If so, but that logic every clothes shop would have to produce clothes of all sizes so that everyone can buy them or they are being discriminatory. If a shop set up only to sell clothes to short people are they discriminating against those who are tall?

A&F have simply chosen a desired target demographic for their product, and produced and marketed to fit. That in itself is not unusual, they are just on the fringes of what is normal for such a practice.
Old May 16th 2013, 10:35 am
Shark Fisherman

I'm taller than you.
And fatter

Seriously though 6'1 and 31" waist? He must look like ****ing Rodney Trotter

Last edited by britexpat76; May 16th 2013 at 10:35 am. Reason: I was not addressing Scamp
Old May 16th 2013, 10:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

No.

My height is 6'1.
6'1" with a 31" waist? Get thee to Greggs Tarquin!
Old May 16th 2013, 10:36 am
Account Closed

You know, Scamp.

You've made it clear you smoke a lot. You eat junk food. You're a right solid boozer. You don't exercise. You're heavy. You seem rather proud of it.

That's what I find curious about people with similar mindsets - they know what they do isn't healthy and that it will have detrimental consequences at some point but they somehow take pleasure in it. Is it their way of thumbing their noses at convention?

Of course it's people like me who'll end up being stuck with the NHS bills due to your early and painful deaths.

But are you happy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.