Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Girlfriends birthday...

Wikiposts

Girlfriends birthday...

Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:07 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriends birthday...

Originally Posted by Scamp
Negotiable. Bought her a ring a while back though and she doesn't wear lots of jewellery...so might be a waste heading down that route. Also, need it by tomorrow night.
I've bought my wife Tiffany's in the past a couple of time and while it gets you brownie points I also got the "Why did you spend extra buying from Tiffany's?"

The last thing I bought her was one of the white ceramic watches that all women apparently have to own. It lasted 9 months before my daughter dropped it on the floor and the bloody thing is in a million pieces...

How about a dance class together? There is one in the French restaurant in MoE that is combined with eating great food and drinking red wine. It might actually make it less like torture..
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:10 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

White ceramic watches? Sounds awful.

Why do some people only value a gift due to its price? I'd much rather be given something personal (stop it!), that the giver had thought about. One of my all time favourite gifts was a pair of banana trees. (There are genuinely no euphemisms in this post.)
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Why do some people only value a gift due to its price? I'd much rather be given something personal (stop it!), that the giver had thought about. One of my all time favourite gifts was a pair of banana trees. (There are genuinely no euphemisms in this post.)
Quite right. I'd far rather have an azalea than an Aston.

However, how about a new Kindle replete with all the things she likes to read, plus subscriptions to her favourite mags?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I will be making her a card. This is one thing that I know she will absolutely love. She knows my solution to everything is to chuck money at it so if I spend ages constructing the world's greatest card then she'll be over the moon.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Quite right. I'd far rather have an azalea than an Aston.

However, how about a new Kindle replete with all the things she likes to read, plus subscriptions to her favourite mags?
Kindle is not a bad shout, but she isn't a big reader at all. Magazine subby is a good shout though, can you do it like the UK here as in they deliver it weekly / monthly?

Originally Posted by norsk
I've bought my wife Tiffany's in the past a couple of time and while it gets you brownie points I also got the "Why did you spend extra buying from Tiffany's?"

The last thing I bought her was one of the white ceramic watches that all women apparently have to own. It lasted 9 months before my daughter dropped it on the floor and the bloody thing is in a million pieces...

How about a dance class together? There is one in the French restaurant in MoE that is combined with eating great food and drinking red wine. It might actually make it less like torture..
She likes Tiffany stuff but I've been told the only thing in Tiffany she would want is an engagement ring. I don't go in there now.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Kindle is not a bad shout, but she isn't a big reader at all. Magazine subby is a good shout though, can you do it like the UK here as in they deliver it weekly / monthly?
Possibly depends where your Amazon a/c is based, but recently I've bought some UK mags from here, guess it will be the same for subs.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:25 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly depends where your Amazon a/c is based, but recently I've bought some UK mags from here, guess it will be the same for subs.
Most magazines are availabe to download for free if you know where to look...

Scampi - have you asked her what she really wants? Trying to guess is all well and good, but why not ask what she wants and buy her that, within reason.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hmm. I'll investigate. Good shout, some good ideas here.

Thanks folks.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Scampi - have you asked her what she really wants? Trying to guess is all well and good, but why not ask what she wants and buy her that, within reason.
Oh god yes.

She says that the 4 tyres I put on her car and the F1 ticket are enough.

But I reckon tyres and a ticket to something she's not that interested in are pretty shit presents.

She's given me 4-5 things that are good ideas but only 1 or 2 are decent presents so wanted some fresh thinking for a couple of others.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:46 pm
Bored liberal

Oh god yes.

She says that the 4 tyres I put on her car and the F1 ticket are enough.

But I reckon tyres and a ticket to something she's not that interested in are pretty shit presents.

She's given me 4-5 things that are good ideas but only 1 or 2 are decent presents so wanted some fresh thinking for a couple of others.

You sem to have spent a fair bit already, so just get her a few nice bits and pices that she can unwrap on the day. That seems to be what she is telling you too! Posh cosmetics/toiletries are usually good, if you get the brands right. Make her a voucher to claim breakfast in bed, valid for 10 breakfasts. Take her out for the biggest ice cream sundae you can find.

Caring isn't just about spending money
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

You sem to have spent a fair bit already, so just get her a few nice bits and pices that she can unwrap on the day. That seems to be what she is telling you too! Posh cosmetics/toiletries are usually good, if you get the brands right. Make her a voucher to claim breakfast in bed, valid for 10 breakfasts. Take her out for the biggest ice cream sundae you can find.

Caring isn't just about spending money
Good shout.

I'll make her some vouchers for some shit that I know she'll appreciate. That's a blinding money-saving present that she'll love.

Thanks Meow.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this girl is worth this thread......... lots of love and goodwill here......
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Dean
I hope this girl is worth this thread......... lots of love and goodwill here......
Yeah. She puts up with me and I'm a monumental dickhead.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

Sounds like I really need to up my game on the buying presents for my wife! Seems like just a card and a bag of crisps isn't enough anymore!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

One year my ex bought me a Slendertone thingy wrapped in a carrier bag (i resisted the urge to wrap it round his neck) The next year he bought me a DVD, 12 years of gifts like this I put up with. There are more important things in a relationship I know, but I bought him things like a flying lesson, a party at a kids playgym thing (ball pits giant slides etc after hours with alcohol), Tickets to concerts etc etc etc.

I never really felt I meant as much to him as he did to me, and it wasnt the value of the gifts that mattered it was the lack of thought. I was probably right, he was a bit of a prick. Still one of my best friends though.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:21 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
One year my ex bought me a Slendertone thingy wrapped in a carrier bag (i resisted the urge to wrap it round his neck) The next year he bought me a DVD, 12 years of gifts like this I put up with. There are more important things in a relationship I know, but I bought him things like a flying lesson, a party at a kids playgym thing (ball pits giant slides etc after hours with alcohol), Tickets to concerts etc etc etc.

I never really felt I meant as much to him as he did to me, and it wasnt the value of the gifts that mattered it was the lack of thought. I was probably right, he was a bit of a prick. Still one of my best friends though.
Have you considered that he might have thought that was all you were worth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.