Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Football Betting...........

Football Betting...........

Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:52 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Football Betting...........

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Le Arse were all over them up until the first goal. Then as soon as the second went it very soon after I thought it would be curtains for them. Fair do's to them tho they came out fighting in the second half.

As I said in the other thread tho, some of Arsenal players really are average. Take out Carzola, Wiltshire and Theo and I wouldn't have any of the remainder in my team. Giroud is awful!

Not sure if the Ox is injured at the moment or just out of favour?
I'd have to agree with most of that though I'd keep Sagna (assuming he can recover his full form) and Gibbs as well. And Arteta is worth having in most squads - his contribution hasn't been so obvious since Cazorla arrived and he has played further back but I can't forget his role in salvaging last season: the first match that Arse won without him in 2013 was the last day squeaker against the Baggies that secured third.

Ox not injured but his role being rethought again I have heard. He has been a bit of a disappointment latterly in fairness.

Now that we are into it, this long break before the pretty hopeless Munich away leg is about the worst thing that could come after such an important (if reasonably respectable apart from the two moments of madness) loss...
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like City were lucky to come away with the points according to BBC. A goal on the stroke of HT and then some dangerous crosses and Tevez clearing off the line...
Typical BBC bias. In fact, Shots on goal: Villa 10 City 20; Shots on Target; Villa 1-8 City: several brilliant saves by Villa goalie, City twice hit the woodwork and a goal disallowed. Without Kompany, Barry and Aguero, it was a solid performance. Looking forward to watching United dumped out of the Champions League tonight.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:01 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Typical BBC bias. In fact, Shots on goal: Villa 10 City 20; Shots on Target; Villa 1-8 City: several brilliant saves by Villa goalie, City twice hit the woodwork and a goal disallowed. Without Kompany, Barry and Aguero, it was a solid performance. Looking forward to watching United dumped out of the Champions League tonight.
Watching it I would agree with the BBC Villa were the best team for large parts of the second half and a lot of pressure at the end - But citeh did have chances on the break. Shit game
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Is this possible blue moon tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by Britexpat76
Watching it I would agree with the BBC Villa were the best team for large parts of the second half and a lot of pressure at the end - But citeh did have chances on the break. Shit game.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I'd have to agree with most of that though I'd keep Sagna (assuming he can recover his full form) and Gibbs as well. And Arteta is worth having in most squads - his contribution hasn't been so obvious since Cazorla arrived and he has played further back but I can't forget his role in salvaging last season: the first match that Arse won without him in 2013 was the last day squeaker against the Baggies that secured third.

Ox not injured but his role being rethought again I have heard. He has been a bit of a disappointment latterly in fairness.

Now that we are into it, this long break before the pretty hopeless Munich away leg is about the worst thing that could come after such an important (if reasonably respectable apart from the two moments of madness) loss...
Sagna - when he is on form possibly.
Gibbs - meh, who would he push out in the other top 5 teams?
Arteta - not anymore to be honest. Used to watch him week in week out when I lived in Glasgow and he was at Rangers, but he seems to be a shadow of what he once was.
The Ox - I haven't seen him lately but he looked like a promising player in the Euro's. I just hope that he doesn't turn into a Lennon / Theo type winger who is v v v fast but can't cross the ball.

Talking about Theo, what are your thoughts as to his position? I much prefer him in a striking role in the centre than on the wing. And with Giroud and Podolski not exactly setting the world alight I think he should be given a decent chance.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:05 am

Sagna - when he is on form possibly.
Gibbs - meh, who would he push out in the other top 5 teams?
Arteta - not anymore to be honest. Used to watch him week in week out when I lived in Glasgow and he was at Rangers, but he seems to be a shadow of what he once was.
The Ox - I haven't seen him lately but he looked like a promising player in the Euro's. I just hope that he doesn't turn into a Lennon / Theo type winger who is v v v fast but can't cross the ball.

Talking about Theo, what are your thoughts as to his position? I much prefer him in a striking role in the centre than on the wing. And with Giroud and Podolski not exactly setting the world alight I think he should be given a decent chance.
I think the issue with Theo is less about his position - he can be and has been excellent out wide and through the middle and I think that's a big part of his value - but about his form. He is kind of a microcosm for the whole team in that his performance varies dramatically from match to match for no apparent reason and regardless of which position he is playing. He has never had a sustained run of form, ever. After Cesc left it was RvP finally finding a solid run of injury-free good form that secured a decent place in last season's table (the bastard has kept it up too and there was me thinking/hoping it would be a one-season wonder). We've had nobody except possibly latterly Wilshere to carry that banner this year. Even Cazorla has had a couple of stinkers in the last few weeks. Alas I think Theo will only ever be a bit-part player - a really useful one with moments of brilliance but not somebody you could build a team around.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the issue with Theo is less about his position - he can be and has been excellent out wide and through the middle and I think that's a big part of his value - but about his form. He is kind of a microcosm for the whole team in that his performance varies dramatically from match to match for no apparent reason and regardless of which position he is playing. He has never had a sustained run of form, ever. After Cesc left it was RvP finally finding a solid run of injury-free good form that secured a decent place in last season's table (the bastard has kept it up too and there was me thinking/hoping it would be a one-season wonder). We've had nobody except possibly latterly Wilshere to carry that banner this year. Even Cazorla has had a couple of stinkers in the last few weeks. Alas I think Theo will only ever be a bit-part player - a really useful one with moments of brilliance but not somebody you could build a team around.
I totally agree. How old was Henry when he finally 'Clicked'?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I totally agree. How old was Henry when he finally 'Clicked'?
Later part of his first season at the Arse so probably 22/23 which i guess is about Theo's age now - but I'm not holding my breath...
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough but it takes time to get used to playing in a certain position. and I don't mean just him but the rest of the team around him as they need to start reading what he is going to do, what runs he is likely to / can make. As such, without Arsene giving him a decent run in the team and chopping him from the wing to into the central again he may never realise his full potential.

At the end of the day, Wiltshire is going to be the player that Arsene builds the team around, similar to how several failed managers have done at Liverpool with Gerard, or Mancini with Yaya, Arsene previously with Viera, SAF with Keane etc. He will be the heart of the team. The rest of it is getting a solid back line, some dependable strikers and some probing wingers. I think the problem Arsene has is that with the relitively new arrivals of Giroud and Podolski he can't afford to upset the apple cart whacking Theo up there.

As for RVP - thanks!

On another note, I read somewhere once (not sure if this is anywhere near true) that Arsene doesn't actually take any training sessions himself. Rather he leads it to his backroom staff and then picks his team based on their recommendations. To me, I can't see how that is the right way to work, well that's assuming its true that is.

So honestly, do you see your team making the top 4 this season? I think (hope) the title is pretty much done and dusted but I can see a decent battle for the remaining 3 spots. I was actually going to say I could see Spurs taking 2nd but then I remembered it was Spurs....
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought City pissed it last night

Villa had 1 header on target in the whole game

I backed 0-2
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:24 am

Fair enough but it takes time to get used to playing in a certain position. and I don't mean just him but the rest of the team around him as they need to start reading what he is going to do, what runs he is likely to / can make. As such, without Arsene giving him a decent run in the team and chopping him from the wing to into the central again he may never realise his full potential.

At the end of the day, Wiltshire is going to be the player that Arsene builds the team around, similar to how several failed managers have done at Liverpool with Gerard, or Mancini with Yaya, Arsene previously with Viera, SAF with Keane etc. He will be the heart of the team. The rest of it is getting a solid back line, some dependable strikers and some probing wingers. I think the problem Arsene has is that with the relitively new arrivals of Giroud and Podolski he can't afford to upset the apple cart whacking Theo up there.

As for RVP - thanks!

On another note, I read somewhere once (not sure if this is anywhere near true) that Arsene doesn't actually take any training sessions himself. Rather he leads it to his backroom staff and then picks his team based on their recommendations. To me, I can't see how that is the right way to work, well that's assuming its true that is.

So honestly, do you see your team making the top 4 this season? I think (hope) the title is pretty much done and dusted but I can see a decent battle for the remaining 3 spots. I was actually going to say I could see Spurs taking 2nd but then I remembered it was Spurs....
Sad to say I agree with all of this. I don't believe that bit about Arsene and the training though: he certainly spends plenty of time in Colney and I'd guess his involvement is similar to SAF at ManU.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sad to say I agree with all of this. I don't believe that bit about Arsene and the training though: he certainly spends plenty of time in Colney and I'd guess his involvement is similar to SAF at ManU.
As I say, that was just something I read so not sure if it's true or not. He is a strange fish tho!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:35 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Sandboy
I thought City pissed it last night

Villa had 1 header on target in the whole game

I backed 0-2
You were unlucky then had Dzeko? stayed onside with the disallowed goal.

The thought of losing money does put a slightly different slant on the game. I think had city gone 2 up there could of been a lot more goals.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:37 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Manure or Real tonight then?

Would love to see Madrid hammer them, but can't see it happening.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Right, back to the bets... anyone got any?

I'm backing:

- HT/FT either way.
- 2-1 with RVP first scorer
- 2-1 with Giggs anytime scorer

Will whack a few more on too but will need to have a trawl on Bet365 to find some decent bets.

Saying that, my heart is probably ruling my head.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.