Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha - Where to Live

Doha - Where to Live

Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:30 am
Just Joined

markdyson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha - Where to Live

Just moved to Doha. Currently residing in a hotel and need to find a place to stay.

Looking for a furnished apartment, but unsure of the right locations. What is the best region to stay in?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:04 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha - Where to Live

Originally Posted by markdyson
Just moved to Doha. Currently residing in a hotel and need to find a place to stay.

Looking for a furnished apartment, but unsure of the right locations. What is the best region to stay in?
Depends on what you want to spend amigo. You can get 2 bed furnished apartments from 8k or pay 20k for furnished and serviced in West Bay.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Depends on what you want to spend amigo. You can get 2 bed furnished apartments from 8k or pay 20k for furnished and serviced in West Bay.
I was looking to pay 8-10K per month for a furnished pad...

What are the best districts? There are absolutely loads.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:09 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking to pay 8-10K per month for a furnished pad...

What are the best districts? There are absolutely loads.
On that budget, Al Sadd or Al Waab. Plenty to do around there as there is a few hotels, La Cigale - Ramada plenty of shops and close enough to west bay - 20 chips to get there. Grab some wheels and go walk about.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:14 am
Just Joined

On that budget, Al Sadd or Al Waab. Plenty to do around there as there is a few hotels, La Cigale - Ramada plenty of shops and close enough to west bay - 20 chips to get there. Grab some wheels and go walk about.
Thanks. What is Ain Khaled like. There looks to be some good rates for apartments within a compound over there?

I just arrived yesterday and have at least another week before I start my job so will do some roaming around. Just don't want to waste to much time on places that aren't worth visiting.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:23 am
Shark Fisherman

Thanks. What is Ain Khaled like. There looks to be some good rates for apartments within a compound over there?

I just arrived yesterday and have at least another week before I start my job so will do some roaming around. Just don't want to waste to much time on places that aren't worth visiting.
Ain Khaled gate? Thats at the top of Salwa road?? If thats the one it is good and popular but a bit far out for me. You will need to have a driver to come and get you all the time. I prefer to wonder out and wave one down in a minute - Its also far cheaper.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Ain Khaled gate? Thats at the top of Salwa road?? If thats the one it is good and popular but a bit far out for me. You will need to have a driver to come and get you all the time. I prefer to wonder out and wave one down in a minute - Its also far cheaper.
Thanks a lot for the help.

Do you ever go to any of the meets that thy arrange on here? I need to start getting out to meet people.

What industry are you in?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:55 am
Shark Fisherman

Thanks a lot for the help.

Do you ever go to any of the meets that thy arrange on here? I need to start getting out to meet people.

What industry are you in?
Next time we are out I will let you know. I sell dodgy cars to Expats.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Next time we are out I will let you know. I sell dodgy cars to Expats.
Great, you can find me a Mitsubishi Pajero if you like?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

dohadesertdog is an unknown quantity at this point

britexpat - you know anything about exporting dodgy cars to the UAE for dodgy expats???!

Ain Khaled apartments are small i believe but the compound has great facilities. ZigZag is in that budget but I cant reccomend it! Ain Khaled is fine location wise provided you drive as everyone does! You can only walk out and get a taxi ont he street if you live in west bay or perhaps the pearl these days
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:27 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by dohadesertdog
britexpat - you know anything about exporting dodgy cars to the UAE for dodgy expats???!

Ain Khaled apartments are small i believe but the compound has great facilities. ZigZag is in that budget but I cant reccomend it! Ain Khaled is fine location wise provided you drive as everyone does! You can only walk out and get a taxi ont he street if you live in west bay or perhaps the pearl these days
What age is the car? I know a company that will shift it for about 4k and as a bonus you can chuck a load of stuff in it.

You can get cabs on Al Waab or Al Saad just as easy as West Bay without paying the premium it doesn't warrant. Most are serviced now and small. Forget Ezdan as its a shithole.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

2012 x-terra. drove round to AD last year was pretty painless. thinking of doing it again to export it myself but that option seems to be confusing most of the companies/agents that i talk to so far!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:34 am
Shark Fisherman

2012 x-terra. drove round to AD last year was pretty painless. thinking of doing it again to export it myself but that option seems to be confusing most of the companies/agents that i talk to so far!
All you do is go to the police and get export plates put on which you pay 1k to do including a weeks insurance. Problem is the other end as you need a UAE residency to re register car, unless you get a mate to register it.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

going completely off topic here so apologies but.....

problem is finding a weekend between now and my qatar visa cancellation to do it. in theory i could transfer ownership to a mate in qatar, he drive it through then register it in my name in AD as I'll be there by then?

will that work? the required mate is willing, for the price of a hotel in AD for the night and a pint for every 100 clicks!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:50 am
Shark Fisherman

going completely off topic here so apologies but.....

problem is finding a weekend between now and my qatar visa cancellation to do it. in theory i could transfer ownership to a mate in qatar, he drive it through then register it in my name in AD as I'll be there by then?

will that work? the required mate is willing, for the price of a hotel in AD for the night and a pint for every 100 clicks!
Sounds like a plan. Just wait until you have UAE residency and make sure it is going to be done quick else you are car less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.