Wikiposts

Film 2009 onwards....

Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:32 pm
W10

Default Re: Film 2009 onwards....

Originally Posted by Autonomy
After seeing his cameo in Tropic Thunder I may not be able to take him seriously ever again (his cameo is fantastic)....
You could in the first place?

Thing about Tom Cruise is that his acting is the same, whatever movie he is in.

Even in Tropic Thunder he is Tom Cruise, likewise in Valkryie. His mannerisms, his facial expressions, his way of speaking never changes.

However, Valkryie isn't a bad film at all. I just wish they'd concentrated a bit more on the character development and the dramatics of the attempt. Bearing in mind we know the outcome and that they ultimately fail - it would have been wiser to go a little more in depth about the motivations of the key characters (as my memory of history seems to recall differing rationale).

But as I was pondering this (and how Eddie Izzard did very well in a very dramatic role) I then realised that half of the people in the cinema had probably never even heard of this particular story, which is familiar to a lot of Europeans. So maybe it does (as it is one hollywood film which is historically accurate) serve a real purpose.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:46 pm
W10

Originally Posted by The Dean
So can anyone explain the ending of NCFOM?

And anyway very few films will ever surpass Fargo - by any director..........
In a nutshell.

Modern day society is different. Things change, and as you get older you become increasingly marginalised, you can't keep up, are always one step behind the pace, you don't understand things as clearly and also you don't really care any more. In a way you want to stay one step behind if it means you can now resign yourself to going quietly into the night and accepting of your fate.

Tommy Lee Jones' character symbolises this concept, much like his talk of his daddy representing a bygone era. His speech at the end is just a wrapping of the allegorical themes of the film. The Barden character represents the new society that Jones can't understand. He doesn't understand the motives, why things have changed or have to be like that and in the end he doesn't really want to...likewise the Brolin character represents people caught up in the edges of modern society, opportunistic, possibly spending their lives on the run, on the edge, trying to escape but ultimately being caught and paying the price. life/society catches up with you, no matter how fast you run.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:37 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
In a nutshell.

Modern day society is different. Things change, and as you get older you become increasingly marginalised, you can't keep up, are always one step behind the pace, you don't understand things as clearly and also you don't really care any more. In a way you want to stay one step behind if it means you can now resign yourself to going quietly into the night and accepting of your fate.

Tommy Lee Jones' character symbolises this concept, much like his talk of his daddy representing a bygone era. His speech at the end is just a wrapping of the allegorical themes of the film. The Barden character represents the new society that Jones can't understand. He doesn't understand the motives, why things have changed or have to be like that and in the end he doesn't really want to...likewise the Brolin character represents people caught up in the edges of modern society, opportunistic, possibly spending their lives on the run, on the edge, trying to escape but ultimately being caught and paying the price. life/society catches up with you, no matter how fast you run.
what a load of bollocks !

do you seriously beleive the writers sat down and wanted to write a story based on the above scenario.....dont make me laugh

It was just a story (a crap one at that), which once made into a film (a crap one at that), was turned into something "deep and meaningful" by people like yourself, who like to look 'deeper" and come up with something which is totally fantasy and nosensical.....no wonder you enjoyed the film so much !
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:38 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
you big shirley.
Take a Chance on Me.....la la la ..
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:39 pm
W10

Originally Posted by BangleMan
what a load of bollocks !

do you seriously beleive the writers sat down and wanted to write a story based on the above scenario.....dont make me laugh

It was just a story (a crap one at that), which once made into a film (a crap one at that), was turned into something "deep and meaningful" by people like yourself, who like to look 'deeper" and come up with something which is totally fantasy and nosensical.....no wonder you enjoyed the film so much !
Actually...the allegory is pretty obvious. The biggest clue is in the title of the film. Allegorical stories are pretty commonplace in serious writing/film-making. It's just a technique.

Last edited by W10; Jan 17th 2009 at 9:42 pm.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:48 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by W10
Actually...the allegory is pretty obvious. The biggest clue is in the title of the film. Allegorical stories are pretty commonplace in serious writing/film-making. It's just a technique.
Stop sniffing the glue....
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:53 pm
W10

Based on your observations. I've made some viewing recommendations for you

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0054315/

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0124909/

They may be hard going for you plot wise, but pretty linear and the themes are clearly spelled out. I think if you put the subtitles it will spell out the difficult words for you.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Autonomy
After seeing his cameo in Tropic Thunder I may not be able to take him seriously ever again (his cameo is fantastic)....
I watched Tropic Thunder last night and he is very good in it, def the highlight of the film...

Presepolis is good and I was impressed by Iron Man of late, though one of my favourite films for ages is Superbad... That is one funny film...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:15 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
I watched Tropic Thunder last night and he is very good in it, def the highlight of the film...

Presepolis is good and I was impressed by Iron Man of late, though one of my favourite films for ages is Superbad... That is one funny film...
Agree....superb film.

Persepolis is surprisingly accessible. And I like Tropic Thunder much better than most of the recent Stiller movies.

Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:17 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by W10
Based on your observations. I've made some viewing recommendations for you

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0054315/

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0124909/

They may be hard going for you plot wise, but pretty linear and the themes are clearly spelled out. I think if you put the subtitles it will spell out the difficult words for you.
I have all the DVD's.....all of which were more enjoyable....
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:19 pm
W10

I have all the DVD's.....all of which were more enjoyable....

rep!

Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:42 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
You could in the first place?

Thing about Tom Cruise is that his acting is the same, whatever movie he is in.

Even in Tropic Thunder he is Tom Cruise, likewise in Valkryie. His mannerisms, his facial expressions, his way of speaking never changes.

However, Valkryie isn't a bad film at all. I just wish they'd concentrated a bit more on the character development and the dramatics of the attempt. Bearing in mind we know the outcome and that they ultimately fail - it would have been wiser to go a little more in depth about the motivations of the key characters (as my memory of history seems to recall differing rationale).

But as I was pondering this (and how Eddie Izzard did very well in a very dramatic role) I then realised that half of the people in the cinema had probably never even heard of this particular story, which is familiar to a lot of Europeans. So maybe it does (as it is one hollywood film which is historically accurate) serve a real purpose.
mission impossible 3 was SHIT.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:46 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Take a Chance on Me.....la la la ..
I bet you use that line a LOT.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:00 pm
Hammer for Life

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I bet you use that line a LOT.
No mate, it doesnt work half as well as "Lay All Your Love on Me" or "Gimme, Gimme. Gimme" ...

They even did one for the Toon fans...."S.O.S."
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

scarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of light

Took my neices to the cinema last night to watch Australia

Biggest load of crap I have seen for a long time and I had to sit there for 2 3/4 hours. Still they enjoyed it, and despite ending up with a numb butt, they were happy, which is all that counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.