Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Dismal State Of The UK As Seen On BBC1's Traffic Cops

The Dismal State Of The UK As Seen On BBC1's Traffic Cops

Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:16 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Dismal State Of The UK As Seen On BBC1's Traffic Cops

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
Yeah but the 97 vote was not for independance, totally different, although do you think it would go though and the SNP have the balls to actually do it? I think Salmon has given slightly confliciting views and will see how the tide is in a few years...

At least then we wont have to put in any token Scots, Welsh or NIrish in the 2012 Olympic footy team

will they do what they said they'd do......who knows they are politicians so......
if they dont though then they lose any credibility they have

what would the result be....who knows, a lot will depend on how scotland recovers from the big crunch and whether the SNP get or deserve any credit for any recovery
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:21 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Why dotn we have a referendum, if it is truley what people wan then let them get on with it...

I am thinking what would be different, humm, less medals in the olympics, no less whinging, more whinging, dunno - lets devolve the union - oh no that would mean years of endless Tory rule tho
we would take a cycling gold or 3 from you...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
we would take a cycling gold or 3 from you...

My concern would be, would we get Cavendish?

that boy is an absolute leg end and will be one of the best ever sprinters/points champions of all time...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sky Blue;7171754]
Originally Posted by annacarna

I did mention the Irish beforehand, as sort of pre dating the war, as they have been coming over stealing our jobs and greening the pure white blood lines of the english for the last couple of centuries

And yes that is absolutely correct they have had to do the crapy jobs, with pathetic pay, pay tax and suffer lots of abuse...
You forgot to mention the Aussies and Kiwis doing the really important work,pulling the pints.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jan 19th 2009 at 7:45 am. Reason: error
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:30 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

My concern would be, would we get Cavendish?

that boy is an absolute leg end and will be one of the best ever sprinters/points champions of all time...
agree there!! he will win the green jersey in the TdF in 2 years i think...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commander
agree there!! he will win the green jersey in the TdF in 2 years i think...
There was a good article about him on the times online or guardian websites over the weekend, to be honest I think unfairly overlooked for Sports Personality etc (at least a top 3 finish perhaps)...

Stages at both Le Tour and the Giro is not to be sniffed at, he looks like a taller and british abduojaperof - i used to love that guy with his literal tree trunk thighs anxd crazy ass sprint technique...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:10 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Why dotn we have a referendum, if it is truley what people wan then let them get on with it...
In an ideal world that might happen.

What concerns me is that some idiots will not like the idea and might even start fighting over it...keep in mind a good number of Scots are fiercely loyal to Britain and a good number of English are still of the mind that imperialism is a good thing.

Could be a big bloody mess. Hope I don't live to see it.

N.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:25 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Oxford economic report (http://www.oef.com/Free/pdfs/ukmpubfinfeat(jul).pdf) shows that 5 English regions are beneficiaries doing better than Scotland.
Smashing thanks for that.

Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that English and Welsh pensioners and students are worse off in general that Scottish pensioners and students because the government is crap.

N.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:36 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Smashing thanks for that.

Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that English and Welsh pensioners and students are worse off in general that Scottish pensioners and students because the government is crap.

N.
Your welcome.

Well, the English should get their own national devolved parliament and probably sit somewhere in the English midlands or central part of the country, say, in Birmingham or Manchester. Westminster parliament doesn't really want it...that is why they tried to force regional assemblies, which people did not want.

UK MPs sitting in the Westminster parliament would then only discuss reserved issues, such as foreign affairs, national economy, defence etc, while the devolved English national parliament would cover health, education, the law etc etc. By this means students and pensioners would get more attention and the health of English people better looked after.

Also, the devolved parliament, as in Scotland, would be unicameral (only one house)...so legislation can become law within a year..so things actually get done !!

The people of England should 'seize the day' and could then stop complaining about how the Welsh and Scots look after their citizens.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:55 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the obvious flaws and problems with the House of Lords, without the upper house, I dread to think what draconian laws the government could have pushed through parliament.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:26 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Despite the obvious flaws and problems with the House of Lords, without the upper house, I dread to think what draconian laws the government could have pushed through parliament.
Agreed...but I was talking about devolved parliaments (with one house) only and that also have proportional representation, which greatly reduces the chances of draconian laws being enacted in the absence of an upper house, and because of the requisite parliamentary consensus involved in developing and approving legislation on domestic matters (education, health etc)..
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:39 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Agreed...but I was talking about devolved parliaments (with one house) only and that also have proportional representation, which greatly reduces the chances of draconian laws being enacted in the absence of an upper house, and because of the requisite parliamentary consensus involved in developing and approving legislation on domestic matters (education, health etc)..
Yeah, I thought about PR after I posted that (honest). The UK parliament's first-past-the-post system is bollox really because it gives an unrepresentative and easily-abusable majority to the winning party after most elections. So I can see that it would work in devolved PR parliaments.