British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Desi London Mayor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/desi-london-mayor-877121/)

iggle May 23rd 2016 3:36 am

Re: Desi London Mayor

Originally Posted by northbadawi (Post 11954043)
According to "British" definitions discusses here above - The Greater London and some other major UK cities seems mostly non-British (and non-European too) so maybe Brexit question is raised very on time?

When was the last time you went to Leicester or Bradford?? Or Burton on Trent, or Peterborugh...English isn't even the first language in this places.

Bipat May 23rd 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11954155)
When was the last time you went to Leicester or Bradford?? Or Burton on Trent, or Peterborugh...English isn't even the first language in this places.

When did you last go to Leicester? When in UK we frequently go there for various reasons (we are not Gujarati though). Everyone we have ever met speaks perfect fluent English.
What people speak at home (a first language) is irrelevant. Also the majority of Leicester people are British born.
You are a migrant in the Middle East which language do you speak at home?:lol:

Millhouse May 23rd 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11954226)

And there lies the problem - Like most migrants, I have no desire to take on the culture.

iggle May 23rd 2016 7:20 am

When did you last go to Leicester? When in UK we frequently go there for various reasons (we are not Gujarati though). Everyone we have ever met speaks perfect fluent English.
What people speak at home (a first language) is irrelevant. Also the majority of Leicester people are British born.

I went to all of those towns (outside of Bradford in November)

Peterboro + Burton on Trent are Eastern Europe towns, their flags are everywhere.

Leicester, it was spot the ....

Mate, it's future of England - i accept that (don't mean i like it)

Bipat May 23rd 2016 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11954229)
And there lies the problem - Like most migrants, I have no desire to take on the culture.

The majority of migrants to the UK do actually take on the "culture". First generation migrants of course will also retain 'memory'/'part of' their original customs. Why not? The UK has much to learn from other "cultures".

Bahtatboy May 23rd 2016 7:36 am

...Also the majority of Leicester people are British born.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11954229)

1 Place of birth: I had British expat friends in UAE who had a child there. Did being born in the UAE make the child culturally (or legally) Emirati? Of course not. You need to re-read my and Norm's posts about what culture means. (Well, ok, just Norm's.)

2 Language. Millhouse isn't a migrant, he's an expat: a temporary work-tourist. He doesn't intend his progeny to live in the UAE all their lives, and claim UAE nationality -- not for themselves, and certainly not for their future extended families.

Bahtatboy May 23rd 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11954242)
The majority of migrants to the UK do actually take on the "culture". First generation migrants of course will also retain 'memory'/'part of' their original customs. Why not? The UK has much to learn from other "cultures".

Only if its confined to your definition of culture. Everyone likes a nice curry.

Inselaffen May 23rd 2016 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11954242)
The majority of migrants to the UK do actually take on the "culture". First/Second/Third generation migrants of course will also retain 'memory'/'part of' their original customs. Why not? The UK has much to learn from other "cultures".

have corrected that for you!

mission May 23rd 2016 7:55 am

Since I was bored and got jack all to do in the office, I started reading this thread a couple of pages back....clearly some of you are opposed to migrants and 'foreigners' being in the UK and yet what you forget is that back in the day, (going back to the 60's, when my folks migrated to the UK) the 'foreigners' were willing to do jobs that most 'white british' folks wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

When I was growing up we were the only 'brown/desi' family for miles....my parents worked their bollocks off to give both me and my bro a good start in life...and yet most of my white friends from back in the day ended up living on the dole.

The ethics and culture that I grow up with, I would say were not 'british' - back then to be 'british' you were usually a lazy racist bast*rd, with the younger female population getting knocked up just to get a council flat.

what exactly is 'british culture'?

Bahtatboy May 23rd 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11954253)
Since I was bored and got jack all to do in the office, I started reading this thread a couple of pages back....clearly some of you are opposed to migrants and 'foreigners' being in the UK and yet what you forget is that back in the day, (going back to the 60's, when my folks migrated to the UK) the 'foreigners' were willing to do jobs that most 'white british' folks wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

When I was growing up we were the only 'brown/desi' family for miles....my parents worked their bollocks off to give both me and my bro a good start in life...and yet most of my white friends from back in the day ended up living on the dole.

The ethics and culture that I grow up with, I would say were not 'british' - back then to be 'british' you were usually a lazy racist bast*rd, with the younger female population getting knocked up just to get a council flat.

One person's anectdotes don't necessarily paint a true picture. My (white) parents worked their bollocks off to give me a good start in life, as did most of my parents' friends for their kids (all of whom, as far as I can recall, were white -- not through choice, we didn't live in an area with any/many immigrants). All got jobs.

I don't know when you grew up, but the picture you paint is drastically different from reality today: the unemployment rate in UK is 2 to 2 1/2 times higher for other ethnic backgrounds than for whites. For blacks the situation is worst, but Asians aren't far behind. (Data -- and teminology -- from the ONS.)

Lightandbitter May 23rd 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11954253)

I agree with the first part of your post.

Those that came to the UK through the 60s and 70s did work bloody hard, took the lower paid jobs and worked tirelessly for their children and future generations.

So the question to you has to be...

As someone from a hardworking family who toiled to establish a decent honest life in the UK, how do you feel about those that are coming now en masse to abuse our over generous social safety net system and are doing exactly what you say in the second half of your post?

Bipat May 23rd 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11954248)
Only if its confined to your definition of culture. Everyone likes a nice curry.

"Curry" actually means 'with gravy'. Is that all you can appreciate from other "cultures". Family values, languages, literature, art, dance, architecture, dress design, films etc etc.

Bipat May 23rd 2016 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11954263)
One person's anectdotes don't necessarily paint a true picture. My (white) parents worked their bollocks off to give me a good start in life, as did most of my parents' friends for their kids (all of whom, as far as I can recall, were white -- not through choice, we didn't live in an area with any/many immigrants). All got jobs.

I don't know when you grew up, but the picture you paint is drastically different from reality today: the unemployment rate in UK is 2 to 2 1/2 times higher for other ethnic backgrounds than for whites. For blacks the situation is worst, but Asians aren't far behind. (Data -- and teminology -- from the ONS.)

Just to point out one fact. GCSE and A-level exam results. Chinese and Indian origin children are always at the top.

Bahtatboy May 23rd 2016 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11954272)
"Curry" actually means 'with gravy'...

Not in British English it doesn't.

Irishbeekeeper May 23rd 2016 8:25 am

I miss mike, he used to close down the threads when the echo kept on getting repeated again...and again....and again....and again....and again....and again....and again!

:banghead::banghead::banghead: