British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Desi London Mayor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/desi-london-mayor-877121/)

Bahtatboy Jun 9th 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Desi London Mayor

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11969142)
Explain where all the thousands every day on domestic and international flights come from? Where do the thousands of domestic tourist on the beaches and other tourist areas come from? Who is eating in the hotels, restaurants, attending the multitude of private schools. Who is driving all those cars making the roads so dangerous? Who is using all those banks? Buying gold in all those jewellers? ...

The 0.5% of 1.25 billion.

Bipat Jun 9th 2016 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11969170)
The 0.5% of 1.25 billion.

I suspect the above poster misread, it should have been increased by 1% following an increase of 3%.
Did you read the Wiki link? that would seem more accurate.

It obviously depends how you define 'middle class'.

Some statistics use having all four items TV, car, mobile phone and computer as a measure. This will give wrong statistics as few of the elderly even wealthy have a computer. Also the wealthy in big cities often do not have their own cars but use expensive taxi/hire car firms with drivers.

In our town of approx 80,000 people, few have cars because of parking problems, the abundant rick-shaw service makes them unnecessary. We use a taxi for longer journeys. We are not living in abject poverty!

You only have to live there and see the increase in travel, nice clothes, supermarkets, leisure activities to see the continued improvement in lifestyle over the decades.
(Yes obviously still too many millions are poor, still people who are not in abject poverty but quite well dressed who buy Strepsils in ones and twos from a jar as I saw beside me recently and it was upsetting.)

It is good to see the improvement so why the need to criticize and mock all the time.

Lightandbitter Jun 9th 2016 3:59 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/02/asia/india-poor-census-secc/

3% in 2011. Can you give the link. I think you have misread.
That is absolute nonsense. It was about 10% in 1947!

Explain where all the thousands every day on domestic and international flights come from? Where do the thousands of domestic tourist on the beaches and other tourist areas come from? Who is eating in the hotels, restaurants, attending the multitude of private schools. Who is driving all those cars making the roads so dangerous? Who is using all those banks? Buying gold in all those jewellers?
Who are you on this forum doing business with?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standa...iving_in_India

I misread nothing

Lightandbitter Jun 9th 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11969209)
I suspect the above poster misread, it should have been increased by 1% following an increase of 3%.
Did you read the Wiki link? that would seem more accurate.

It obviously depends how you define 'middle class'.

Some statistics use having all four items TV, car, mobile phone and computer as a measure. This will give wrong statistics as few of the elderly even wealthy have a computer. Also the wealthy in big cities often do not have their own cars but use expensive taxi/hire car firms with drivers.

In our town of approx 80,000 people, few have cars because of parking problems, the abundant rick-shaw service makes them unnecessary. We use a taxi for longer journeys. We are not living in abject poverty!

You only have to live there and see the increase in travel, nice clothes, supermarkets, leisure activities to see the continued improvement in lifestyle over the decades.
(Yes obviously still too many millions are poor, still people who are not in abject poverty but quite well dressed who buy Strepsils in ones and twos from a jar as I saw beside me recently and it was upsetting.)

It is good to see the improvement so why the need to criticize and mock all the time.

nobody is mocking the country,
It's your misguided delusional rantings that are worthy of mockery.

You would make a superb troll but sadly you mean every word you say

when you are in the UK do you live in Slough but call it Burnham

Bipat Jun 9th 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11969218)
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/02/asia/india-poor-census-secc/

I misread nothing

Your link shows a survey of 300 million majority living in villages. Yes most of the very poor (and in the poorer States) live in villages or the major city slums. Yes more should be done for the villages, recruiting teachers, doctors etc. to work in the very rural areas has been a problem. What do you suggest? National Service?
They literacy rate is misleading also, as for the young the rate is now 90.2%for the young age group (15-24). Obviously the overall population rate includes those very elderly that did not have schooling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_India

Bipat Jun 9th 2016 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11969224)
nobody is mocking the country,
It's your misguided delusional rantings that are worthy of mockery.

You would make a superb troll but sadly you mean every word you say

when you are in the UK do you live in Slough but call it Burnham

I don't think I have ever been to Slough. I come from Norfolk.

Misguided and delusional? In what way? Perhaps having a home in a country for 50 years and talking to many (obviously now gone) who lived there 100 years ago. Having relatives in, and travelling to many States, watching daily TV, reading local newspapers gives a little idea of the place don't you think?

Tell me how do you get all your information, how do you know your 'rants' are accurate?

Anyway close this topic and get back to criticising the New Mayor!

Lightandbitter Jun 9th 2016 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11969241)
Your link shows a survey of 300 million majority living in villages. Yes most of the very poor (and in the poorer States) live in villages or the major city slums. Yes more should be done for the villages, recruiting teachers, doctors etc. to work in the very rural areas has been a problem. What do you suggest? National Service?
They literacy rate is misleading also, as for the young the rate is now 90.2%for the young age group (15-24). Obviously the overall population rate includes those very elderly that did not have schooling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_India

Wikipedia is universally known to be about as factual as you.

I have quoted many sources, WHO and UNICEF to name but two, but you dismiss them.

I retract the Burnham comment, you probably call it "a couple of miles from Ascot"

Bipat Jun 9th 2016 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter (Post 11969256)
Wikipedia is universally known to be about as factual as you.

I have quoted many sources, WHO and UNICEF to name but two, but you dismiss them.

I retract the Burnham comment, you probably call it "a couple of miles from Ascot"

I did ask what was your personal knowledge of the Indian poor, as you and others keep on about a "shit hole" so you must have spent years there.:lol:

I have never been to Burnham, I think I once went to Ascot as a child but no real memory. What is the relevance of Slough, Ascot and Burnham to this part of the discussion?

Irishbeekeeper Jun 9th 2016 6:04 pm

http://m.memegen.com/j2eagv.jpg

norsk Jun 9th 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11967577)
Why should I be disappointed? I know what I see? How much time have you spent there over the last five decades? How many States have you visited? Were you there in 1947 when 90% of the people had 'nothing' except enough food to keep them alive and just a covering of clothes.
(The entire population is just over 1 billion!!)
How do you define poverty?

well. your posts infer that the place is one of the top countries in the world when clearly it is far from it. if you 'see' 50% middle class in India you clearly need to get out more. and it doesn't matter if you take into account cost of living.

i am only experiencing my fifth decade on this revolving rock and very little of that has been spent in india. however since the late eighties there has been this thing called internet and even somewhat believable press which means you don't need to actually visit somewhere to find out how the place really is and you can even find balanced information if you look hard enough.

i have no idea what relevance 1947 (and how tough a time it was in India) has to the discussion (very little if any), but at that time i was merely a twinkle in my daddy's eye.

1.25 billion in 2013. that's not 'just over'. that's 25% over! but then again i understand percentages are tricky. after all 50% of those 1.25 bill are middle class. right?!

I don't need to define poverty. Plenty of NGOs, banks, governments and other institutions have done it already.

Done. My last post. No response needed/wanted.

Bipat Jun 9th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11969500)
well. your posts infer that the place is one of the top countries in the world when clearly it is far from it. if you 'see' 50% middle class in India you clearly need to get out more. and it doesn't matter if you take into account cost of living.

i am only experiencing my fifth decade on this revolving rock and very little of that has been spent in india. however since the late eighties there has been this thing called internet and even somewhat believable press which means you don't need to actually visit somewhere to find out how the place really is and you can even find balanced information if you look hard enough.

i have no idea what relevance 1947 (and how tough a time it was in India) has to the discussion (very little if any), but at that time i was merely a twinkle in my daddy's eye.

1.25 billion in 2013. that's not 'just over'. that's 25% over! but then again i understand percentages are tricky. after all 50% of those 1.25 bill are middle class. right?!

I don't need to define poverty. Plenty of NGOs, banks, governments and other institutions have done it already.

Done. My last post. No response needed/wanted.

Just a couple of facts as your reading has not been very comprehensive.
1947--year of independence, when British left and country able to use its own assets and not pay taxes abroad. (Also of course use the left behind infrastructure).

India overtakes China as world's fastest growing major economy - Telegraph

No further posts--concentrating on the EU referendum debates on UK TV.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 12th 2016 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11968977)
Because it has not dragged all its 1.25 billion population out of the mire quickly enough for their comfort. ---It's getting there!

3% in 2011. Can you give the link. I think you have misread.
That is absolute nonsense. It was about 10% in 1947!

This week the Planning Commission said 29.8% of India's 1.21 billion people live below the poverty line, a sharp drop from 37.2% in 2004-2005. (This means means around 360 million people currently live in poverty.) But one estimate suggests this figure could be as high as 77%.

The problem, believe many, is that the new count is based on fixing the poverty line for a person living on 28.65 rupees (56 cents/35p) a day in cities and 22.42 rupees (44 cents/33p) a day in villages.

This was lower than last year's recommendation by the Planning Commission to set the poverty line at 32 rupees (65c/40p) a day which stirred up a major debate across the country.

Source; Who are the poor in India - BBC

That's how you solve poverty, or try to make it look better. Make the mark of poverty lower, so less people can be included.

What a ****ing place. Don't help people Hide them.

It says enough that you quoted a Wikipedia page DEDICATED to poverty in India. That kind of says it all.

It's a tragic situation and people deserve a lot better than they get, but they're let down by the system, the governments and each other.

Bipat Jun 12th 2016 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11971072)
This week the Planning Commission said 29.8% of India's 1.21 billion people live below the poverty line, a sharp drop from 37.2% in 2004-2005. (This means means around 360 million people currently live in poverty.) But one estimate suggests this figure could be as high as 77%.

The problem, believe many, is that the new count is based on fixing the poverty line for a person living on 28.65 rupees (56 cents/35p) a day in cities and 22.42 rupees (44 cents/33p) a day in villages.

This was lower than last year's recommendation by the Planning Commission to set the poverty line at 32 rupees (65c/40p) a day which stirred up a major debate across the country.

Source; Who are the poor in India - BBC

That's how you solve poverty, or try to make it look better. Make the mark of poverty lower, so less people can be included.

What a ****ing place. Don't help people Hide them.

It says enough that you quoted a Wikipedia page DEDICATED to poverty in India. That kind of says it all.

It's a tragic situation and people deserve a lot better than they get, but they're let down by the system, the governments and each other.

What do you suggest then? I have said they should have been quicker to eliminate the poverty, in the large population, climate difficulties etc. Remember they started with 90%, 69 years ago.
What are your solutions?
With the low cost of living and food and gas subsidies for low income people, you have not got the whole picture, but I have seen tremendous changes year by year.
As I said what are your suggestions for faster solution?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 12th 2016 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11971129)
What do you suggest then? I have said they should have been quicker to eliminate the poverty, in the large population, climate difficulties etc. Remember they started with 90%, 69 years ago.
What are your solutions?
With the low cost of living and food and gas subsidies for low income people, you have not got the whole picture, but I have seen tremendous changes year by year.

Sorry, no idea how to solve it. Population control? More effective taxation and distribution of a state benefit? 'Council Housing'? Unfortunately lots of solutions cost money and lots of money being spent on the poorest people isn't exactly a popular political party line.

But pretending it isn't a problem isn't wise either.

What do you think can be done about it?

Lightandbitter Jun 12th 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11971129)
What are your solutions?

There is a very fine line between affluent and effluent

But for the grace of God you could have been born on the non porcelain side.

Perhaps you should sometimes reflect on that.