Burka Ban

Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:19 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burka Ban

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
You'll buy him a beer but you think he's a prick? Can I upset you as well?
How to win friends and influence people - you're a prick...let's go for a drink

N.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I don't really care as I am well known around here. If you think I'm a prick due to my views that's your choice.
Originally Posted by Norm_uk
How to win friends and influence people - you're a prick...let's go for a drink
I’m much relieved to learn that a sarcastic comment on the bored cannot tear down someone’s reputation and/or professional competence.

I once called my old man a prick; I was 17 though, he yelled his guts out at me, in front of my mates, educating me that smoking is really bad for health and I shouldn’t be smoking at this age but when I asked him that does it make it right to smoke at his age he told me to shut up.

Norm, you have come across as someone who does not take on board what he preaches to the world.

Belgian Bar at the Grand millennium, let me know when suits you. Happy Easter.

Last edited by sherri; Apr 24th 2011 at 7:49 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I have not, sadly, the patience to read through several pages of (what I am entirely satisfied is) informed debate on this topic - I therefore beg forebearance if this line of argument has been put forward hitherto....

My point is simply this.

If we say it is cool and groovy to say "yay" to a burkah ban in the West, then by a what's good for the goose is sauce for the gander (yes, I deliberately chose that particular adage) reasoning it is equally cool and groovy to say that all women in Muslim countries (and that means you, Jumeirah Jane) must and shall wear full monty hegab....

The reasoning is easily enough defeated if we insist that it is deeply unethical and immoral to insist that a woman hide her face - on the grounds that there is a basic argument to insist that freedom to display ones face is a basic right that everyone ought have access to.

What, then? The logical positivists are vanquished, and we return to a Socratian world of universally accepted values. It is right and correct and moral in all places and at all times that a woman be free to display her face and hair, nay - indeed - to refuse to do so is a punishable offence...... One then, is duty bound to be moral in the context of what an external authority deems to be moral rather than what one's own instinctive morality might direct one to.

Man - I dreamed I heared the chimes of freedom stifled...
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

where does it say on the Quran that a woman has to cover her face? nowhere, it says women are to dress modestly. I have friends in Saudi who whilst wear an abaya never cover their hair or face. So why would I have to do it here? if it was the Law here that is a different matter. We abide by the laws of the land where we live do we not? I have always fancied a pink shayla
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I have not, sadly, the patience to read through several pages of (what I am entirely satisfied is) informed debate on this topic
I can assure you that my contribution was not, in anyway, informed.