Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Black American's don't swim?

Black American's don't swim?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:48 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Black American's don't swim?

Originally Posted by Scamp
A. Of course there are biological differences. Maybe not major / significant (other than the skin colour), but there are certainly differences.
B. Last week I was told I am German. Now I'm African. Make your mind up time folks.

That is bollocks. Height does not distinguish other characteristics, race does/can.

Take the minor 'channelling' out of it and you'll still end up at the same results. At the top level it is those minor advantages that make a massive difference.
Point completely missed. Of course there are biological differences among ethnic groups and populations but to draw classifications as ridiculously broad and arbitrary as "black" and "white" has no justification in zoological taxonomy or science of any type. There is simply no biological basis for race - none at all. It is a hangover of Victorian imperialist efforts to classify people as rulers or ruled. Caucasian, Negroid, Mongoloid etc are pseudo-anthropological terms that don't have any genetic meaning. Certainly there are ways to biologically classify people but they do not line up along these old paradigms, particularly when genes are examined and all sorts of arbitrary groupings can be formed e.g. based on the prevalence of certain blood proteins, which would be an appropriate zoological classification basis, you would get a sub-species that contains various populations of West Africa along with Finns and others. That is not to say that "race" has no meaning or validity. Socio-cultural factors are extremely powerful - we are not only creatures of our genes.

There is a full spectrum of physical types with all sorts of different characteristics associated with specific ethnic groups. Skin pigmentation is the one that appears to have gained more significance than any other. Hence this notion that "blacks" are better at running when the physical adaptations that enable sprinting and distance running are completely unrelated to each other - and nothing to do with skin colour. And as I said, once the social dynamic enables it, expect to see many black sprint swimmers in the future. The chanelling is not minor but probably the major factor in establishing group domination of certain activities. Otherwise we would have to conclude that the Chinese are by far the best athletes in the world.

On your rebuttal of my other post (about naming of black kids): I'm sorry if it appeared patronising. It probably was, though not intended to be and, frankly, not untrue in my experience (I did some community work among disadvantaged, primarily black families in a couple of US cities). In my phrasing I am perhaps reflecting my own middle-class prejudices and very much those of my black American friends.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Point completely missed. Of course there are biological differences among ethnic groups and populations but to draw classifications as ridiculously broad and arbitrary as "black" and "white" has no justification in zoological taxonomy or science of any type. There is simply no biological basis for race - none at all. It is a hangover of Victorian imperialist efforts to classify people as rulers or ruled. Caucasian, Negroid, Mongoloid etc are pseudo-anthropological terms that don't have any genetic meaning. Certainly there are ways to biologically classify people but they do not line up along these old paradigms, particularly when genes are examined and all sorts of arbitrary groupings can be formed e.g. based on the prevalence of certain blood proteins, which would be an appropriate zoological classification basis, you would get a sub-species that contains various populations of West Africa along with Finns and others. That is not to say that "race" has no meaning or validity. Socio-cultural factors are extremely powerful - we are not only creatures of our genes.

There is a full spectrum of physical types with all sorts of different characteristics associated with specific ethnic groups. Skin pigmentation is the one that appears to have gained more significance than any other. Hence this notion that "blacks" are better at running when the physical adaptations that enable sprinting and distance running are completely unrelated to each other - and nothing to do with skin colour. And as I said, once the social dynamic enables it, expect to see many black sprint swimmers in the future. The chanelling is not minor but probably the major factor in establishing group domination of certain activities. Otherwise we would have to conclude that the Chinese are by far the best athletes in the world.

Apologies, I did misunderstand / jump at your point - I agree with what you are saying on the whole. I think however that the era in which race was first used to differentiate is not perhaps completely relevant, because it is always going to be the easiest way to align differences / generalisations...if that makes sense.

I think that's just a fact of life and the world will never be completely equal on basis of race alone...

On your rebuttal of my other post (about naming of black kids): I'm sorry if it appeared patronising. It probably was, though not intended to be and, frankly, not untrue in my experience (I did some community work among disadvantaged, primarily black families in a couple of US cities). In my phrasing I am perhaps reflecting my own middle-class prejudices and very much those of my black American friends.
Meh, that was just me nitpicking. Everyone has a different experience with different topics discussed.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:06 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:08 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they can't swim because of too much 'Rudder' ??
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Millhouse: The whole point of the Dougie is that just about anyone can do it............. you may be right about white guys, but I'll forgive Kate Upton anything....... this looks fine to me...............

Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

... arbitrary ... no justification in zoological taxonomy ... pseudo-anthropological terms ... an appropriate zoological classification basis
Holy shit... a proper conversation!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Millhouse: The whole point of the Dougie is that just about anyone can do it............. you may be right about white guys, but I'll forgive Kate Upton anything....... this looks fine to me...............

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FcJScBLIEX4
It's nicer when a black girl does it
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's nicer when a black girl does it
Especially when she's wearing a knuckleduster
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I have never seen a crocodile or hippo in a swimming pool
Cue.....theres plenty of hippos in pools, especially American ones
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
The trouble is........ there may actually be a physiological or genetic reason why blacks can run short or long distances very well (100m, marathon), but are poor swimmers............. but nobody will ever know, because the very thought of researching that will immediately attract accusations of racism.............
Somalis must be decent swimmers........

How many here can float effortlessly in a fresh water swimming pool or fresh water lakes/pools? I float easily in a salt water pool or sea water but used to float just below the surface in the fresh water pools back when I was living in AD.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:19 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Found this on facebook today.

Old Apr 15th 2012, 5:05 am
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Living in San Jose California I think I know the answer to this question. First off, many people go swimming at the beach, many people go to the beach to get tans, black people don't need tans so they don't go to the beach. Secondly, black women can't get their hair wet because if they do it gets poofy and nappy, unless they get it relaxed. Thirdly, many African America women wear wigs and extensions so if they go swimming they might fall off causing embarrassment.

Last edited by Imnothavinit; Apr 15th 2012 at 5:08 am.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Maybe they can't swim because of too much 'Rudder' ??
I think that only keeps him from turning, in lane swimming it could be an advantage
Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
Living in San Jose California I think I know the answer to this question. First off, many people go swimming at the beach, many people go to the beach to get tans, black people don't need tans so they don't go to the beach. Secondly, black women can't get their hair wet because if they do it gets poofy and nappy, unless they get it relaxed. Thirdly, many African America women wear wigs and extensions so if they go swimming they might fall off causing embarrassment.
That's what I said, it's the hair.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:48 pm
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alexa
That's what I said, it's the hair.
Yes, it's the hair and in America the black woman is the head of the household so if they don't go to the pool or the beach, nobody in the family does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.