British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/barnasty-6th-best-beach-bar-world-802581/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2013 4:34 am

Re: Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world!

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798300)
Assume Pancho villa's, TGI Thursday and the bar round the corner in the ambassador hotel are still going strong.

Waxy's is closed,yea?

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10798348)
Yeah - Waxy's is closed - forgot to mention that one............

Waxy's is shut, but it's now a Goa-theme restaurant / bar.

NOT recommended.

MAV_DXB Jul 14th 2013 5:52 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798300)
Assume Pancho villa's, TGI Thursday and the bar round the corner in the ambassador hotel are still going strong.

Waxy's is closed,yea?

The 'Star Wars' bar (TGI Thursday) and the George and Dragon (Ambassador) are still going strong.

shiva Jul 14th 2013 6:23 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10798310)
Yep, bringing back happy days. The Thompson Originals were great. They were originals as there would be a track or two missing...and the 'raw' part of Dubai was always more fun. You never knew what to expect, but usually it would be a laugh.

still have a stack of them somewhere, nothing to play them on though now

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB (Post 10798985)
The 'Star Wars' bar (TGI Thursday) and the George and Dragon (Ambassador) are still going strong.

TGI Thursdays was mental.

We went in on a birthday tour (all dayer). I've seen plenty of brass in Dubai but at 2pm on a Friday afternoon I don't need to be touched up for some slap'n'tickle.

Always cringe when you see the classic big, chunky 50-something Brit with two Asian birds sat with him...nobody talking....just sharing a drink or two. I often hope they just want the company for an hour, but that's just stupid.

The Dean Jul 14th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10799081)

We went in on a birthday tour (all dayer). I've seen plenty of brass in Dubai but at 2pm on a Friday afternoon I don't need to be touched up for some slap'n'tickle.

Always cringe when you see the classic big, chunky 50-something Brit with two Asian birds sat with him...nobody talking....just sharing a drink or two. I often hope they just want the company for an hour, but that's just stupid.

I did that a few times when I first arrived - you soon learn..........

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 14th 2013 7:48 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10799117)
I did that a few times when I first arrived - you soon learn..........

Meh. It's just judging a stranger so I'd rather not, but the hat so often fits perfectly.

The Dean Jul 14th 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10799122)
Meh. It's just judging a stranger so I'd rather not, but the hat so often fits perfectly.

Yes but I don't mean I did it willingly - I just wandered into something advertised as a 'sports bar' and found myself attracting female companionship.........

the_red_sheep Jul 15th 2013 9:33 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798297)
Last time I took my dad to jockeys and the York. He was visibly shaken.

Did he have to pay more or less for that?

DOHDUBMAN Jul 15th 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10800625)

Post of the day!

littlejimmy Jul 15th 2013 1:50 pm

A certain poster sent me there on my first weekend in Dubai, telling me it was a good place to go. I was horrified as I tried to make my escape.

commander Jul 15th 2013 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10800625)

It was emotional for him.

MAV_DXB Jul 15th 2013 5:35 pm

I actually quite enjoy going in there, the 'Star Wars' bar (for no more than an hour though), it's a good laugh, especially the larger African girls, they give as good as they get, banter wise that is.

If you want a cheap pint and and half decent pub grub, the George and Dragon in the Ambassador is the place to go.