British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/barnasty-6th-best-beach-bar-world-802581/)

The Dean Jul 13th 2013 1:37 pm

Re: Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world!

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 10798271)
One day I was in there just after it opened and Red was there organising the placement of speakers etc. Looks like he may still be there after Ramadan? Think I first saw him in Billy Blues years ago!

Guess you could add Humphreys, Dubai Country Club, Arif Castle pubs and some of the joints in The Imperial Suites to that list?

Don't remember Humphrey's - have I missed much?

commander Jul 13th 2013 1:51 pm

All this "dark side" talk is putting me In the mood for a night out in Bur Dubai. Been ages for me. Last time I took my dad to jockeys and the York. He was visibly shaken.

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798297)
All this "dark side" talk is putting me In the mood for a night out in Bur Dubai. Been ages for me. Last time I took my dad to jockeys and the York. He was visibly shaken.

Many years ago, I took my dad for a saunter through Bur Dubai. I don't think it was what he really expected of Dubai...:D

commander Jul 13th 2013 1:53 pm

Assume Pancho villa's, TGI Thursday and the bar round the corner in the ambassador hotel are still going strong.

Waxy's is closed,yea?

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798300)
Assume Pancho villa's, TGI Thursday and the bar round the corner in the ambassador hotel are still going strong.

Waxy's is closed,yea?

I've got a Pancho Villa's T-shirt which says on the back 'Come Play Ball With Me'. I gave it to Mrs.Janx, who has longish hair. Unfortunately, due to the length of her hair, it read 'Ball With Me'...Umm, if I might suggest.....

commander Jul 13th 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10798299)
Many years ago, I took my dad for a saunter through Bur Dubai. I don't think it was what he really expected of Dubai...:D

Those were the days. Early 90's berthed in Jebel Ali which was a whole desert away from Dubai. Head into Dubai (never needed to tell the taxi driver what part...there really was only one part with bars)

Head to the Astoria and the ambassador, few pints, KFC then go and buy loads of the Thomson Original fake cassettes. Then head to the highland lodge for a fight with Royal Marines. Good old bad old days

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798307)
Those were the days. Early 90's berthed in Jebel Ali which was a whole desert away from Dubai. Head into Dubai (never needed to tell the taxi driver what part...there really was only one part with bars)

Head to the Astoria and the ambassador, few pints, KFC then go and buy loads of the Thomson Original fake cassettes. Then head to the highland lodge for a fight with Royal Marines. Good old bad old days

Yep, bringing back happy days. The Thompson Originals were great. They were originals as there would be a track or two missing...and the 'raw' part of Dubai was always more fun. You never knew what to expect, but usually it would be a laugh.

commander Jul 13th 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10798305)
I've got a Pancho Villa's T-shirt which says on the back 'Come Play Ball With Me'. I gave it to Mrs.Janx, who has longish hair. Unfortunately, due to the length of her hair, it read 'Ball With Me'...Umm, if I might suggest.....

Brilliant. We were banned from there on 93 because some louts on HMS Coventry who we replaced on armilla patrol had got in a fight and threw the dwarf down the stairs.

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798314)
Brilliant. We were banned from there on 93 because some louts on HMS Coventry who we replaced on armilla patrol had got in a fight and threw the dwarf down the stairs.

Why am I not suprised?!:D

The Dean Jul 13th 2013 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10798300)

Waxy's is closed,yea?

Yeah - Waxy's is closed - forgot to mention that one............

OleJanx Jul 13th 2013 3:19 pm

Having had a quick rootle about, they were not 'Thompson' copies, but 'Thompsun' copies, with the pale blue spines...!

commander Jul 13th 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10798385)
Having had a quick rootle about, they were not 'Thompson' copies, but 'Thompsun' copies, with the pale blue spines...!

Yea, ha. Nice one you are right. I have an old pussers suitcase full of old naval tat, I'm sure I have a thompsun original deacon blue tape stowed away for a very rainy day.

Jim Smith Jul 13th 2013 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10798285)
Don't remember Humphrey's - have I missed much?

It was the bar in the original Hilton Hotel, next to Trade Centre. Knocked down to make way for the Trade Centre or Dubai World Trade Centre apartment block or whatever it is called. It was my local for 15+ years.

BinCat Jul 13th 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 10798399)
It was the bar in the original Hilton Hotel, next to Trade Centre. Knocked down to make way for the Trade Centre or Dubai World Trade Centre apartment block or whatever it is called. It was my local for 15+ years.

And beside where 'The Establishment' the reisdent band (early 80s?) wrote and sang 'Life In The Emirates'. (chorus: Sharjah, Fujeirah and Uuuuuuumalquwain - for those that remember it!). I don't remember what the bar was called where the Establishment sang, probably just the hotel lounge, as it were.

The Dean Jul 13th 2013 9:00 pm

Ah yes............ :thumbup: