Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Autonomy-Photos-Project

Autonomy-Photos-Project

Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:44 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autonomy-Photos-Project

Sorry for the late reply...

When I did the daily photo it was part of a group of cities around the world that were all doing it. That helped as everyone felt part of a bigger group and you didn't want to let the side down by missing a few days etc.

I think it is good to put it in public and to keep pushing yourself.

There were 2 schools of thought on the daily sites - posting one a day is different to taking one a day. I think that is ok too - as Kitty mentions - it's hard to find inspiration when you are going to work on the same road, to the same office etc. But it is possible if that is your goal.

Using a phone camera is ok too as it will force you to be creative with composition rather than worrying too much on settings. I am not sure I'd go instagram style personally - if it was me I'd go for a decent pocket camera (like your fav G12) and then use lightroom or picasa to improve your processing as well as your shots. But any method is fine - just enjoy it - its worth it and you'll learn or re-learn loads.

Good luck with it!

If you do set up a blog or tumblr or whatever - let us know and will check it out...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Sorry for the late reply...

When I did the daily photo it was part of a group of cities around the world that were all doing it. That helped as everyone felt part of a bigger group and you didn't want to let the side down by missing a few days etc.
ah ha that would be a big help im sure

I think it is good to put it in public and to keep pushing yourself.
im leaning towards the public option as a gentle push to keep it up
There were 2 schools of thought on the daily sites - posting one a day is different to taking one a day. I think that is ok too - as Kitty mentions - it's hard to find inspiration when you are going to work on the same road, to the same office etc. But it is possible if that is your goal.
yeah im not sure on that, im leaning towards the purest take one a day as too hardcore and too much pressure but reckon ill aim for that and as a minimum post 1 a day

Using a phone camera is ok too as it will force you to be creative with composition rather than worrying too much on settings. I am not sure I'd go instagram style personally - if it was me I'd go for a decent pocket camera (like your fav G12) and then use lightroom or picasa to improve your processing as well as your shots. But any method is fine - just enjoy it - its worth it and you'll learn or re-learn loads.
i have the G9 and whilst i do love it, its the lugging it around that pisses me off, every now and then fine but everyday it becomes a chore, hence iphone.
in the uk with a jacket its a pocket camera, here i find its a ball ache to do daily
instagram style isnt a choice as such just what ive been playing with so far, as the light improves with autumn and winter i foresee a lot less processed shots and as you say to hopefully re learn an art i am fond of and now out of practice with

Good luck with it!

If you do set up a blog or tumblr or whatever - let us know and will check it out...
thanks, if i set something up ill post it.
any tips for keeping it going past a couple of months
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:17 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

tips for keeping it going - what worked for me was:

really enjoying it, seeing new places in Dubai and beyond, going to places you might not normally go to, trying new ideas, keeping it all fresh.

plus

peer pressure, nice comments, growing audience

You will get sick of it from time to time then you'll go down a little street in Satwa in 50 degree heat hating it and thinking why am I doing this shit and then you see something amazing and take the best shot ever and think wow - that's why I'm doing this. And that'll keep you going for a while.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:22 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
tips for keeping it going - what worked for me was:

really enjoying it, seeing new places in Dubai and beyond, going to places you might not normally go to, trying new ideas, keeping it all fresh.

plus

peer pressure, nice comments, growing audience

You will get sick of it from time to time then you'll go down a little street in Satwa in 50 degree heat hating it and thinking why am I doing this shit and then you see something amazing and take the best shot ever and think wow - that's why I'm doing this. And that'll keep you going for a while.
thx, it was getting sick of it last time that saw an end to it really, missed a few days then a few more, then it was just a hassle not a pleasure. cant wait for it to cool a bit and go crazy down the creek and deira. i love it down there anyway and usually take a few shots when im there but now i have a project i suspect ill spend a good bit of time down there this winter just wandering around
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:53 am