Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Autonomy-Photos-Project

Autonomy-Photos-Project

Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autonomy-Photos-Project

Question for Auto and anyone else who's ever done an extended photography project.

I am about two weeks into a daily photo challenge and loving it, although.....i can foresee issues with inspiration in the long run and was wondering if blogging about it (making it in someway public) helped keep you motivated and inspired. I'd really like to go the full 365 days with this one and having tried it once a few years ago (and failed after about 2 months) am looking for a bit of guidance on how to ensure i keep it going.

I am limiting myself to Iphoneography to remove any issue with carrying a camera daily and to make editing as quick and easy as possible, that and the fact i love the art form.

thoughts, tip, suggestions etc all welcome along with gentle criticism

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxbchris/
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Autonomy-Photos-Project

Originally Posted by shiva
Question for Auto and anyone else who's ever done an extended photography project.

I am about two weeks into a daily photo challenge and loving it, although.....i can foresee issues with inspiration in the long run and was wondering if blogging about it (making it in someway public) helped keep you motivated and inspired. I'd really like to go the full 365 days with this one and having tried it once a few years ago (and failed after about 2 months) am looking for a bit of guidance on how to ensure i keep it going.

I am limiting myself to Iphoneography to remove any issue with carrying a camera daily and to make editing as quick and easy as possible, that and the fact i love the art form.

thoughts, tip, suggestions etc all welcome along with gentle criticism

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxbchris/
Think they all look quite cool.

My personal thoughts are that when photo's are played with using iphoto or instagram type apps then they end up all looking the same and almost like you're trying too hard (trust me, I've spent hours playing).

That being said, with the big Lily they look really cool. So I guess the right photo works.

I could take a picture a day out here if I trained myself to think to do it. Maybe that's the thing to do?

On the days where there isn't much to inspire then what about taking a pic of the little man so you see him change every week or two over the year?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:33 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Think they all look quite cool.

My personal thoughts are that when photo's are played with using iphoto or instagram type apps then they end up all looking the same and almost like you're trying too hard (trust me, I've spent hours playing).
yup very problematic, partly i think its because the quality is lower so playing around can distract from that and partly because its easier to create a piece of "art" rather than just a recorded image
That being said, with the big Lily they look really cool. So I guess the right photo works.

I could take a picture a day out here if I trained myself to think to do it. Maybe that's the thing to do?
thats what im trying to do ;-)
On the days where there isn't much to inspire then what about taking a pic of the little man so you see him change every week or two over the year?
there are a LOT more of the wee man but we'll be keeping them private
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

there are a LOT more of the wee man but we'll be keeping them private
Yeah, understandable.

OK well the problem will be remembering every day. Reminder on your phone? But then at what time to remind you...hmm
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

Yeah, understandable.

OK well the problem will be remembering every day. Reminder on your phone? But then at what time to remind you...hmm
using an app called funnily enough project 365 to keep me straight, it has a reminder but tbh sometimes its a tad annoying being pestered by my phone to take a picture
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shiva,

I don't think you should have to be reimnding yourself to take pictures, its about being inspired to take pictures by something- if its a chore then it defeats the point, this is a creative project doing something you enjoy doing, so just look at the world differently, look for things that inspire you rather than panic to take a picture. I always think interesting imagery is created when you look at things from a different perspective, unusual crop zoomed in etc. even teh most mundane can be inspiring when you alter your perspective.

It's your art as long as it appeals to you it isnt about what other people think. If you want to make a living from it then thats different but creating images is a very personal thing - its about you connecting ins ome way with your subject- enjoy it!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi Shiva,

I don't think you should have to be reimnding yourself to take pictures, its about being inspired to take pictures by something- if its a chore then it defeats the point, this is a creative project doing something you enjoy doing, so just look at the world differently, look for things that inspire you rather than panic to take a picture. I always think interesting imagery is created when you look at things from a different perspective, unusual crop zoomed in etc. even teh most mundane can be inspiring when you alter your perspective.

It's your art as long as it appeals to you it isnt about what other people think. If you want to make a living from it then thats different but creating images is a very personal thing - its about you connecting ins ome way with your subject- enjoy it!
Girl answer.

Take pictures of cars and tits.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

you can take interesting pictures of cars and tits scamp! I have some in my house!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:14 am
Account Closed

you can take interesting pictures of cars and tits scamp! I have some in my house!
Tits or Cars?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:15 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Girl answer.

Take pictures of cars and tits.
I read that as cats and tits to start with. Reminded me a strange Japanese video on youtube I saw once...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

both scamp- minis (as in the cars)
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:23 am
**** it we'll do it live

Hi Shiva,

taking pictures in and of itself isnt a chore remembering /finding time each day is the tricky bit. As I said ive tried a 365 project before but with one thing and another after a couple of months it sort of fell off and id like to avoid that this time.

id agree mostly with the second part but advice is always good and if it helps you to improve then great. photography in itself isnt new to me in anyway, iphoneography and editing is, so i find it really easy to over gild the lily.
i cut my teeth on film and a fully manual minolta so considered shooting i find easy what i dont find easy is grabbing shots quickly or photographing things everyday.
The 365 thing is actually quiet daunting when i come to think about it. but i know i will value the end result if i can get there and it will improve my photography
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:25 am
Account Closed

taking pictures in and of itself isnt a chore remembering /finding time each day is the tricky bit. As I said ive tried a 365 project before but with one thing and another after a couple of months it sort of fell off and id like to avoid that this time.

id agree mostly with the second part but advice is always good and if it helps you to improve then great. photography in itself isnt new to me in anyway, iphoneography and editing is, so i find it really easy to over gild the lily.
i cut my teeth on film and a fully manual minolta so considered shooting i find easy what i dont find easy is grabbing shots quickly or photographing things everyday.
The 365 thing is actually quiet daunting when i come to think about it. but i know i will value the end result if i can get there and it will improve my photography
Not sure if you find the same but I see a lot of stuff I'd like to take a pic of whilst I'm driving....Tried it once but shit myself and then bollocked myself for being a dick.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:30 am
**** it we'll do it live

Not sure if you find the same but I see a lot of stuff I'd like to take a pic of whilst I'm driving....Tried it once but shit myself and then bollocked myself for being a dick.
some of the best views of dubai are from the roads but there are precious few places you can pull over to take the shot and given the driving here there is no way im just stopping in the slow lane!

i did notice the new mosque near business bay bridge a while back and the other day thought **** it and made a point of making my way to it to take a few shots. quite a nice wee place really.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

PhotoShop on the iPhone's handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.