Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Article 50 signed and delivered

Article 50 signed and delivered

Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

The OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond reputeThe OneEyedMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article 50 signed and delivered

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'm 36. I'm old.

I'm a bit more pragmatic, due to life experiences Every single doom and gloom forecast in my entire life has come to....nought. What did not happen were accurate predictions for the collapses that did occur.
You are young by my standards. But your last 2 sentences are wise.

Doom and gloom sells newspapers and books.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I have no desire to see a much loved part of a successful 300 year old union leave but that's for the people in Scotland to decide. I'm sure they will be happy having to pay their share of the national debt, negotiate military bases, the status of the border, the status of Scots in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and having to wait while their EU membership is approved...or not.

N.
Nor have i weirdly enough (it's a bit like the £50billion divorce bill the EU keeps shouting).

Surely it is for all the UK to decide though, do the English, Welsh, NI and Cornish people want to be part of a union that includes scotland?

And what is a scot anyway? Only people who are born there can vote? Just cos you live somewhere, as we know, doesn't mean you should have a vote.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Then again I think voting should be earned with a few years of service the state first
Why do you think this?

What sort of service? bin worker OK for you?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Then again I think voting should be earned with a few years of service the state first so I have a different view of this.

N.
I earned the vote in the EU Referendum by luck of birth, not being a crim (they can't vote can they?) and registering.

The last was hard enough.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I earned the vote in the EU Referendum by luck of birth, not being a crim (they can't vote can they?) and registering.

The last was hard enough.
only crims inside prison cant vote. Although the European Court of human Rights rules this is a breach of Human Rights

Having a criminal conviction doesn't bar you from voting.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
only crims inside prison cant vote. Although the European Court of human Rights rules this is a breach of Human Rights

Having a criminal conviction doesn't bar you from voting.
Fair enough.
I don't have an opinion on those inside, but those post-sentence with a conviction have served their time.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

i didn't have the right to vote. lived outside the UK too long
Old Apr 5th 2017, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
i didn't have the right to vote. lived outside the UK too long
Not sure where I stand on that either....guess there has to be a cut off.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

So, say a government in a country offers a shed load of money to immigrants to come to their country, cos it's in their interests (immigrants will vote for the party that gives them the most money/freedom), but then stops it's native born populace a vate - as they went to a neighboring country.

That's OK then?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
So, say a government in a country offers a shed load of money to immigrants to come to their country, cos it's in their interests (immigrants will vote for the party that gives them the most money/freedom), but then stops it's native born populace a vate - as they went to a neighboring country.

That's OK then?
Are you referring to Bahrain?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 3:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing

That's OK then?
Who does the vote effect?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not sure where I stand on that either....guess there has to be a cut off.
if you have been living abroad for over 15 years and not on the electoral register.
i did got back to study for a couple of years but didnt register
Old Apr 10th 2017, 6:00 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Don't you know this strictly a Daily Mail echo chamber serving only for the honking Brexit chorus, led by their pontificator in chief, to shrilly reassure each other that this magical mystery tour farrago on which we are about to embark leads only to the kingdom of heaven?

We dare not raise a voice to point out the emptiness of the rhetoric about the UK having freedom to strike trade deals (with whom for what?)
nor draw attention to the contradiction in preventing Scotland from exercising its democratic right to decide if it wishes to remain in a fundamentally changed UK while loudly insisting on the need to observe the outcome of the (legally non-binding) UK referendum on leaving the EU
nor even note the more fundamental contradiction in being pro-union (UK) and anti-union (EU) using opposing arguments in each case
nor expose the fallacy of regaining control of borders that were always in the control of the UK anyway
nor bemoan the ludicrous posturing that "we need them more than they need us" which passes for a Brexit negotiation strategy.

If we do, we risk being swatted aside with devastating wit as "remoaners" and dismissed as the "sort of people" who only get their news from the Maoist BBC. It' not possible that we are expressing these views because we care deeply about the future of the UK; it can only be because we are feckless liberal lefties/sandal-knitting hippies/super PC apologists/shoulder-chip bearing ethnic or gender or sexual minorities whose opinions cant be trusted, regardless of the rigour of our analysis in the face of 43 years of relentless press-baron bulls**t about the EU.

No; this thread, and increasingly this forum, serve only to host the endless tedious bloviation of a few self-satisfied humourless Brexit bores, accepting only one perspective as valid while others are dismissed with personal insults and rancour. Cue six more pages of hysteria...

exactly. god forbid you require some thought, introspection, analysis or even a plan of sorts