Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:24 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Interesting......what have you been discussing on this thread?
One isn't sat at dinner old boy . I was trying to give you a flavour of my take on philosphophy, my daughter & son in law both have degrees in it and I've had more than enough.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:46 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
One isn't sat at dinner old boy . I was trying to give you a flavour of my take on philosphophy, my daughter & son in law both have degrees in it and I've had more than enough.
You must be older than I imagined .
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:56 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by Dumbo
You must be older than I imagined .
I'm 56 and well gnarly.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:45 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

My final say on this.

Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.

One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:37 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiva
Ill address these points for a moment.
A) as is fairly clear I'm not religious and believe strongly that life has meaning. Ultimately it is purely to procreate and pass on my genetic material, my little bit of immortality.
To do so I am best served by having meaningful relationships with my wife, family and children. Evolution has deemed I have the best chance of doing this by having a strong support network around me and by being part of the larger community. This does not however mean that I cannot love these people or feel a close human bond to those in my and other communities. The acceptance of my true insignificance as merely a genetic vehicle does not preclude meaning in my life and in fact I would argue that acceptance of this truth leads to a more honest belief in the meaning of life.

B)religion, belief in a super natural power, spirituality etc are simply not needed to posses this wonder in the universe or to pass it on. I would argue that the more science one knows the more this fascination and wonder grows. God is. Not needed or necessary for this.

The fact we are all quite literally made from star dust and shall one day return to be burnt at the heart of a star is god enough for me. Carl Sagan had some brilliant things to say along these lines.
Carl Sagan - my hero!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:33 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kix

One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.
Or at least this is what one prefers to believe.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:36 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

That's an absolute fact and you have no evidence to prove different. Yawn
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

2BritsInSaudi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Hiya, though we haven't converted ourselves, we actually know of quite a lot of ex pats who've become muslim and know quite a few strictly practicing Muslims back in the UK (both converts and born muslims) -
Its more than safe to say what you see of Islam in the Middle East really isn't a reflection of what it actually preaches in the Qur'aan. Its a case of ''Dont judge the faith by what you see in the followers''. Hitler wasn't the best example of a Christian, though Christianity was at the top of his agenda with the holocaust.

So nope we havent converted but definitely met plenty of people who have. If theres something you wanted to ask them we could put you in touch. no harm asking questions i guess

hope that helps
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:43 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2BritsInSaudi
Hiya, though we haven't converted ourselves, we actually know of quite a lot of ex pats who've become muslim and know quite a few strictly practicing Muslims back in the UK (both converts and born muslims) -
Its more than safe to say what you see of Islam in the Middle East really isn't a reflection of what it actually preaches in the Qur'aan. Its a case of ''Dont judge the faith by what you see in the followers''. Hitler wasn't the best example of a Christian, though Christianity was at the top of his agenda with the holocaust.

So nope we havent converted but definitely met plenty of people who have. If theres something you wanted to ask them we could put you in touch. no harm asking questions i guess

hope that helps
Just when I thought this thread had stopped giving...
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:12 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britexpat76
That's an absolute fact and you have no evidence to prove different. Yawn
Not all atheists use their heads and you have no evidence to prove otherwise, you have only your wishful thinking that all atheists are some super rational creatures, on this thread it was proven that there is an unhinged fringe who is angry, irrational and offensive. This is by no means a hallmark of rational thinking.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:16 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Not all atheists use their heads and you have no evidence to prove otherwise, you have only your wishful thinking that all atheists are some super rational creatures, on this thread it was proven that there is an unhinged fringe who is angry, irrational and offensive. This is by no means a hallmark of rational thinking.
And that's just the religious ones...
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kix
And that's just the religious ones...
I don't want to bring this down to school spat 'yes you are no I'm not' level but you should note that the atheist team was even warned by the moderator while the pro-religion team stayed composed, well behaved and supported their position with well elaborated arguments. The pro-atheist team on the other hand (with few notable exceptions) were reduced to angry rants (for which as I pointed out even the moderator intervention was required) and posting pictures of dicks and of other irrelevant and inaccurate content. There were a few attempts to discuss the topic with the support of arguments, but these were mostly incoherent and vastly inaccurate (like for example the claim that the stoning is an option recommended in the bible).

Overall, I don't think either side proved their point, which suits me fine as I am right there in the middle between believing and non believing. As usual, I am victorious.

With this I will conclude my contribution to this topic.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:46 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:58 am
Account Closed

you should note that the atheist team was even warned by the moderator
I was that moderator and I issued a general warning, not aimed at one 'side' or the other because I have to play in accordance with the site rules.
As usual, I am victorious.
Victorious? You were dis-proven on many points, you failed to present any cogent arguments. I suppose that could be said to be a victory if you're using the French definition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.