Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:23 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on here converted (embraced) Islam?

Originally Posted by mikewot
Treat your beliefs like your genitals, don't get them out in public and don't shove them down your kids throats.
Very hypocritical, please read your posts back on this thread where you have done exactly that.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:25 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:25 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:26 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:27 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Brown belt with black shoes?

STONE HIM!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Very hypocritical, please read your posts back on this thread where you have done exactly that.
Example please
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbo
I wasn't going to accuse you of anything it was a question directed at you because you are one of the more anti-religious posters on the forum. I wasn't trying to offend you, I am sure that you can see the benefit in everyone questioning themselves and their own beliefs from time to time.

As I said in my initial post I am neither for nor against religion. As you mentioned earlier a persons belief system should be private. However, you will notice my name and avatar is Dumbo and I chose the avatar because of the symbolism. I am sure that you know the story and you can decide for yourself.

I wouldn't say that I am a supporter at all, I have no problem with people who have faith, I believe that fundamentally everybody atheist, christian, muslim, budhist etc. wants the same thing. Unfortunately some people take the mentally bit of fundamentally too seriously.

I also think there are serious issues when people are researching the histories of religions and quoting them on these threads, it is so easy to take things from 2,000 years ago out of context, not to mention question how accurate the information is. We all know who gets to write history.
Thank you.

Generally it is the men who get to write history. The victorious men.

I agree that we should all question our beliefs and be broad-minded enough to change them if presented with enough evidence. Referring to beliefs generally, social and political as well as religious.

I like to think of myself as less anti-religious, as anti-idiocy/narrow-mindedness/bigotry etc. I have met people of every faith who are tolerant, kind and willing to listen to other points of view, just as I have met the opposite in every faith. That said, I simply cannot understand how anyone can believe in any of them seriously.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I like this one. (The one immediately above.)

It has always seemed to me that the demand for worship makes these gods seem very arrogant. They want fancy temples when the money could be used to feed the starving and adherence to an arbitrary set of rules even if they are to the detriment of many.

If these gods are all loving and all powerful, I fail to see why so many awful things happen to good people, and vice versa, and they never intervene in any way.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow

They want fancy temples when the money could be used to feed the starving
My RE teacher at secondary school held no beliefs...so made him the perfect teacher to cover different religions objectively and factually. (We got a militant CHristian after he left).

We asked him one day if he was religous because he was quite critical of ceratin things etc...his response has stuck with me: "I don't subscribe to any religion"
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing how much hot air this subject generates.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:44 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Scamp
My RE teacher at secondary school held no beliefs...so made him the perfect teacher to cover different religions objectively and factually. (We got a militant CHristian after he left).

We asked him one day if he was religous because he was quite critical of ceratin things etc...his response has stuck with me: "I don't subscribe to any religion"
If not, then why did he choose to teach it? I don't expect you to know the answers, but I'd like to ask him.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:47 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If not, then why did he choose to teach it? I don't expect you to know the answers, but I'd like to ask him.
I can help there, my friends wife is an RE teacher. She hates religion so teaches with an open mind. Its a subject and a job to her.

(she also got deputy headmistress in the school too)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.