Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Old Nov 12th 2011, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Originally Posted by alicat26
Being asked "how are you?" as a statement not a genuine question anyone wants to hear the answer to.
I think sometime in the past NZ must have been a splinter group of the U.S. of A. It's just the same here, nobody actually wants to hear how you are a all, unless of course the answer is the typical one word answer of 'Good!' or 'Oar-sum!'.

We have so many stangled and mangled words that are offensive to the ears; knowen, growen and showen, just for starters.

The worst for me is 'woman', which is said exactly the same regardless if they mean the singular one woman, two woman or many woman.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The thing is, the staff don't like scripted stuff and the customers don't appear to like it either. It's false. So why do the companies do it...if not to keep employees in line?
Well, that was my main issue with the "How are you today" statements. My annoyance is not with the clerks or cashiers themselves, it's with the companies making them say the same script over and over again.

Example - went into Target, got to check out, then I was asked the obligatory "How are you?", then "Did you find everything you were looking for?" then "do you have a Target card?" No, OK "well you can save 10% by opening one today blah blah blah" I said "I am not interested in doing that right now, but thanks anyway". Cashier says, "OK well just to let you know you could have saved 10% today, and on future purchases, OK?" - It's just annoying how they want to push something on you and then state the obvious when you politely refuse - well you know you could have saved money - yes, well I said no thanks, so why go on about it.

Again, I'm not berating the staff, it's the way companies make their staff go through this with each and every customer like a robot, it doesn't matter what I say I will get the scripted response.

I don't mind making friendly small talk, just don't like being talked AT like a robot.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:01 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

My list is almost endless! But these annoy the most.

"God Bless the USA!" to which I add "And screw everybody else!" or, "how selfish of you."
I only say "God Bless the USA!" when I hear something that is really stupid, like this morning when I heard one of our Deputies wondering why Iran wants to invade the US...
"Know what I'm saying?" "Yes, English is my first language."
This often gets;
"Do what now?" My answer is always "Try to learn, understand and appreciate English."
Old Nov 12th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
My list is almost endless! But these annoy the most.

"God Bless the USA!" to which I add "And screw everybody else!" or, "how selfish of you."
I only say "God Bless the USA!" when I hear something that is really stupid, like this morning when I heard one of our Deputies wondering why Iran wants to invade the US...
"Know what I'm saying?" "Yes, English is my first language."
This often gets;
"Do what now?" My answer is always "Try to learn, understand and appreciate English."
Yeah I never liked " do what now." or even worse the "huhhhh?" as a response not sorry or pardon just Huuuggggghhhhh?

I can't wait to blend in and not have an accent people can't understand.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Whatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really niceWhatshername is just really nice

I dislike the word "gotten" - and another thing I dislike is "wow" - as in "wow this has gotten crazy !"
Old Nov 12th 2011, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
I hate "shop" being used as a verb, as in something like "last chance to shop the clearance sale".
Yes - 'Thank you for shopping Ralphs'. It sounds like you've turned them in for something.

Some days I don't mind having my accent imitated, other days it's really annoying.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 7:39 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes - 'Thank you for shopping Ralphs'. It sounds like you've turned them in for something.

Some days I don't mind having my accent imitated, other days it's really annoying.
In 21 years that has only happened twice, to my face. Behind my back? Don't know or really care.
Many people want to come here "...for a better life." I came to do a job, that should have taken 3 months, but was delayed for four, then another three. By month three, I was talked into staying and setting up business here.