Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Following on from the Brit words and expressions threads, what words or expressions will/won't you miss from wherever you left?

I wouldn't go as far as to say they annoy me but the 'S' on accommodations and informations?

Why is everything awesome?

When you say "I love you" why do you get "Love you more" back as if it's a competition even though that's not what was meant.

(This stuff is in Canada)
Old Nov 9th 2011, 9:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Words/expressions glad to leave behind

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Following on from the Brit words and expressions threads, what words or expressions will/won't you miss from wherever you left?

I wouldn't go as far as to say they annoy me but the 'S' on accommodations and informations?

Why is everything awesome?

When you say "I love you" why do you get "Love you more" back as if it's a competition even though that's not what was meant.

(This stuff is in Canada)
Mission accomplished

Bring it on

Nucular

U-S-A, U-S-A, etc.

and one letter: W
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Some expressions I will most likely never (thankfully) hear again are:-

Hunker Down

AND

Batten Down the Hatches

Living in a hurricane prone area or not, you too can join in the fun and play the hurricane is approaching drinking game.....

As a hurricane/other weather disaster approaches, tune into the weather channel or any cable news network for 24 hr non-stop coverage.

Every mention of hunker down = take a shot

Every mention of batten down the hatches = take shot.

Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Oh, BristolUK, I too agree that not everything can be awesome. I look forward to not hearing that all the time!!

...oh, and also "you guys"
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicat26

...oh, and also "you guys"
God I hate that one, plus the possessive, 'you guys's'.

The greatest country in the world.

I'm doing good, I'm doing awesome.

Touching base.

Ducks in a row.

Did you find everything OK? In fact all service-related cliches.

Could care less.

But wait!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
God I hate that one, plus the possessive, 'you guys's'.

The greatest country in the world.

I'm doing good, I'm doing awesome.

Touching base.

Ducks in a row.

Did you find everything OK? In fact all service-related cliches.

Could care less.

But wait!
Isn't that one British?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

America's the greatest nation on earth - (what, for obesity? )

U. S. A. U. S. A.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:37 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I will be glad never to hear 'winningest' ever again. What a horror that is!

Also 'gift' used as a verb (please tell me that hasn't caught on in the UK?)

And of course, endless mentions of 'freedom' and God.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Isn't that one British?
Is it? I'd never heard it until I got here.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Being asked "how are you?" as a statement not a genuine question anyone wants to hear the answer to.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 10:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicat26
Being asked "how are you?" as a statement not a genuine question anyone wants to hear the answer to.
Especially on the phone from a total stranger.

In line at the check-out can be embarrassing. They ask how the customer is and the customer answers but also asks after the clerk.

So while you're in line, hearing the clerk tell people in front how they are, why bother asking?

"I'm good thanks. I won't ask about you as I just heard you telling people."

Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I called customer service for a credit card inquiry and I spoke to the rep, went though all the initial questions and I explained what I wanted to do. Then the rep said "how are you doing today." err fine, that's normally something someone says at the beginning of a call not half way through.

What if I wasn't doing well? I just get tired of empty gestures like that, just get on with helping me at the check out or over the phone.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 2:52 am
Account Closed

sirscotsalot is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in retail in the USA and yes, its gets old asking "how are you today?" I know the customer just wants checked out quickly and I am sure they don't want to know my feet are tired from standing 8 hours a day and my arms ache from loading their cart for them! but we are required to say these things! I know when I go through a check out I am happy not to say anything and am happy for the cashier not to go through his/routine!
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:12 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by sirscotsalot
I work in retail in the USA and yes, its gets old asking "how are you today?" I know the customer just wants checked out quickly and I am sure they don't want to know my feet are tired from standing 8 hours a day and my arms ache from loading their cart for them! but we are required to say these things!
Actually I'd rather know about the aching limbs, overdue a break etc. That would be a lot more personal.

In fact a month or so ago a cashier mentioned she was overdue a break and then her colleague did too; nobody was doing anything about it.

When I got home I sent an email to the store manager (no staff details mentioned) to say someone wasn't organising breaks properly.

The thing is, the staff don't like scripted stuff and the customers don't appear to like it either. It's false. So why do the companies do it...if not to keep employees in line?
Old Nov 12th 2011, 7:56 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I hate "shop" being used as a verb, as in something like "last chance to shop the clearance sale".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.