Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

If the economy is so bad, then why ...

If the economy is so bad, then why ...

Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default If the economy is so bad, then why ...

... can't I get businesses to return my calls? I can't understand it, but I can't get tradespeople to call me back, or turn up to give quotes, or if they do turn up, they don't follow up (don't send me the bloody quote!).

Can't get estate agents to call me back.

Emailed a car sales company to say I was interested in a car and wanted to trade in my old car. No response.

I'd think with the economy supposedly being so bad, businesses would be fighting tooth and nail to please potential customers.

Anyone else finding the same thing?

p.s. Mods, can you please add a grumpy old man smiley?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If the economy is so bad, then why ...

I don't know about recently but I have always found a general reluctance to answer emails. Even places that specifically advertise their email address and encourage contact.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:18 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

It does depend on where you are I find. In the North West, over the summer when we were renovating the bungalow, we had to organise plumbers, electricians, painters and decorators, furniture deliveries - very hectic time!

Apart from two 'no shows', at a critical point in the refurbishment we then (on a neighbour's recommendation) found a couple of rival tradespeople who did show up.

Everything was (thankfully!) sorted within the shortish time frame that we had.

To be fair, we did use local rather than big name firms for absolutely everything and were very happy with the standard, quality and cost of the work completed.

Independent traders in my experience do a far better and more cost effective job compared to the national companies - though it can be a lottery out there I know.

Try asking people to recommend a good estate agent. The smaller, local car dealerships are usually more in tune too with consumer needs I've found.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wub
It does depend on where you are I find. In the North West, over the summer when we were renovating the bungalow, we had to organise plumbers, electricians, painters and decorators, furniture deliveries - very hectic time!

Apart from two 'no shows', at a critical point in the refurbishment we then (on a neighbour's recommendation) found a couple of rival tradespeople who did show up.

Everything was (thankfully!) sorted within the shortish time frame that we had.

To be fair, we did use local rather than big name firms for absolutely everything and were very happy with the standard, quality and cost of the work completed.

Independent traders in my experience do a far better and more cost effective job compared to the national companies - though it can be a lottery out there I know.

Try asking people to recommend a good estate agent. The smaller, local car dealerships are usually more in tune too with consumer needs I've found.
I've often found the opposite, big company will definitely turn up, do the job, and give you a written invoice. They even follow up with a 'how are you getting on?' phone call. On the other hand I've found 'one man bands' rarely turn up, don't return calls, if they do come they can't fix the problem and if they do they don't give you a receipt.

Our big name charges quite a big but for reliability and speed and being able to solve the problem they win hands down.

That was First Access (electrics/heating). 100%

Now with Everest, well their name is now mud in this house. They definitely aren't 'the best.' Over a year they failed half a dozen times to install a new door we had ordered when we took time off work to be in, it was a different excuse evety time, wrong door, wrong wood, parking problems, crack in the door.. Even after cancelling after a year all they sent in compensation for the wasted time/calls etc was a lousy bunch of flowers I gave away because of the pets.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:52 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Dunrovin, I've always found the same, in Canada as well as here. I don't understand it either. I wonder if some individual tradespeople don't want to work directly for homeowners because they're nervous about estimating and any legal issues. I wonder if trades training includes business training.

But it's hard to get a cleaner, even offering good money. Where's the explanation for that?

Bev
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I've often found the opposite, big company will definitely turn up, do the job, and give you a written invoice. They even follow up with a 'how are you getting on?' phone call. On the other hand I've found 'one man bands' rarely turn up, don't return calls, if they do come they can't fix the problem and if they do they don't give you a receipt.

Our big name charges quite a big but for reliability and speed and being able to solve the problem they win hands down.

That was First Access (electrics/heating). 100%

Now with Everest, well their name is now mud in this house. They definitely aren't 'the best.' Over a year they failed half a dozen times to install a new door we had ordered when we took time off work to be in, it was a different excuse evety time, wrong door, wrong wood, parking problems, crack in the door.. Even after cancelling after a year all they sent in compensation for the wasted time/calls etc was a lousy bunch of flowers I gave away because of the pets.
Yes, I am coming around to the idea that the middle-sized businesses are the best. Our local electrician company has about 15 employees and they are fantastic. Mind you, my carpet guy is a "man and his mate in a van" business and he has been fantastic, too. On time, friendly and polite (we both jabber about cycling), and very reasonably priced (but highly competent).

I wouldn't touch most national-level companies. Don't get me started on Kwik-Fit, for example.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
... can't I get businesses to return my calls? I can't understand it, but I can't get tradespeople to call me back, or turn up to give quotes, or if they do turn up, they don't follow up (don't send me the bloody quote!).

Can't get estate agents to call me back.

Emailed a car sales company to say I was interested in a car and wanted to trade in my old car. No response.

I'd think with the economy supposedly being so bad, businesses would be fighting tooth and nail to please potential customers.

Anyone else finding the same thing?

p.s. Mods, can you please add a grumpy old man smiley?
Did you get sorted with a car? if not try Evans Halshaw they are in Newcastle and will deliver cars anywhere in the UK at no extra cost. They delivered mine to Skipton.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:41 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Guinness
Did you get sorted with a car? if not try Evans Halshaw they are in Newcastle and will deliver cars anywhere in the UK at no extra cost. They delivered mine to Skipton.
I'm one of those old-fashioned folks who wants to sit in it and drive it before I buy it. I think especially with used cars, they look good in the photo but when you see it in real life the paint is faded, seats are worn and it stinks of cigarettes. I figure if I wouldn't buy a £20 sweater without trying it on, I definitely won't buy a car without trying it (and you can't return a car just because the seats are a bit more worn than you thought).

But thanks for the suggestion - don't want to seem ungrateful!