Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What a mistake it was to move back to UK

What a mistake it was to move back to UK

Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Sonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really niceSonjie is just really nice
Default Re: What a mistake it was to move back to UK

Hi everyone, I have just returned from 3 years in Brisbane - trying to get permanent residency was a long, expensive (migration lawyers) and stressful experience...and I still hadn't got it by the time I returned! I have had much negative feedback from others about returning....even from those living in the UK...and reading the initial posting here was quite depressing.....but even though it was a real shock to the system on my return, from the rubbish everywhere to experiencing foul youth speak on the bus and town centre, I am doing my best to focus on other things. I cannot deny that there is a better quality of life in OZ, but it depends what you want out of life....for me family and good freinds are important..as are some of the typical British cultural things that people love to have.....yes I loved Queensland, the very outdoor lyfestyle, the fact the beaches went on for ever in some cases, were of fine sand and not such a mission to drive to, the flora and fauna was spectacular, you could plan your days as every day (apart from winter) was real hot........I made sure I so appreciated it while I was there even though I did not think I would leave...but they have Government healthcare problems too...and voilence, drug problems.....very high water restrictions,global warming, high skin cancer rate.....so it's not all just roses. When I arrived In OZ, it was a kinda WOW! for me..........but once you settle in....you live just like everyone else and the Aussies worry about similar things to us, and I was surprised at the high suicide rate....sadly, I even had the experience of seeing a young man attempt to jump off the bridge I walked home over every day.....fortunately the police talked him out of it........many things made me realise that sometimes part of it is what you make of it.....and yes England is not OZ, has a lot of problems, and never more so highlighted when you live abroad.....is expensive and the weather leaves a lot to be desired....but we have so much history and culture....before I left for OZ I visited many historical and beautiful places in the UK............OZ is only a few hundred years old and is beautiful in it's own right......aparently 10 thousand people a week are moving to Queensland...from other states and from abroad.....so the population is fast growing over there too........... I do know my experience has really opened my eyes and having moved to the otherside of the world...I know, if needs must (though my mother is getting old now) ..I must find a way to improve my life in the UK....even though I am contemplating starting my life completely over. I am not the first or last to say emigrating cost me my marriage in the end. I know of someone in NZ who emigrated from the UK, she wants to return to the UK and he doesnt, ever, and she is now on anti-depressants....what quality of life is that for her ...or him for that matter? But each to their own I suppose. Am really trying not to focus on the negative...but it sure isn't easy I will admit....who knows how I will feel in a months time.....maybe it will drive me nuts...or it just hasn't kicked in yet LOL!!!! Cheers S
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:43 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What a mistake it was to move back to UK

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Anybody with the ID of Man City show a complete lack of judgement right from the off.
LOL - i c Man U won 4-1 yesterday....in the finals now

Up the reds