What is a "Chav"??

Old May 3rd 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default What is a "Chav"??

I keep hearing about "Chavs" back in England.

I understand they are less than desirable but what is a "Chav",where did they spring and why are they so prevelant?

I have to ask as the word wasn't part of the language when I left 13 years ago.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What is a "Chav"??

Chav ( ) is a term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical "chav"--known also as a charver in Yorkshire and North East England--is an aggressive teenager, typically unemployed or of white working class background, who repeatedly engages in anti-social behaviour ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I keep hearing about "Chavs" back in England.

I understand they are less than desirable but what is a "Chav",where did they spring and why are they so prevelant?

I have to ask as the word wasn't part of the language when I left 13 years ago.
Lots of helpful information on chavs here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=chav
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
Lots of helpful information on chavs here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=chav
Thanks, so they've always been around just never been labeled ?
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

modern day teddy boy, etc.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What is a "Chav"??

I haven't read through the links but 'chav' is a slang word for someone whom lives in a "Council House And Violent"
Old May 4th 2011, 1:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Thanks, so they've always been around just never been labeled ?
Yes. My mum just used to call them 'common as muck.' And then when we were teenagers, we called them "Shazes and Bazes" (as in Shaz for Sharon and Baz for Barry). Just the same old same old.
Old May 4th 2011, 3:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What is a "Chav"??

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes. My mum just used to call them 'common as muck.' And then when we were teenagers, we called them "Shazes and Bazes" (as in Shaz for Sharon and Baz for Barry). Just the same old same old.
And the Aussies call theirs 'Bogans'...
Old May 4th 2011, 6:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

When in doubt I go to the OED for word origins and history, and this is what they have;

Etymology: Probably either < Romani čhavo unmarried Romani male, male Romani child (see chavvy n.), or shortened < either chavvy n. or its etymon Angloromani chavvy.
It has also been suggested that this word is a colloquial shortening of Chatham, the name of a town in Kent where the term is sometimes said to have originated (compare quots. 1998, 2002), although this is probably a later rationalization.

So with this etymology noted, if you go to the OED entry for chavvy, you get;

Etymology: < Angloromani chavvy child (compare Romani čhavo male Romani child), ultimately < Sanskrit śāva the young of any animal....

Brit. slang (orig. cant).

A baby, a child.
1886 W. Newton Secrets Tramp Life Revealed 9 Chavies‥. Children—Boys or Girls.
1898 T. Watts-Dunton Coming of Love 29 She loves to see her chavi lookin' grand.
1914 J. Hounam in Sc. Nat. Dict. (1941) II. 83/2 [Dumfriesshire] Has she gotten a chavie?
Old May 5th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Chavs

Wear tracksuit pants and gold chains, think the Beckhams are the most amazing people on the planet.

look abit like pikies....

chav brands like Burburry, Kappa, (infact chav girls are often referred too as Kappa Slapp*r)

Daniella Westbrook and Jordon are well known Chavs as was the late Jade Goody.

So damaged by the attachment to Chavs, Burberry considered leaving the Uk altogether

Dont worry they are everywhere in the UK, not just Essex or Manchester so youll find out soon enough.
Old May 5th 2011, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne and Coleen Rooney are chav royalty
Old May 5th 2011, 11:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
Dont worry they are everywhere in the UK, not just Essex or Manchester so youll find out soon enough.
As they always have been. There's really nothing new here - just the "fashions" have changed. We have them over here too - The Jersey Shore crowd are the ultimate chavs.

But there's something that makes me uncomfortable about the whole idea - this lumping together a group of people into one category, as though they have no other defining characteristics, just for the purpose of looking down on them.
Old May 5th 2011, 10:14 pm

Wink Re: What is a "Chav"??

OMG - (Chav) ladies' 'Day At The Races'.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nty-thigh.html

(the comments below the report indicate that the racegoers are 'Scouse chavs' (ie. from Liverpool)
Old May 6th 2011, 12:22 am
Just Joined

YankeeUKBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Sherro's got it right on the money. My good friend in London is forever sending me pics of chavs
Old May 6th 2011, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

UK Chav = US Trailer Trash.

Trailer Trash live to appear on Jerry Springer
Chavs live to appear on Jeremy Kyle.

Note: I am not inferring that all residents of trailer courts are lacking in moral turpitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.