Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Wikiposts

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Originally Posted by beachgal21
No he doesn't have any guns, that was the one thing that I absolutely put my foot down about when we first met. I'm sure he'd like to though, his thinks that everyone should be given a gun before boarding a plane just in case of hi-jackers or other nutcases (I know, you don't need to say anything)Thanks for your concern, I'll be sure to log out as you suggest
Thanks Beach, thats a good thing...

And I so much wanted to add a comment, hahahaa
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Rosie,

Amusing and sad, I hate how some guys cant let their lovely wives make their own decesions, Im sure it happens alot even now.
I had the same reaction but a different conclusion... isn't it sad that some wives feel they can't make their own decisions, but have to follow their husbands' wishes?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:27 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity I would like to ask if any US healthcare expenses eg insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses for meds, dental, etc are tax deductible or awarded tax credits.

Here in Canada our doctors and hospital treatments are free (there is no such thing as 'private' treatment). We do pay for meds and dental. Our family medical insurance costs $75 bi-weekly to cover a family of 4 up to 80%. On co-pay a dental filling costs me around $20 and antibiotics cost around $4. Removal of son's wisdom teeth cost $1700 with insurance picking up $1000 (yearly maximum). I have theraputic massages which cost $65 but I only pay $15 because insurance picks up $50 (up to $500 a year).

In Nova Scotia, we also have pharmacare for low income families, and special assistance for cancer patients, diabetics and people with disabilities. For seniors the co-payment is 30% per prescription to an annual maximum of $382. The annual maximum premium is $424.

Do people in the USA get any credits/refunds for medical expenses at tax time and is there any provision for seniors?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Just out of curiosity I would like to ask if any US healthcare expenses eg insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses for meds, dental, etc are tax deductible or awarded tax credits.

Here in Canada our doctors and hospital treatments are free (there is no such thing as 'private' treatment). We do pay for meds and dental. Our family medical insurance costs $75 bi-weekly to cover a family of 4 up to 80%. On co-pay a dental filling costs me around $20 and antibiotics cost around $4. Removal of son's wisdom teeth cost $1700 with insurance picking up $1000 (yearly maximum). I have theraputic massages which cost $65 but I only pay $15 because insurance picks up $50 (up to $500 a year).

In Nova Scotia, we also have pharmacare for low income families, and special assistance for cancer patients, diabetics and people with disabilities. For seniors the co-payment is 30% per prescription to an annual maximum of $382. The annual maximum premium is $424.

Do people in the USA get any credits/refunds for medical expenses at tax time and is there any provision for seniors?
To claim on your taxes you have to keep and add up all your monthly premium payments and your share of the bills, and even add up mileage I was told. It has to all add up to a certain % of the annual income to get anything back. Ours doesn't. One year we did get to deduct it, we put out over $20,000 in our share and premiums and deducibles and got a small amount back when we did the taxes, we were so poor that year it was half our income after taxes and we still had to pay the usual bills.
Since then Dh has a job with better insurance and we have dental and optical at this job too, never had that before.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I had the same reaction but a different conclusion... isn't it sad that some wives feel they can't make their own decisions, but have to follow their husbands' wishes?
So True... its 2011 not 1965...
I suppose we have to give Rosies Mum a break, shes old school and 93...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
No he doesn't have any guns, that was the one thing that I absolutely put my foot down about when we first met. I'm sure he'd like to though, his thinks that everyone should be given a gun before boarding a plane just in case of hi-jackers or other nutcases (I know, you don't need to say anything)

Thanks for your concern, I'll be sure to log out as you suggest
You know that's one thing I never even think about, guns.

I hate the bloody things and still get a bit nervy to see cops carrying them here in Australia.

I would HATE to live in a country where guns are around you who knows where, in somebody's bag or car or pocket.........shudder!!!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cookie

Wow Cookie, Good Info, I'm ready to move over the border, thought about it many times.

Of course its a well known fact at least to us that we used to have organized bus trips to Canada for drugs, I'm 100% serious, not sure if that still happens as Canada now ships drugs here to some people, we also had bus trips to Mexico for those living in the South, Old folks would load up buying a three month supply... have you guys heard about this?

Of course there have been lots of rumors that your drugs are substandard and some people believe it, I've never heard of Canadians dropping like flies to bad drugs hahahaa I knew it was just another FEAR story to keep Americans under the thumb...

As Mummy said there are Tax breaks on premiums but it all depends on income and household, everyone is different...

Seniors do get basic medicare but still it costs money and many buy additional medical coverage, many old folks are poor and cant afford these drugs, its just a mess, we all seem to be under different circumstances so nobody bands together for the common good.

Even though I have Insurance we pay $30 co-pay per 5 minute visit, the Dr bills the Insurance for the rest, they cap and control what he can charge them, they get a bulk discount so to speak, without Insurance my cost for a 5 minute visit would be $150, that's why poor people cant afford to go.

We pay $750 a month for a couple, no kids, that's for 70% coverage, we used to have 80% but the prices went up so much we cant afford that anymore... this doesn't include dentist but does include one eye test per year, we also have deductibles we have to reach before they kick in on some things.

I can get Generic drugs if available for a $10 co-pay, for name brands I get a 50% discount, Last year I paid $300 for 6 grams of cream, 6 grams is very small, still I was grateful as it helped with my skin cancer.

There are no limits as to what you will be charged for Drugs per year...

If you have no private doctors who do the wealthy people see??? Just curious...

Right now Blue Cross of California are trying to raise the Medical insurance rates by 65%, how can anyone justify that, but of course the boss gets paid $10 Million a year so what do you expect.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jan 12th 2011 at 6:37 am. Reason: additional comment
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You know that's one thing I never even think about, guns.

I hate the bloody things and still get a bit nervy to see cops carrying them here in Australia.

I would HATE to live in a country where guns are around you who knows where, in somebody's bag or car or pocket.........shudder!!!
There is a gun for every man, woman and child, so we have 300 Million of them.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

There is a gun for every man, woman and child, so we have 300 Million of them.

Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
To claim on your taxes you have to keep and add up all your monthly premium payments and your share of the bills, and even add up mileage I was told. It has to all add up to a certain % of the annual income to get anything back. Ours doesn't. One year we did get to deduct it, we put out over $20,000 in our share and premiums and deducibles and got a small amount back when we did the taxes, we were so poor that year it was half our income after taxes and we still had to pay the usual bills.
Since then Dh has a job with better insurance and we have dental and optical at this job too, never had that before.
Yes, I used TurboTax software every year and I don't think I ever came close to the minimum for offsetting health care costs against taxes (I even would put in silly amounts, just to see if it would go over the limit). I can't understand the US tax system sometimes - why not just say ALL health care costs are offset?

Mind you, I got smart eventually. I used to pay into one of those pre-pay schemes that you pay into pre-tax and can then use to pay for healthcare. If you don't need any health care, you end p losing it - but you can use it for glasses, dental work, etc, so if you are smart, you strategise and if you have any left in there at the end of the tax year, then you get your teeth whitened, or a new pair of prescription sunglasses.

I can't remember what it was called now ... I know, a FLEX spending account: http://www.ehow.com/how_2121943_use-...g-account.html
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:19 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others - to offset your out-of-pocket expenses they have to be a very high portion of your total income, so for most people that doesn't apply.

Where I live you never see guns so I find it bizarre that in some places people are allowed to walk around openly carrying them. I will never understand Americans' obsession with guns - it doesn't seem to be something you can reason with most people about. They just say '2nd amendment rights' and that's that but I doubt that the founding fathers intended for insane kids to be able to buy automatic weapons at Wal-Mart.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Agree with the others - to offset your out-of-pocket expenses they have to be a very high portion of your total income, so for most people that doesn't apply.

Where I live you never see guns so I find it bizarre that in some places people are allowed to walk around openly carrying them. I will never understand Americans' obsession with guns - it doesn't seem to be something you can reason with most people about. They just say '2nd amendment rights' and that's that but I doubt that the founding fathers intended for insane kids to be able to buy automatic weapons at Wal-Mart.
No, they just wanted an armed civil militia at the ready in case the redcoats invaded. (seriously).

I don't think the UK has had any intention to send over the recoats for quite some time now.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, they just wanted an armed civil militia at the ready in case the redcoats invaded. (seriously).

I don't think the UK has had any intention to send over the recoats for quite some time now.
I thought the redcoats worked for Butlins... Hahahaaaaa
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I used TurboTax software every year and I don't think I ever came close to the minimum for offsetting health care costs against taxes (I even would put in silly amounts, just to see if it would go over the limit). I can't understand the US tax system sometimes - why not just say ALL health care costs are offset?

Mind you, I got smart eventually. I used to pay into one of those pre-pay schemes that you pay into pre-tax and can then use to pay for healthcare. If you don't need any health care, you end p losing it - but you can use it for glasses, dental work, etc, so if you are smart, you strategise and if you have any left in there at the end of the tax year, then you get your teeth whitened, or a new pair of prescription sunglasses.

I can't remember what it was called now ... I know, a FLEX spending account: http://www.ehow.com/how_2121943_use-...g-account.html
They changed the rules on those flex spending accounts this year, you can no longer buy anything without a prescription to use it, so many people will find themselves losing what is in the account. Used to be you could buy your allergy meds and bandages, and Advil etc etc. So many meds are now not prescription it's not going to be worth having one unless you have something serious wrong with you. Or put a whole lot less in it.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:40 am
Ping-ponger

I thought the redcoats worked for Butlins... Hahahaaaaa
Yes, who needs guns, they could kill Americans at 40 paces with their corny British holiday camp humour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.