Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Wikiposts

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I worked with my Brother-in-law for 16 years, he was always that happy you guy you mentioned, always the most positive Id ever known, we moved away from that state, then last year I saw him and he was so down and Negative, I asked what was wrong and his kids shouted out, "Its that dam Fox he watches", I discussed it with him privately and told him he had drastically changed, he respects me and my views, he had changed jobs, now working closely for a person with republican views, all he could talk about was FOX and their people, I convinced him he would be better off not watching that stuff, Today my sister wont allow any news on TV, they watch movies and comedies, I just went back to spend Christmas with them, I felt like I was living in a different world, No News, and he is much better for it, he is a happy guy again, still he gets bad info from his boss but at least he does'nt get reinforced by the TV at home every.

Its very hard to change people once they see it one way, Look at Nazi Germany and you can see how people can be lead like sheep. Just saying.
My OH watches Fox News but not while I'm around, but mostly he get's all his ideas from the people he listens to on Sirius Radio. He's a huge Mike Church fan and hangs on his every word. I have to smile when I hear him calling other people 'sheeple', he doesn't realize that that's exactly what he is, he just follows a different shepherd.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Agreed 100% , couldn't have put it any better. I think , to me, Americans seem much more easily swayed and "manipulated" by the media / government. Us Brits would say ' F that " to a lot of what gets said & written in the news here but Americans are more likely to be taken in by it.
I agree with you. The difference in the news programs here in the US is one of the first things I noticed when I moved here. The news in the UK is just the news, sort of "here are the facts now draw your own conclusions and make your own mind up." Here in the US the news is given in the form of the news-casters 'opinion' of the facts, and of course the news companies are always heavily politically biased, so you get a different version of the facts depending on which news program you listen to.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
My OH watches Fox News but not while I'm around, but mostly he get's all his ideas from the people he listens to on Sirius Radio. He's a huge Mike Church fan and hangs on his every word. I have to smile when I hear him calling other people 'sheeple', he doesn't realize that that's exactly what he is, he just follows a different shepherd.
How do you bite your tongue, I'd be telling him he's the one who's a brain washed sheep.
How on earth you can cope when he's changed so much I don't know (((hugs)))
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I remember meeting a British lady on the train a few weeks before I left England, in the 1986. She said she was sorry that I felt I had to move to America. She and her husband - a Medical Doctor - had just returned, as her husband said he could not work for a country that did not take care of it's people. I still remember her words.

On a similar vein - a friend here in England sent me a message today to say Sarah Palin had gone into hiding - anyone know about this? I did turn on the Beeb but it did not mention anything about this.
To answer my own question about Sarah Palin (just so that gossip does not fill the air) this is what I found from Huffington Post:

“After the Katie Couric interview, Sarah Palin went into hiding for a few days, to then appear after clearly having practiced her response. This happened subsequent­ly a couple more times, like when she resigned.

We don't see much of her now because she is practicing her response, message, and delivery.”

Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin emailed each other about the shooting in Arizona, and Beck read some of their exchange on his Monday radio show. Beck told Palin he feared for her safety, and he condemned the shooting, which led to the deaths of six people and the wounding of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Both have been accused by some as having contributed to the political climate that may have indirectly led to the shooting. Palin, in particular, has drawn criticism for the map she put up that placed Giffords' congressional district, among others, within crosshairs.

Beck said that Palin had gotten in touch with him first on Sunday night. He read what he had sent to her in reply.

"Sarah, as you know, peace is always the answer. I know you are feeling the same heat, if not much more on this. I want you to know you have my support. But please look into protection for your family. An attempt on you could bring the republic down," Beck wrote. "There are nutjobs on all sides...terror is terror. I don't care if it is for Allah or your party."

"I hate violence," Palin replied, according to Beck. "I hate war. Our children will not have peace if politicos just capitalize on this to succeed in portraying anyone as inciting terror and violence. Thanks for all you do to send the message of truth and love and God as the answer."

No more comment from me - Glenn Beck? I think not.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
To answer my own question about Sarah Palin (just so that gossip does not fill the air) this is what I found from Huffington Post:

“After the Katie Couric interview, Sarah Palin went into hiding for a few days, to then appear after clearly having practiced her response. This happened subsequent­ly a couple more times, like when she resigned.

We don't see much of her now because she is practicing her response, message, and delivery.”

Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin emailed each other about the shooting in Arizona, and Beck read some of their exchange on his Monday radio show. Beck told Palin he feared for her safety, and he condemned the shooting, which led to the deaths of six people and the wounding of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Both have been accused by some as having contributed to the political climate that may have indirectly led to the shooting. Palin, in particular, has drawn criticism for the map she put up that placed Giffords' congressional district, among others, within crosshairs.

Beck said that Palin had gotten in touch with him first on Sunday night. He read what he had sent to her in reply.

"Sarah, as you know, peace is always the answer. I know you are feeling the same heat, if not much more on this. I want you to know you have my support. But please look into protection for your family. An attempt on you could bring the republic down," Beck wrote. "There are nutjobs on all sides...terror is terror. I don't care if it is for Allah or your party."

"I hate violence," Palin replied, according to Beck. "I hate war. Our children will not have peace if politicos just capitalize on this to succeed in portraying anyone as inciting terror and violence. Thanks for all you do to send the message of truth and love and God as the answer."

No more comment from me - Glenn Beck? I think not.
I don't know whether to laugh or throw up
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:18 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you're right I do have a problem. I love him to death but his views and obsession with all this political stuff is driving a wedge between us. In truth I'm at a loss as to what to do. He used to be a funny, glass half full kinda guy, and at times I still see that person. But now this other person has emerged who is frustrated, obnoxious, negative, spiteful and generally angry at the world. The whole thing has worn me down to the point that I'm ready to walk away.
Oh that is sad, so sorry to hear this. The media has a lot to answer for with it's constant bombardment of negativity.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Agreed 100% , couldn't have put it any better. I think , to me, Americans seem much more easily swayed and "manipulated" by the media / government. Us Brits would say ' F that " to a lot of what gets said & written in the news here but Americans are more likely to be taken in by it.
I don't know enough about the USA to comment, but I do know a lot of Brits get taken in by the media too. Go online and look at The Daily Mail.

And while I do read some of their articles, I DO NOT read the news "stories", it's like they are talking about another country that I didn't see last year, SO MUCH doom and gloom.

I stopped watching the news or reading newspapers a long time ago. At the time I was into Dr Wayne Dyer and it was his recommendation that yes we should be aware of what is going on in the world but we do not need the constant bombardment to the senses and I agree. In my parents day I just remember the news on for half an hour every night, not this 24/7 stuff we get especially when there is a disaster of some kind.

My 15 year old grand-daughter was traumatised by all the Tsunami stuff a few years ago, and I mean she really had nightmares and everything, she was convinced they were all going to be swept away some day and that was because of the constant television coverage with graphic scenes, she is not allowed to watch things like this now.

beachgal21
, how you could stop somebody from feeding into this outside assault to the senses I don't know, maybe counselling would help as has been suggested and maybe they could persuade him to wean himself off the constant barrage of negativity.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I don't know enough about the USA to comment, but I do know a lot of Brits get taken in by the media too. Go online and look at The Daily Mail.

And while I do read some of their articles, I DO NOT read the news "stories", it's like they are talking about another country that I didn't see last year, SO MUCH doom and gloom.

I stopped watching the news or reading newspapers a long time ago. At the time I was into Dr Wayne Dyer and it was his recommendation that yes we should be aware of what is going on in the world but we do not need the constant bombardment to the senses and I agree. In my parents day I just remember the news on for half an hour every night, not this 24/7 stuff we get especially when there is a disaster of some kind.

My 15 year old grand-daughter was traumatised by all the Tsunami stuff a few years ago, and I mean she really had nightmares and everything, she was convinced they were all going to be swept away some day and that was because of the constant television coverage with graphic scenes, she is not allowed to watch things like this now.

beachgal21
, how you could stop somebody from feeding into this outside assault to the senses I don't know, maybe counselling would help as has been suggested and maybe they could persuade him to wean himself off the constant barrage of negativity.
Thank you Bee for your comments. I feel a bit like I've wallowed in self pity with all the posts I've written on here, but it has certainly helped me to get it all of my chest.

Like you I try to stay away from too much news. I watch the local news in the morning while I'm having my coffee, and I'll watch the BBC World News if I catch it on TV. Other than that I go to the BBC World News website to see whats going on.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, you're right I do have a problem. I love him to death but his views and obsession with all this political stuff is driving a wedge between us. In truth I'm at a loss as to what to do. He used to be a funny, glass half full kinda guy, and at times I still see that person. But now this other person has emerged who is frustrated, obnoxious, negative, spiteful and generally angry at the world. The whole thing has worn me down to the point that I'm ready to walk away.
I am sorry to hear how you are feeling, it sounds as if you have some very hard decisions to make.

Did you read recently about the research claiming that our political tendencies are built in to the way our brain works, interesting, and where in the USA people readily identify with political parties rather than it being a personal and private decision, the way I was brought up.

I hated having to choose which party on enrolling to vote in Florida.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
You don't have to.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Here in our little town they actually call out your party affiliation when you go to vote! The lady who checks your name in the book shouts 'DEMOCRAT' or 'REPUBLICAN'? I found it so weird the first time because everyone else can hear.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Here in our little town they actually call out your party affiliation when you go to vote! The lady who checks your name in the book shouts 'DEMOCRAT' or 'REPUBLICAN'? I found it so weird the first time because everyone else can hear.
So much for the old adage 'my politics is between me and my conscience'
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I dont think thats allowed is it..??? lol
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I dont think thats allowed is it..??? lol
If you declare a party affiliation, it's public record. Just one of many reasons I always "decline to state" when i register.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If you declare a party affiliation, it's public record. Just one of many reasons I always "decline to state" when i register.
I think to vote in a primary election in Florida you have to have a party affiliation. I know it's not the case in most states, but I'm almost certain it is in Florida. Of course, Florida has to be different - they don't know how to vote down there anyway - and they certainly don't know how to count votes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.