Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
ldyinlv, why was your insurance cancelled? Weren't you offered COBRA?

I live in fear of being thrown off my plan as I am self-employed and have no protection. In 2014, the new healthcare law protects me, but that's still 3 years away and I wouldn't put it past the insurance company to purge costly people prior to that deadline. I have had a lot of tests recently and it just scares me.
I am leaving on the 25th , by the time they get all of that organized I will be gone, as my insurance only stopped today. I just want out of here so I am gonna pay the $360.(probably really all it is worth) and gonna be done with it...I went to a pawn shop today and sold an old ring I had,,it has most of it covered....
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am leaving on the 25th , by the time they get all of that organized I will be gone, as my insurance only stopped today. I just want out of here so I am gonna pay the $360.(probably really all it is worth) and gonna be done with it...I went to a pawn shop today and sold an old ring I had,,it has most of it covered....
I wish it was OK to swear in public, because I sure want to do so just now.

The Pensions man was here today to interview me, and as he was leaving, he looked at me and said "We may have problems over here, but there is no one dying on the streets for want of Medical attention." Amen to that.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

This is just too awful having to sell jewellery for medical tests, in fact it is bl**dy disgusting in a country that "boasts" how great it is, the land of the free bah humbug.

Jackie no wonder you want to get home ASAP. Just think you will NEVER have to do this again, praise be to the National Health Service.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I wish it was OK to swear in public, because I sure want to do so just now.

The Pensions man was here today to interview me, and as he was leaving, he looked at me and said "We may have problems over here, but there is no one dying on the streets for want of Medical attention." Amen to that.
Sometimes it takes hard lessons to make us appreciate where we come from. I bought into the "America is the best Country in the World" for many years, but over the past several have come to realize that that is not so. .It is a wonderful country, but hard and cold at times...The best country in the world is the one you are comfortable in, the one that takes care of you..the best country in the world is the one that you love...not just words people throw around.....so I am going home..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:40 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
This is just too awful having to sell jewellery for medical tests, in fact it is bl**dy disgusting in a country that "boasts" how great it is, the land of the free bah humbug.
It really is outrageous. And any attempt to deal with it is greeted with hysteria.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It really is outrageous. And any attempt to deal with it is greeted with hysteria.
I am not having a go at America or Americans, but honestly this is 2011 the USA is supposed to be a "rich" nation and a citizen of that country has to sell jewellery to pay for medical treatment!!!!!!!!!!

That is just WRONG IMHO!!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not having a go at America or Americans, but honestly this is 2011 the USA is supposed to be a "rich" nation and a citizen of that country has to sell jewellery to pay for medical treatment!!!!!!!!!!

Dont feel bad for me..my main concern is that the Cancer is gone...fingers crossed ..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont feel bad for me..my main concern is that the Cancer is gone...fingers crossed ..
I think we all want you to be cancer free, but we also don't want you to have to sell your stuff to pay for the last piece of the treatment. It is so darn wrong. I personally can't wait until everyone who wants to be here, is here. I am hoping someone comes down this way so that I can go and be the Welcome Wagon for them.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I think we all want you to be cancer free, but we also don't want you to have to sell your stuff to pay for the last piece of the treatment. It is so darn wrong. I personally can't wait until everyone who wants to be here, is here. I am hoping someone comes down this way so that I can go and be the Welcome Wagon for them.
Thank you, I appreciate your concern, and it is a sad state of affairs here..I just feel lucky that I had insurance for the big stuff..that bill was about 75.000.00 dollars..crazy huh?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:04 pm
Home Sweet Home

Well!!!!

I hope and pray you are cancer free too Jackie.

I honestly have learnt more about the USA than I ever did before. So what happens if you can't afford medical insurance? Do you have to go to some charity hospital? It's like something from Charles Dickens!

I am so lucky living here in Australia, health care has never been an issue for me or my family and my daughter has had extensive major surgery over the years.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well!!!!

I honestly have learnt more about the USA than I ever did before. So what happens if you can't afford medical insurance? Do you have to go to some charity hospital? It's like something from Charles Dickens!

I am so lucky living here in Australia, health care has never been an issue for me or my family and my daughter has had extensive major surgery over the years.
Thanks Bee..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Did I hear a quote that the US has the best health care in the world?

Washington passed a healthcare bill and it was signed by the President but now that Congress is back and a different party is in they want to cancel the law?

To be honest (I hope I always am) I don't know if the government is rich enough to pay for peoples medical bills but maybe thats not what they are trying to do.

Cheers
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

USA Medical care:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_..._United_States

http://www.rapidimmigration.com/1_en...g_medical.html

Government Sponsored Health Care Programs

In general, this is only available to the elderly or the disabled. If a person is disabled and unable to work, or is over age 65, they will qualify for Medicare. The poor may obtain coverage through Medicaid (Medical in California), which is federally mandated but is administered jointly with the individual states.

Clinics

Some of the larger teaching hospitals and county hospitals will have clinics that provide health care at a reduced rate. Some rural areas will also have health clinics that provide immunizations for families who cannot afford private care, or who don't have insurance. Clinics may be general care, family practice practices with primary care physicians, or specialty clinics (such as cardiology, endocrinology, or prenatal care clinics). Often interns and residents will do a rotation through a clinic for several months, and are supervised by attending doctors with experience.

Dental and eye care clinics may also be affiliated with teaching hospitals and medical/dental schools in many cities, and can a more affordable method of obtaining dental and eye care for the person who does not have insurance, or whose insurance does not cover these services.

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/healthcare/whatswrong/

Happy reading! (tongue in cheek).
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I had to pawn all my gold jewelry a few months ago to survive unemployment. Thankfully, I have a job now. Absolutely disgraceful. The last 10 years in this place gradually ate away at my savings - combined with unemployment of course.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well!!!!

No they just give you bare minimum treatment to get you out the door, and then no one wants to book you a follow up visit cause you don't have an insurance card number to give them. If you live in a big city I hear there are a few free health clinics but they are so busy, they staff in those places are over worked and deserve medals.
If you can get treatment and prove hardship hospitals will give discounts on your care, but a lot of the time the bill goes to collections and then the phone calls start trying to collect the money.
There was video on Michael Moore Sicko Documentary of hospitals dumping sick indigent patients on Skid row.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.