Too scared to live in England.

Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too scared to live in England.

I have lived in London, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and now Derbyshire and have never experienced any problems.

I have also brought up two boys into adulthood again with no problems.

Don't fall for the bullshit peddled by Murdoch and the tory press (Daily Mail).....they play up bad news for political purposes....

.....don't forget, the Daily Mail supported Hitler.

G
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hudd
Bramblebush

I lived in a numbers of areas in the UK including West London, Hampshire, Surrey, Oxfordshire, Essex, Kent and always Suffolk was my wife and I favourite place we have lived.

Enclosed a link about Stowmarket which I would say there some nice villages around this town.

hudd

http://www.upmystreet.com/l/stowmarket.html
Brilliant, thank you
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
.....don't forget, the Daily Mail supported Hitler.

G
I will be quoting that one regularly, thanks
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:49 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am unfortunate to live in an area where I don't feel safe at all.

Mr PP and I are too scared to cross the bridge at night, we keep our door locked and chained when we are in the flat and avoid the phonebox where the teenagers that are invariably flashing knives, were only little ones when we first moved here.

The place has changed so much in the ten years that we have lived here and those changes have crept up on us really.

The housing association have built lots of new properties, the children that grew up in those properties are now intimidating teens and there is always a police car or two on that estate.

If we were not emigrating in March, we would have moved long ago. Our visa has taken so long we just kept hanging on and staying put.

It is quite alarming when I look back on how things have deteriorated and how some areas are 'no go' so to speak.

However, drive ten or twenty miles in the other direction and you could have gone back in time to some lovely country villages.

There are good and bad places everywhere - you just have to find them and when you find your 'home', you hope that any changes that occur in the area are for the better.

That goes for any country but I reckon I am getting old because I refer to how it was twenty years ago when I really did feel 'safe' and didn't need to take the measures to protect against my personal safety that I do now.

The good old days......
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
With all due respect

I can't relate to that feeling for several reasons.

I would be going back from a large Canadian city, with much the same problems as london.

In the last 2 years, out of all my family, friends and, business associates in the UK, not one has mentioned being affected by serious crime. Bear in mind I speak to the UK all day on the phone for business and speak to family and friends almost every day. I also go back to visit 4 times a year.

I grew up in London, lived there all my life it's my home and get sick of people slagging it off all the time. It's a city of 10 million, of course there will be crime, it isn't utopia. For it's size and importance it's incredibly safe.

I realise that the UK media blow everything out of all proportion, the risk of crossing the road is far greater than being killed by a terrorist.

That said, it's a tough decision

Best of luck with it

Jonathan
I could not agree more with this comment - I also grew up in London (albeit on the edge of greater London/Surrey) and have so far managed to avoid being murdered or stabbed (along with everyone I know)! I think most crime in Britain is "petty" crime (theft etc. which is a UK-wide issue). London is certainly no San Salvador City in any case!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am unfortunate to live in an area where I don't feel safe at all.

Mr PP and I are too scared to cross the bridge at night, we keep our door locked and chained when we are in the flat and avoid the phonebox where the teenagers that are invariably flashing knives, were only little ones when we first moved here.

The place has changed so much in the ten years that we have lived here and those changes have crept up on us really.

The housing association have built lots of new properties, the children that grew up in those properties are now intimidating teens and there is always a police car or two on that estate.

If we were not emigrating in March, we would have moved long ago. Our visa has taken so long we just kept hanging on and staying put.

It is quite alarming when I look back on how things have deteriorated and how some areas are 'no go' so to speak.

However, drive ten or twenty miles in the other direction and you could have gone back in time to some lovely country villages.

There are good and bad places everywhere - you just have to find them and when you find your 'home', you hope that any changes that occur in the area are for the better.

That goes for any country but I reckon I am getting old because I refer to how it was twenty years ago when I really did feel 'safe' and didn't need to take the measures to protect against my personal safety that I do now.

The good old days......
Oh dear it must be awful to live in such fear, where about in the UK are you
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:51 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

The good old days......
Totally agree with you PP. I live in a village between Manchester and Liverpool. Where we are I feel totally safe - it's a lovely village out in the farming areas, very quite, no crime, no trouble etc. Everyone knows everyone else and a real community feel to the place. There are other places though within a 10 mile radius where I just wouldn't want to live. We felt the same in Oz - there are some places where you feel safe, others where you just don't venture after dark

To anyone thinking of returning - please don't let the silly tabloid press cloud your judgement. The UK is a country like all others - it has good areas and bad areas. Safe areas and unsafe areas. Many people who judge the "UK" to be bad have lived in one area which was bad for them. I'm sick to death of hearing people who have only ever lived in one place where they don't like talk as if the whole of the UK is like that. They have lived in one crime ridden area so reckon the rest of the country is the same

Try to keep things in perspective - you are not moving to Beirut, Afghanistan or Iraq although some people would let you think you were. And the chances of you being a victim of crime anywhere are remote.

You simply cannot wrap yourself in cotton wool. Stop worrying, live your life and have fun wherever that may be. There is somewhere perfect in the world for everyone so find your little piece of paradise and enjoy it - life's too short not to
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Some people believe that the Maldives aka the Falklands are actually Argentinian Territory and not an extension of the U.K.
Made my day that one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:10 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey BB

If I were you and could pop backwards and forwards so much, I would be spending a lot of time doing rekkies on areas that I fancied living.Once you find a place you really like then you won't feel so frightened about going back.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:27 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Some people believe that the Maldives aka the Falklands are actually Argentinian Territory and not an extension of the U.K.
Some people may think the country of Argentina belongs to the native indians that inhabited the area untill the desease ridden europeans arrived . PS .malvinas
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:30 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
BE post of the year so far.
Agree .pure class ,he gets a D- and gets to wear the dunces cap for a year .
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Many people who judge the "UK" to be bad have lived in one area which was bad for them. I'm sick to death of hearing people who have only ever lived in one place where they don't like talk as if the whole of the UK is like that. They have lived in one crime ridden area so reckon the rest of the country is the same
:
All of the people that I know who judge the UK haven't even seen any crime let alone been affected by it personally
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:15 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest who thinks the UK is scary try Northbridge in Perth, probably the most dangerous place on earth after midnight, and I aint joking
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the north of England (Lancashire) and the south of England (Hampshire) and never seen any violence or felt threatened.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:06 pm
Hello Dave..

Davey Dan Oli is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had to post, this was just too funny not. I wonder if anyone had booked a holiday to go to the Falklands and ended up in the Indian Ocean. It reminds me of the British couple a few years ago who though they were buying cheap tickets to Sydney, Australia and ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

What I don't understand is how come a guy who is supposedly so happy with living in Canada likes to come on and slag the UK off. If his life is so great why troll this site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.