The Ten Quid Pom Returns

Old Apr 14th 2013, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Ten Quid Pom Returns

ecky thump n' ee by gum...

40 days before "THE RETURN" and I'm cruisin along quite nicely.

Officially retired 2 days ago (tho there's folks who would say I "retired" a flamin' long time ago) so smilin' from ear to ear...

Everything is paid for, sold or given away most of my wordly possessions, reduced the 'keepers" to what will fit in a suitcase...

All good... except the missus got up this mornin and decided to have a "clear out".....Result?

I am now hiding in the garage, typing this as quietly as possible...
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:03 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
ecky thump n' ee by gum...

40 days before "THE RETURN" and I'm cruisin along quite nicely.

Officially retired 2 days ago (tho there's folks who would say I "retired" a flamin' long time ago) so smilin' from ear to ear...

Everything is paid for, sold or given away most of my wordly possessions, reduced the 'keepers" to what will fit in a suitcase...

All good... except the missus got up this mornin and decided to have a "clear out".....Result?

I am now hiding in the garage, typing this as quietly as possible...
That's brilliant news! Congratulations Eee thee must be reet proud?

Just make sure you haven't got a For Sale sign on your back

Hoping those 40 days fly past for you ! Where are you heading??
Old Apr 14th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
That's brilliant news! Congratulations Eee thee must be reet proud?

Just make sure you haven't got a For Sale sign on your back

Hoping those 40 days fly past for you ! Where are you heading??
Hope you make it on that plane with the missus Good luck to you
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

ecky thump and crikey......

it only seems like yesterday (March 2012) that I started giving serious thought to moving back to the UK.

Yesterday, I put my retirement papers in and will cease to attend the workplace on the 12th of April.

Flying out Etihad on the 24th May (can I claim a refund of me ten quid from 1969). I will set foot on UK soil for the first time in 44 years on the 25th.

House is sold, car and bike to be sold along with what few possessions I have not already given away or gifted to others.

My first stop will be in that sub-tropical oasis with swaying palm trees and sandy beaches. Yes that's right, Lancashire.

Or maybe, I'm holding the atlas the wrong way up.

Doesn't matter I shall sally forth with a stiff upper lip and a song in my heart.

As for now, I'm packing me socks and the missus is packin' the brits (yes that's rhyming slang) either way I am looking forward to a truly excellant adventure.
Good Luck, we returned to the North West after just over 12 years spent in Aus, I wanted to see more of Lancashire when we returned home, I love Lytham and the coastline along that way and also the smaller Towns (non mill towns) and villages, it has been adventure. We are currently in Derbyshire (Dark Peak area) one of our Fav. pubs is the Hare & Hounds in Werneth Low (spectacular views) you might know it being originally from Gee Cross and The Midland Pub in Marple Bridge (lovely parks in that area as well). We really enjoy the fact that we are in open countryside (where we live at the moment) but about a 45 min drive into either Manchester or Sheffield for shopping. A lot of things have changed for the better since we left and other things have either stayed the same or not but we enjoy being home. All the best
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

I also was a Ten Pound Pom many years ago. At the time my friend and I were given a choice, either go by plane or cruise ship. Of course we chose a cruise ship which included free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Plus duty free booze. It was a wonderful experience. At that time the regulation was that you had to stay for at least two years. If you returned within the two years you had to pay back the full fare out. Anyway, I enjoyed working and travelling around Australia. It was more like a working holiday for me. I returned to England overland. But I did miss Australia. I have fond memories of the places I stayed and the people I met. Of course there were a few ups and downs. Anyway, good luck with your return to Blighty. No doubt you will notice many changes.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:03 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

If you had asked my Mum and Dad before they passed away about being a 10 pound pom the reaction would have been hilarious. They lived in Australia and one time someone actually got into an argument with them and said they were 10 pound poms and went over to Australia with the rest of the convicts that the UK didn't want.

Well.......my Mum (bless her little cotton socks) stood up and told this person in no uncertain terms that they'd CHOSEN to go to Australia and paid the full fare themselves. They'd also gone to Australia via cruise ship, but they'd chosen which ship and to where.. lol She also reminded the person that THEY were related to some of those 10 pound poms. This person then got upset and yelled ' I AM AUSTRALIAN', to which my Mum replied "Sure you might be, but what about your parents, grandparents. There's no such thing as a true Australian because you're all descended from the Brits who came over" LOL So if you're calling ME a convict, what does that make YOU !

Apparently the look on his face was priceless !
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

Of course POM means Prisoner Of her Majesty. When I was there I was sometimes referred to as a Pom. Usually without malice. But, if one was talking about someone and asked where he or she was from, people would often say: Ah, he's/she's a pommie.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Barrybriggs
Of course POM means Prisoner Of her Majesty. When I was there I was sometimes referred to as a Pom. Usually without malice. But, if one was talking about someone and asked where he or she was from, people would often say: Ah, he's/she's a pommie.
Actually it should be POME and actually means Prisoner Of Mother England. But both descriptions work. LOL
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Actually it should be POME and actually means Prisoner Of Mother England. But both descriptions work. LOL
So I'm not so much a ten quid pom returning as a parolee..

After 44 flamin' years it musta been a flippin' big loaf of bread..
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm not so much a ten quid pom returning as a parolee..

After 44 flamin' years it musta been a flippin' big loaf of bread..
LOL you get less time for murder these days! I only served 32 years and got released on good behaviour! Your count down will go so fast!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL you get less time for murder these days! I only served 32 years and got released on good behaviour! Your count down will go so fast!
Then I must have served 28 years!
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Righto, at the 22 day mark and just sold "the ute" (aussie talk for my motor vehicle) all that's left to sell is "the mistress" (ditto: motorcycle) and I'm orf, got everything down to the suitcase I'm carrying and four (that's right four) tea chest size cardboard boxes which can be freighted later.

Only hiccup has been hiring a car for the first coupla weeks as I only have a debit card and not a credit card (never had one) but I can sort that by simply buying a car first up..

Crikee, time ta sit back with a wine and count the days..
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Righto, at the 22 day mark and just sold "the ute" (aussie talk for my motor vehicle) all that's left to sell is "the mistress" (ditto: motorcycle) and I'm orf, got everything down to the suitcase I'm carrying and four (that's right four) tea chest size cardboard boxes which can be freighted later.

Only hiccup has been hiring a car for the first coupla weeks as I only have a debit card and not a credit card (never had one) but I can sort that by simply buying a car first up..

Sounds like your cruising along, good luck and enjoy the wine
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to reading more about your adventures. The length of time you have been away, your humour and your tentaive planning should prove interesting reading. Good luck with everything.
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:31 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Here ya go, have one on me ! Well done, and only 22 days to go, or is it 21 already? Some car companies don't mind if you have a debit card and there are places where you can pay about £60 for a years membership and go pick a car up from one of their locations and get a cheap day or week rate. No questions asked..you just register your drivers license and your debit card and off you go. Or, like you said - you can always buy a car the minute you get off the plane. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.