Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What are the chances of actually making it alive through the next year in the UK?
Just make sure you avoid those poo trees
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Just make sure you avoid those poo trees

One thing that actually concerns me about moving back is an apparent rise in xenophobia. I would be happy to live in a cheaper area, except I don't want to live next door to a ****wit with the house covered in flags of St George.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that actually concerns me about moving back is an apparent rise in xenophobia. I would be happy to live in a cheaper area, except I don't want to live next door to a ****wit with the house covered in flags of St George.
I don't mind the flags per se, but I do find the anti-immigrant sentiment very troubling. Blaming immigrants for the UK's ills is largely just finding a convenient scapegoat.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 22nd 2013 at 4:56 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally dont see any rise in xenophobia to be honest, some blame immigrants for everything but they are a small minority and not something to be worried about. I must admit I do want to put a Union Flag on a pole in the garden
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I personally dont see any rise in xenophobia to be honest, some blame immigrants for everything but they are a small minority and not something to be worried about. I must admit I do want to put a Union Flag on a pole in the garden
I hope you're right, and that I'm getting a filter via tabloids, some parts of BE, and excitable relatives.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I do want to put a Union Flag on a pole in the garden
What has the Polish person done to deserve that?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
YOU are the one who talked about Australia, and how they always play up Australia. It was a response to what you said.
...........I could dissect this and explain why your statement is twaddle, but on the basis of 'so little time, so much to denigrate'? Let's not waste the time eh?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't mind the flags per se, but I do find the anti-immigrant sentiment very troubling. Blaming immigrants for the UK's ills is largely just finding a convenient scapegoat.
Me too. This is a global sport. It is all the fault of the 'illegals', who ALL get mansions and cars. I know this for a fact, because my long lost brother told me.

I do. The UK as with so many nations is racist. As humans we have a huge problem with admitting to it, yet as a human race we have always distrusted other races/cultures and even hated them. And worse.

It doesn't bother me much. I have a foot in both skin colour camps, but personally I can't stand human beings regardless of colour or creed, so I don't give a Gnu's gonad's what they think of me!

Having said that, if I see anyone being bullied on this;-and I did, I intervene. Very strongly.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
...........I could dissect this and explain why your statement is twaddle, but on the basis of 'so little time, so much to denigrate'? Let's not waste the time eh?
What I said was accurate - it was a reply to something you brought into the thread.
The UK as with so many nations is racist.
Not sure how a country can be racist. People in a country can be racist; policy made by people of a country can be racist. Or are you suggesting everyone in the UK is racist?
I have a foot in both skin colour camps
"Both" skin colour camps? Are you saying there are only two skin colours in the world?
but personally I can't stand human beings regardless of colour or creed, so I don't give a Gnu's gonad's what they think of me!
Interesting statement.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the poo trees that people like to poke fun at, racism exists in the UK. Just because someone doesn't see it in their daily lives (just like they may not ever see poo trees, or litter, or lazy chavs) doesn't mean it isn't there.

But also like the poo trees, and litter, lazy chavs, etc., racism probably isn't as bad as you might think from reading about it in the Daily Mail.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:11 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I never flew a flag back in the UK, but I do here. I don't know whether I would if I went back. Its a shame that at a time when everyone seems to be talking about restoring national pride and confidence, that one of the most obvious symbols of the country appears to have been hijacked by an extreme minority.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:16 pm
Banned

We see quite a lot of flags being flown on poles outside houses, not football flags hanging out of bedroom windows but being flown properly outside very respecable looking houses
Having said that I have lost count of how many times I have heard people on forums tell us how it is illegal to fly the flag and how disgusting it is.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

People fly the US flag outside their houses here all the time and nobody gives it a second thought. It makes no sense that there is a stigma about it in the UK. WGAF if a (relatively small) bunch of inept twunts have adopted the Flag of St. George, or the Union Flag for whatever wanky 'cause' they follow. There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from - so true, proud Brits should fly their flags and **** what the Daily Mail and/or the PC brigade want to say.

Unless you support the UKIP, then you're a cucking funt, obviously.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
People fly the US flag outside their houses here all the time and nobody gives it a second thought. It makes no sense that there is a stigma about it in the UK. WGAF if a (relatively small) bunch of inept twunts have adopted the Flag of St. George, or the Union Flag for whatever wanky 'cause' they follow. There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from - so true, proud Brits should fly their flags and **** what the Daily Mail and/or the PC brigade want to say.

Unless you support the UKIP, then you're a cucking funt, obviously.
Theres no real stigma, just nonsense whipped up by the Daily Mail. A tiny minority maybe consider it imflammatory or something equally stupid but the majority have no issue with it.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no real stigma, just nonsense whipped up by the Daily Mail. A tiny minority maybe consider it imflammatory or something equally stupid but the majority have no issue with it.
When are people going to stop treating that rag as anything other than really bad bog roll?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you're right, and that I'm getting a filter via tabloids, some parts of BE, and excitable relatives.
Let me reassure you that life back in the old country continues to be as civilised as you make it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.