Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Zen10
Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood, (Oxford, LSE, Harvard Business School) says 20 years.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/economy/539...r-20-years-fix

And this is a government man whose job is to soft-soap the public and get the government re-elected.
That is one mans opinion and he is talking about the time to fix the economy not that it will be bleak for 20 years. For us and almost everyone we know it isnt bleak now, sorry if that offends some people.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:15 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
That is one mans opinion and he is talking about the time to fix the economy not that it will be bleak for 20 years. For us and almost everyone we know it isnt bleak now, sorry if that offends some people.
It can hardly offend me; I want to move back. I'm just not having any bullshit.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Fair do's! Zen10, I hope you achieve your ambition. Are you weighing up the for and against evidence as to whether it would be a wise move?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

OECD education table...

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/46643496.pdf
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:39 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
It can hardly offend me; I want to move back. I'm just not having any bullshit.
I wasnt referring to you necessarily Zen.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

Now you've lost me, and I'm a teacher!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yes, there are economic issues in other countries as well - although that wasn't the only issue brought up in the article. You seem to have missed the real point which is that so many Brits are contemplating emigration as an escape from the various problems. I don't see articles claiming that a similar number of Americans and Australians are so unhappy with their country that they want to leave.
Nothing new though. The British have always emigrated or talked about wanting to emigrate. Look at the article you linked to; Adelaide was established in the 1830s as a more perfect Britain, because of the failings of the actual Britain. Closer to our time, after WWII millions left for South Africa, Kenya, Canada, Australia, US etc.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by robin1234
Nothing new though. The British have always emigrated or talked about wanting to emigrate. Look at the article you linked to; Adelaide was established in the 1830s as a more perfect Britain, because of the failings of the actual Britain. Closer to our time, after WWII millions left for South Africa, Kenya, Canada, Australia, US etc.
That's why English is spoken so widely of course...but ironically not in GB, since many of the natives struggle with it. I'm thinking of all those massacred tenses...which fills me with a dreadful feeling at the thought of hearing that again.

Last edited by Caruthers; Jul 20th 2013 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Now you've lost me, and I'm a teacher!
Hope this helps...............

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...cience-reading
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:18 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Fair do's! Zen10, I hope you achieve your ambition. Are you weighing up the for and against evidence as to whether it would be a wise move?
My view is that by most measures, a logical conclusion is that Australia is better. It's got more money, way better childcare, shorter waiting lists for things, quieter roads and less traffic, a more cheerful population, and slightly - slightly - better value housing. However, family is family, and I don't want my kids to grow up never knowing their grandparents. Tough stuff. There are other benefits to Britain, and my general argument has always been that with the exception of the inflated housing situation, both countries are great places to live and we should all be grateful we have the option of either.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
This really gave me a good laugh! Thanks for putting it up.

It goes on doesn't it? We all put up links (I don't. Pointless exercise ), to promote our own pov.

Well OK-let's look at this offering: a 2012 'study' that indeed could be relevant right up to the present. I read it + all 42 comments-did you read those MnN?

Usual stuff: 'it's the pit's/migrant/Empires fault/it's the best/don't go to Canada/don't go to America/don't go to Australia...that one from an Aussie!...yada yada yada. Usual stuff.

And your point is MnN? People moan-I have found some of the worst whiny little gits here-but they never do a damn thing to change things.
The British moan-but believe it or not, no more than other nations.

Studies: these fact finding studies are about as useful as the mams on a bovine. Reliable NOT.
What I laughed about was Adelaide being put up as a rationale.

I've lived here 36 years. Good points/bad points. I need to check again, wuz this a UK study?

What a plonker!! If this 'researcher' knew anything about Australia he would have known something blatant about this society.

The 'Britishness' of Adders? Two things:

I cannot speak for the US or Canada, but I know the British either like/tolerate/...or worse, other races or cultures.
Australia does not. Friend or foe, any damn fool who has lived here for longer than a few months knows something full well; the 'ticket in' is to become 'an Aussie' and quick.
The 'FIFO' car stickers are not everywhere, but you do see them. You know "Fit in or...."?

One of the best ways to do it is to denigrate the UK pretty much as soon as you arrive. Many do that,-after all they have 'got out' of Britain haven't they? It is fed and encouraged by the media constantly.
'You're a good Aussie, mate'.

'Britishness'-strewth matey! Fair suck of the sav,-we don't need that here!

The second thing is that Austalia is only the Eastern States-didn't you know that? Didn't that 'researcher'?

Perth in particular is rubbished-Adelaide is constantly ridiculed (even by visiting British comedians who mostly have their shows in Melbourne and Sydney. They know what to say-and it's usually directed at Adelaide; to 'get' their audience), Tasmania is laughed at-jokes being made about 'inbreeding', and the NT is largely ignored.

What's my point?

How on earth can this rubbish be believed when the author/s of this 'research' didn't even know the most elementary facts?

Why didn't they balance it with the fact-FACT, that increasing numbers of UK migrants are returning to that dreadful cesspit; the UK.....permanently, not ping pong.

Go ahead; put up your links, but the reality is that we all have a shot at something better (including refugees..........), and we all 'know' that what we left behind was worse. Don't we?

....and that includes those returning to Britain.

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Jul 21st 2013 at 4:50 am. Reason: sp
Old Jul 21st 2013, 5:14 am
Banned

Why dont we have a like feature on this forum? What a brilliant post.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The comments on that article are priceless! Some are completely indecipherable!
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
Why dont we have a like feature on this forum? What a brilliant post.
Thanks Chris, but there's really no need to praise me like this.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

For the OP a link to a site that compares world health rankings. One of the best I've seen.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/w...ealth-rankings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.