Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:10 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Originally Posted by jmh
Yes I find that interesting too. I am doing it in reverse. I am a kiwi, left and moved to the UK at 23, now at 48 'going home'. I have had a good life in the UK, but always had in the back of my mind the idea of going home. I am a bit nervous in case I get there and decide I hate it! LOL. I am renting out my house so if I change my mind I can come back. In my mind I will be giving it a year's trial to see how I feel. Feel's good at this early stage to be going home. I hope it works out but I can come back if it doesn't. Don't want to become a ping ponger though.
yes, we moved back to australia "permanently" after being in london for almost 8 yrs...my dh was born there, but grew up in australia from mid childhood, and bth my kids were born in london.
we got fixated on moving back and i was so sure i would never want to to come back that i didnt even bother t get my citizenship before leaving
when we got back, you have the euphoria etc, but it gradually wears off...and i realised that australia wasnt all i had been giving it credit for all those years...
so we joked as we were returning, "what if we get back and don't like the gold coast..the only other place we'll want to live is sydney" (we've lived both of these places before) so we get back, spend a year on the gold coast, it was fine, but not what we were after , and then down to sydney, which is awesome, but we find ourselves heading back to the uk in march, for an indeterminate period of time, to live a cheaper life and go on an adventure..we don't really know where we belong now...
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have less than 9 weeks to go and am getting cold feet BIG TIME!!!

I haven't sold a single thing yet, and keep getting overwhelmed at the thought of "losing" everything I have..........I will have to start again like a lot of you with very little, not an easy thing to do at 57, but like all of us on this bit of BE we are going HOME and that is what this journey is all about.
Aw Bee, we are all behind you and hoping it goes well. I too will be doing the same in 2011.....stay strong and stay there when you get there cos I want to meet for coffee......59 here and starting over with nothing......except a loving family....

Ayla i am from Leicester, cant wait to get back.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Ayala123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Aw Bee, we are all behind you and hoping it goes well. I too will be doing the same in 2011.....stay strong and stay there when you get there cos I want to meet for coffee......59 here and starting over with nothing......except a loving family....

Charley - no offence meant to your home town :-) - it is possible that spending 3 years in a council house in B.Leys while I did my nurse training may have skewed my impression slightly ;-) Being forced to flee because some neighbours there didn't like me (they had burned down the house of the last people they didn't like, starting with the kids beds) sort of scared the living daylights out of me and left me with a negative impression. Then when we moved and bought a lovely place in a nice new housing development - also in North Leicester but slightly out of town - some of our neighbours weren't much better - their older kids put sticks into the spokes of my kids bikes when they cycled past, and regularly threatened to chop my 6 yr old son into little pieces...and the parents just swore at us when we went to speak to them about it... It was all like something you would read in the Daily Mail!
I guess though, if I had been from Leicester originally I would have known to avoid those areas :-)
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chocciecake
don't worry, you're not the only one!
you know, we might be the only ones we know who didn't make money in the property boom,(infact, as still stuck in negative equity with a flat we can't sell in london, for less that we bought it in 2003) who doesn't have their own house or a brass razoo to rub together really, but you know what...we have had an extraordinary life, even though financially we have no status, and i would much prefer that to being one of my friends that have their boring housing in a boring suburb, paid off by their boring job,and their boring spouse, and living their boring life out in the same boring place till they die.
at least we have taken risks, seen things that they have not seen, and pursued things they have never even imagined...you only have one life!
Thanks for this ,we are in a very similar situation ,and we are of a similar mind-set

Good -luck !
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

you know, we might be the only ones we know who didn't make money in the property boom,(infact, as still stuck in negative equity with a flat we can't sell in london, for less that we bought it in 2003) who doesn't have their own house or a brass razoo to rub together really, but you know what...we have had an extraordinary life, even though financially we have no status, and i would much prefer that to being one of my friends that have their boring housing in a boring suburb, paid off by their boring job,and their boring spouse, and living their boring life out in the same boring place till they die.
at least we have taken risks, seen things that they have not seen, and pursued things they have never even imagined...you only have one life!
very well said, I often wonder have I missed out since everyone i know around my age (32) has a kis or 2 settled , married , house and im still moving around and un-attatched but yes i have deffinatly seen and experienced more than most be it good and bad..
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Ayala123 is an unknown quantity at this point

So very true! Life is for living and experiencing :-)
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

I plan on going home this year but am starting to get a bit worried, my situation here is awful , money wise and sad since i once made good money and squandered it all now I am a waitress...so I am worried I will not have enough to have a place to live when i get there for a few months while i tie down a proper job.. Also I have a lot of friends in the UK that gripe about the gangs and the kids and the crazyness and all want to come to America, it worries me and makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing.. Then I have to remember they only think of the U.S as what they see on t.v I have lived here for 20 years and everywhere has its issues.. i dont know just woke up a bit worried for the future today i think new years does that to you...
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
I plan on going home this year but am starting to get a bit worried, my situation here is awful , money wise and sad since i once made good money and squandered it all now I am a waitress...so I am worried I will not have enough to have a place to live when i get there for a few months while i tie down a proper job.. Also I have a lot of friends in the UK that gripe about the gangs and the kids and the crazyness and all want to come to America, it worries me and makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing.. Then I have to remember they only think of the U.S as what they see on t.v I have lived here for 20 years and everywhere has its issues.. i dont know just woke up a bit worried for the future today i think new years does that to you...
Hayley

We all have our ups and downs mentally worrying etc, that's normal.

Don't take much notice of your friends as regards living in America, you know what its really like, unless they have lived in America they haven't a clue what its like here, I don't think you can compare the two, look at all the guns and gang shootings.

There are good and places to live in both countries, you just have to avoid the bad places, your friends will tell where they are.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hayley

Don't take much notice of your friends as regards living in America, you know what its really like, unless they have lived in America they haven't a clue what its like here, I don't think you can compare the two, look at all the guns and gang shootings.

There are good and places to live in both countries, you just have to avoid the bad places, your friends will tell where they are.
thanks and you are very right... some parts of South Florida are just awful and here where I am now in S.C.. think i just have a case of the cold feet and every little thing makes me iffy, i know i will feel better once things are a little more set..
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:58 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
Also I have a lot of friends in the UK that gripe about the gangs and the kids and the crazyness and all want to come to America
People in the UK are expert gripers. It's what they do best of all
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

very true, at least maybe i have a little less of that being in the states since i was 12... haha one trait i could do without..
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Sally is right, and DON'T read the Daily Mail LOL!!

Look at your family over there, how are they all doing? None of mine are rich but they are all working and all seem to be doing just fine........just as you (and I) will, it might be a bit of a push at the beginning but we will get there.

I have been having terrible cold feet this past week and I am leaving 8 weeks from tomorrow!!

See and as I typed that word "leaving" I got palpitations, because now this is not a dream it is REALITY!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

yes, we moved back to australia "permanently" after being in london for almost 8 yrs...my dh was born there, but grew up in australia from mid childhood, and bth my kids were born in london.
we got fixated on moving back and i was so sure i would never want to to come back that i didnt even bother t get my citizenship before leaving
when we got back, you have the euphoria etc, but it gradually wears off...and i realised that australia wasnt all i had been giving it credit for all those years...
so we joked as we were returning, "what if we get back and don't like the gold coast..the only other place we'll want to live is sydney" (we've lived both of these places before) so we get back, spend a year on the gold coast, it was fine, but not what we were after , and then down to sydney, which is awesome, but we find ourselves heading back to the uk in march, for an indeterminate period of time, to live a cheaper life and go on an adventure..we don't really know where we belong now...
Hi Chocciecake (great name BTW )

It's not very often you see Australians in this part of the forum. I just wondered what it is about Australia that is not doing it for you? I have seen somewhere that your husband is getting paid in sterling so that is obviously working against you at the moment with the exchange rate, anything else other than the cost of living? How do your families feel about you both heading back to the old dart?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl

Wow CG, didn't realise you had made a final decision to go back in 2011. Have you made any plans as such or is this all just tentative at the moment?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hayley

So true, Fish, so true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.