Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all
Default Re: Scared of Making Wrong Decision

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I wasn't saying it as you Mrs G. others who aren't in UK or who are just trying to get a rise out of people. Like Sally says.
Dunroving is in UK too and manages to be very balanced and helpful even though he has a desire to move back to the US, and if thats his desire who are we to squash that, we don't pick on him and tell him he's wrong for wanting that. We wish him well.
hi "mummy in the foothills" hope u had a nice crimbo and new years...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:25 am
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future

I am 20 and supposedly moving to the Caribbean in March, but more than anything I want to go HOME. I'll be 21 in June and I've lived overseas since I was 13. All I want is to be in London, walking the streets of Hammersmith where I grew up and Reigate where my parents live. March 2012 I've decided. I'm going home.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Milana_Rosemont
I am 20 and supposedly moving to the Caribbean in March, but more than anything I want to go HOME. I'll be 21 in June and I've lived overseas since I was 13. All I want is to be in London, walking the streets of Hammersmith where I grew up and Reigate where my parents live. March 2012 I've decided. I'm going home.
Good for you

You make it work lol !
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
hi "mummy in the foothills" hope u had a nice crimbo and new years...
It was very quiet but nice, hope you had fun.
One more to go for us
You go girl We'll be right behind you I'm hoping in the summer 2012
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:29 am
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You go girl We'll be right behind you I'm hoping in the summer 2012
Thanks so much, I can't wait. No place like home, as they say. My parents aren't at all pleased with me but it's my decision lol. Woot! 14 months left...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:34 am
Banned

wonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nice

Thanks so much, I can't wait. No place like home, as they say. My parents aren't at all pleased with me but it's my decision lol. Woot! 14 months left...
I have debated it myself on and off, mainly as it is just my son and I here, but I know for children here is safer and better, hence tough decision.

I lived in Reigate and went to school there, and I loved London living near hammersmith and spending many a day around that area when I lived in London for 4 yrs and when ever I went back to visit. So I hear you on missing it all.

I would not move back there mind. My folks live a bit higher up than that, 3 hrs away, so I'd move to that area (IF I ever do), plus London is not a place to raise a family.

I still love it here and know I will miss here greatly if I did move back.. so I am not making that move or doing anything hasty just yet, but not completely ruling it out in the future either though I keep returning to the decision of I am never leaving Canada as here is better and I am never bored here! I can honestly say I did get bored back in the UK though and too often. I am getting my Citizenship shortly too after 4 yrs of living here, and my Son was born here.

Last edited by wonderfulperson; Jan 12th 2011 at 8:39 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:51 am
Milana

I do agree London is not the best place to raise a family, however I did live there until I was 13 and think I've come out unscathed. Unfortunately I haven't been back since then; I've always been too poor or restricted - it's annoying though. Even just a glimpse of my home would help. I've looked up my house on google maps and I cry about it nearly every day, so I'm just going to bite the bullet at last. Since your son is small you could go back for a few years, to where your parents live (which town?) then return to Canada as he gets older, or stay depending on what you want.

Children acclimatise best when young, as I have seen by comparing my sister and I. My younger sister was three when we moved to NZ and she wants to go back there, I was 13 and I hated every moment.

I just want to do some menial Londoner thing like get on the tube at Ravenscourt Park and go into the city. Places I love.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:13 am
Banned

wonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nicewonderfulperson is just really nice

I do agree London is not the best place to raise a family, however I did live there until I was 13 and think I've come out unscathed. Unfortunately I haven't been back since then; I've always been too poor or restricted - it's annoying though. Even just a glimpse of my home would help. I've looked up my house on google maps and I cry about it nearly every day, so I'm just going to bite the bullet at last. Since your son is small you could go back for a few years, to where your parents live (which town?) then return to Canada as he gets older, or stay depending on what you want.

Children acclimatise best when young, as I have seen by comparing my sister and I. My younger sister was three when we moved to NZ and she wants to go back there, I was 13 and I hated every moment.

I just want to do some menial Londoner thing like get on the tube at Ravenscourt Park and go into the city. Places I love.
Have to admit I was happiest when I went back home to visit 2 yrs ago for being around and in Central London again (South West) around Harrods area and Kensington. Stayed around Kensington too for about 6 nights during the month I was back there. My happiest time was back in London, it's the buzz, it is unique for sure, you see things you'd never see anywhere else, and the friendliness I find in central London just out and about, and sitting in a coffee shop etc.

Now there are child gangs operating around London, pretty scary and worrying if you have children, I noted it starting up as I was leaving the UK back in 2007.

As to adapting well while young, for sure, I can agree on that one from personal experience having lived overseas (Europe mostly and Singapore) from age 4 onwards yet being at boarding school ongoing in Reigate, Surrey.

And prior to moving here I wanted my own children here in Canada, safer. I have that much now. I also had the idea of 6 months in UK and 6 months back in Canada (just an idea before). Now I am not so keen on that one, especially now I have a Son too.
I am more for the dual citizenship that I will soon have, and with the view of.. we can live here. Though as many a friend says now and before I left the UK, chances are I will visit the UK but never live there again, and will want to live just in Canada.

I know I'd miss here if I went back there indefinitely, and am not willing to cut off all my ties to Canada.

Last edited by wonderfulperson; Jan 12th 2011 at 10:16 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:16 am
Milana

I can relate - I love Canada. I lived two years in Victoria, BC as a child. It is an ideal place to grow up. Also from 13-14 I lived in Australia which I also enjoyed. It's a shame London has become so dangerous and so spoiled, because it is truly the most amazing place in the world.

As far as boarding school goes, were you at the Royal Alexandra and Albert School?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Yup, and I thought this forum was made up of a supportive group of people, helping each other to deal with the troubles & decisions they face day to day.

I suppose you always get a minority of pathetic, spiteful people wherever you go - even here.
thats the first person i have ever heard be soo bloody nasty on this thread, usualy it is the the same of lot of us all missing england and excited to go home.. maybe she should go to a pro U.S website and leave us that have tried it out for 20 odd years and seen the real USA alone... I moved to florida at 12 I am now 32 and cant wait to go home, you can take the girl out of england but you can never take the england out of the girl! good luck mate
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

good for you girl i was 12 wheni moved to flroida i am now 32 and cant wait to go t home,, kjust wanna get on the bus with my mate and go into town, ride trains, have a fun christmases i miss all the simple stuff, should be going home this summer (:
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Most Americans have no idea that there is such a thing as a better lifestyle because they never go anywhere. They also think America is 'the greatest country in the world,' as if there is some sliding scale of objective greatness, which is laughable.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that we are all in America for 'a better lifestyle' but I came because my company transferred me here. Being one of the people who has experienced other countries, I would now like to leave thank you very much.

Isn't this supposed to be the section of the forum where people can discuss going home? Why attack someone for their feelings just because you don't share them?
obviously this person dos'nt understand this thread and wants to come and crap on people, but thats one of the reason i am leaving people like her everywhere... lol..... good luck to everyone its a hard decision but one i think we are well equppied to afer living so long in both contries...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by J.J
But looking at her history of Posts, Mallory has previously posted a lot of useful info on the message boards. This is out of character.

I can't help but wonder what starts tizzies such as this, but certainly postings can be read in a completely different tone than intended.

There seem to have been more initial inflammatory statements and more offense taken.

Across the board I have noticed an increase in tizzies generally and wonder if the stresses of the Christmas / New Year season has people more on edge than usual.

There are stresses too in being at the point of making a huge decision to move from overseas and back to UK.

Deep breath in everyone, let it out slow,

well you sem very happy to be home, thats great and keeps the rest of us positive i was in florida for 20 years am now in S.C until jul when my dog is ready to travel just saving money and getting back home
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
But looking at her history of Posts, Mallory has previously posted a lot of useful info on the message boards. This is out of character.

I can't help but wonder what starts tizzies such as this, but certainly postings can be read in a completely different tone than intended.

There seem to have been more initial inflammatory statements and more offense taken.

Across the board I have noticed an increase in tizzies generally and wonder if the stresses of the Christmas / New Year season has people more on edge than usual.

There are stresses too in being at the point of making a huge decision to move from overseas and back to UK.

Deep breath in everyone, let it out slow,
It's interesting - from over 8 years on BE, these mini-flame rows often seem to start off between someone who is new to the board and someone who has been around a while.

I thought Mallory asked a pretty thought-provoking question after a post that labelled Americans as shallow, etc. Maybe it wasn't worded particularly politically correctly, but then neither was the original post, or some of the subsequent ones.

Instead of actually considering the question, there was a flurry of emails (all from relative newbies) saying this Mallory character is a so-and-so, whatever.

The challenge with the internet is that it is open to anyone (so people who are poles apart get to "meet" who otherwise would never cross paths), the written word is devoid of facial expression and intonation that would otherwise indicate that a question is tongue-in-cheek, or simply a Devil's advocate type suggestion rather than a deliberate "You are shallow" insult, and that among the online community you find people who are maybe a little too thin-skinned.

I've got into my fair share of rows on here, usually when a newbie gets in my face within their first 10 posts, or tries to engage in a little cyber-bullying (I always imagine they are some weedy loser in a string vest, buried away in a basement ), but there also have been times when I have definitely over-reacted.

We all usually get over it in the long run, and people figure out who to steer clear of (and of course, there's always the "Ignore" function ...)

And just to be clear, there are no rules on the MBTTUK that say you can only make positive statements about the UK. By all means, be polite and supportive, but if you think some aspect of the UK is sh*te, you should be allowed to say so - people can choose to agree or disagree with you.

[Later edit: I just read through the last two pages and I think people have already made a lot of these points. So now, everybody kiss and make up ...]

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 12th 2011 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by EnglishRose15
Thanks Bee, You are such a support, and inspiration. I was just thinking what you posted, before I sat down at the computer again. I have a lovely house, which looks wonderful today in the sunshine, my husband is outside mowing the lawn, and I feel so empty inside I could cry. What is a great house, if you can't have your Mum over for a cup of tea, or go out shopping with your sister or friends and enjoy sharing a joke and catching the bus home? those are the things I miss, not the big things or even the big occasions, it is the daily living things. GULP, I am really getting ready to go now.....
yes thats exactly what i am feeling too ! I have a beautiful house which we had built.......i really love it.But like you,whats a house without the friends and family round,its just a shell with no life.
We have been looking on rightmove to see what we can get for our money.The houses are no where close to what we have here,for the same price.But after months of thought,i dont care any more about the house,i would rather live in a hut and be happy. We have the house up for sale and hope to be back in the UK this year ......take care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.