Reason 101 I am moving back

Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reason 101 I am moving back

Originally Posted by sile
Well, the great thing about being free, wherever we are and wherever we are from, is that we can be ourselves.

I'll tell you one thing...I can't imagine living in a country other than my own and bashing and insulting that country and the people in it constantly.

You know what they say, if you don't like it here.......
Sile please do not come to the UK. You are far too sensitive. This is British Expats forum to moan about living overseas...flippant remarks will be made since it is not aimed at the people from the other countries.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, absolutely. Many Americans are unhappy with the way things are going, too. In fact, I have been wondering how many natural-born Americans want to leave the USA. I know of a few who would at least like to leave.
It's no bed of roses, but it is MY country. I have seen the opposite statement from UK folks about the UK.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

In order to smooth the troubled waters, here's a post about what it's really like in her majesty's sceptred isles:

Everything stops for tea and cucumber sandwiches, which are always at ten to three. With honey.

If you say anything nasty about anyone the Queen will come round (in her barouche) and bonk you on the head with above-mentioned sceptre.

It's all really jolly nice.

Paddington Bear is real and can be visited at 32 Windsor Gardens, but watch out for that Mrs Bird, she's a tartar.

We all wear plus fours and crinolines, and nightcaps for bed

Yes it's just like Downton Abbey, and the class system is alive and well

We have guns but only for posh people to shoot wildlife and peasants with

Peasants have to make do with fist fighting after seventy nine beers in the incredibly quaint thatched inn, then getting up before they went to bed and going out to work licking t'road clean

We love our colonial cousins, especially when they offer us helpful advice on manners and decorum

We have a thing called grammar (no that's not the old lady on your front porch) and we love it when people use it

Never mind about irony, sarcasm and all those other silly things - we just made them up to scare people.

We absolutely do not find ourselves funny, ludicrous or laughable ever, oh no, we take ourselves seriously dammit!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Its funny how some quotes stick with you. That is one of the ones I always recall. Of course, that could be Luton, Coventry, Dagenham, Birmingham etc etc. I think I am going to have to reread Bryson. Talking of books I don't even think Tom Sharpe could have envisaged the current debacle playing out in SA with Pisterios, the prosecution, police... - sometimes truth is stranger than fiction
It came to light today that Pisterios' brother is being charged with culpable homicide in an automobile/motorcycle accident. I smell a movie in the works...
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Its funny how some quotes stick with you. That is one of the ones I always recall. Of course, that could be Luton, Coventry, Dagenham, Birmingham etc etc.
Absolutely. One of the reasons I've travelled so much is that it definitely applies to where I grew up (or didn't, to be more precise). Scary...
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
It came to light today that Pisterios' brother is being charged with culpable homicide in an automobile/motorcycle accident. I smell a movie in the works...
I smell a huge rat too. You know how you just get a very strong feeling that someone is telling porky pies....
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Sile please do not come to the UK. You are far too sensitive. This is British Expats forum to moan about living overseas...flippant remarks will be made since it is not aimed at the people from the other countries.
Wow.......just wow!

That is just uncalled for..
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Let's all get over ourselves and 'ave a good laff. This is for Downton fans. Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the finale:

If Downton Abbey took Place Entirely on Facebook:

http://www.happyplace.com/21471/down...on-3-episode-7
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Let's all get over ourselves and 'ave a good laff. This is for Downton fans. Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the finale:

If Downton Abbey took Place Entirely on Facebook:

http://www.happyplace.com/21471/down...on-3-episode-7
And this, my favourite DA, er, documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dMlXentLw
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
And this, my favourite DA, er, documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5dMlXentLw
I'll see your hilarity and raise you one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TegW...layer_embedded
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

a bit lost on me as I'm blissfully aware of the original song, but I love the way Dame Maggie can steal even this show
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:32 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. One of my recent whinges is how I want to be Mary Crawley. I want my breakfast in bed, I want someone to sort my clothes, fix my food, drive me about....but then....oops her husband died.

Odd ......... how we should be careful what we wish for.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Ah. One of my recent whinges is how I want to be Mary Crawley. I want my breakfast in bed, I want someone to sort my clothes, fix my food, drive me about....but then....oops her husband died.

Odd ......... how we should be careful what we wish for.
Indeed! How many times have I said to myself: oh that movie star or politician or whatever rich so-and-so, what an easy life they must have. And then come to find out that some tragedy has struck their lives that no amount of money can fix. I may not be wealthy, but I have a man who adores me, a daughter who is the apple of my eye, and a dream to go home that is within reach. I think this life is a keeper
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
a bit lost on me as I'm blissfully aware of the original song, but I love the way Dame Maggie can steal even this show
For a good Maggie Smith throwback see her in Neil Simon's California Suite, where she previews The Countess, albeit somewhat inebriated
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

For a good Maggie Smith throwback see her in Neil Simon's California Suite, where she previews The Countess, albeit somewhat inebriated
Thanks, I will!

And apropos of nothing, here's reason 102:
Attached Thumbnails Reason 101 I am moving back-train.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.