Reason 101 I am moving back

Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:41 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: Reason 101 I am moving back

Well, the great thing about being free, wherever we are and wherever we are from, is that we can be ourselves.

I'll tell you one thing...I can't imagine living in a country other than my own and bashing and insulting that country and the people in it constantly.

You know what they say, if you don't like it here.......
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Wow, I can't believe you interpreted that story that way.

What do you mean, you don't "knowingly have children living in cars"?

OBVIOUSLY that story was about poverty and what some people have to do to survive.

Geez.
You don't know me, but I have seen quite a few of your posts and I really think you should re-think your idea of moving to Britain.

You evidently do not have a clear idea of what Britain is like - never mind the fact that you've never even been there. You do not understand how different living in Britain is from living in the US, and you do not seem to understand what makes us Brits tick.

You can shoot me now!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the great thing about being free, wherever we are and wherever we are from, is that we can be ourselves.

I'll tell you one thing...I can't imagine living in a country other than my own and bashing and insulting that country and the people in it constantly.

Yes, Reason 101 I'm moving back!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

That's why we want to get out of here!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:48 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
You don't know me, but I have seen quite a few of your posts and I really think you should re-think your idea of moving to Britain.

You evidently do not have a clear idea of what Britain is like - never mind the fact that you've never even been there. You do not understand how different living in Britain is from living in the US, and you do not seem to understand what makes us Brits tick.

You can shoot me now!
You don't know me either.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Again, you are making assumptions and generalisations. You are saying that while you've met some decent Americans, in general have a cowboy mentality , can't affect change and can't come to grips with the fundamentals of life. That's a fairly sweeping statement. Further, you telling me I should learn to be....well, more like Brits.

It simply irks me to read this kind of thing. Apparently you have no idea what most Americans feel about gun violence, how it makes us cry when we turn on the news and see what is happening here, our frustration at the fact that we can't seem to stop it, how we feel about our ridiculous healthcare system and politicians and the huge amount of money spent on campaigns and elections.

I think it would be helpful if you thought how you would feel if you read something about how all the British are -insert something negative, insulting and very disparaging-and then tell me you wouldn't take it personally and want to stand up and say "excuse me, but that's not true". I don't think you'd feel the need to be self-critical, reflective, and find yourself laughing.
Frankly I would laugh - I rofl over Monty Python and Blackadder, Little Britain, Catherine Tate etc etc - all of which 'take the piss' unrelentingly' about the British - I'm sure there are others.

In fact most of the things said about the British are very valid - just look on youtube at some of the above. But as they say here 'thats the way we roll'
http://youtu.be/AFc3OWZWyxM

Last edited by vikingsail; Feb 24th 2013 at 4:57 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Yes thats the usual response - mine - don't worry I am. I think we have had this conversation in another thread a number of months ago. At that time I made the comment perhaps you were one of those government/ NRO types ...as they say leopard and spots?
No that wasn't me you said that to. And I have no idea what a government/ NRO type is.

What type are you, btw?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:10 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Really? EVERY BRIT would do that? Interesting. Another generalization methinks.
*shrugs*

It's my observation. From having been to the UK. From actually knowing real live British people. From having lived with one for several years.

Now....to continue with my observation, if the offender were to continue, ad nauseum, they might be invited outdoors.

Here is what I think. I think anybody moving away from their homeland needs to expect some generalizations about it. Some will be pleasant and some will not be. It's part of the drill. If you can't either laugh about it or just chalk it up to ignorance, then you might want to reconsider leaving Kansas. 'Cause you won't be there anymore.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:11 pm
Banned

Vikingsail....

Wow. I just looked that up.
WTF are you talking about??? Why would you say that to me?

It's a good thing I have sense enough not to judge everyone by the behaviors of a few....
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
If a Brit was truly offended, they'd tell the offender to sod off and be done with it.
Very well said!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira

You can shoot me now!
In all sincerity - and to try to help Sile - I think that a re-think is in order. At the very least, go there and spend some time before you move. The culture is VERY different from the US but this fact is somewhat masked by the fact that we speak (sort of) the same language. There are many distinct, fundamental differences that could make or break your happiness over there.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to say that contrary to popular perception, not all British people have bad teeth.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:27 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I would just like to say that contrary to popular perception, not all British people have bad teeth.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Really Then why the heck are you hanging out here with a bunch of Brits who are moving back to UK, You must be here trying to stir the pot and get a rise out of people.
So on behalf of many (I didn't say ALL) Sod off!
Oh and the US isn't the only country in the world where people are "free" Personally I find less "freedom" here now than when I first moved here.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Feb 24th 2013 at 5:30 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I'll add to that. I've been told by Americans that all Brits are posh and refined (not in those words) but that one made me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.