Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Pretty sure we are moving back to England from the USA

Pretty sure we are moving back to England from the USA

Old May 21st 2011, 10:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pretty sure we are moving back to England from the USA

Here I go again being in the middle, but I think both UK and US TV has some amazing comedy (for me SNL is not among the amazing shows, but tastes vary).

Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld were genius. So were the English Office and The Trip and Phoenix Nights. Actually, the US Office is great too. As is Peep Show in the UK.

Yes, some British comedies are crap but so is most of the stuff here. Charlie Brooker alone is enough to make up for the crap ones. Not to mention David Mitchell and Jimmy Carr and Steve Coogan and Pete Kay.

And anyone who says US humor isn't funny either hasn't seen The Daily Show or Stephen Colbert, or has and just doesn't understand what they're doing.

There's humor in both places, but if you try to force one place to conform to your idea of humor, rather than adapting to theirs, you're in for a lot of stony stares.

Last edited by sallysimmons; May 21st 2011 at 10:24 pm.
Old May 23rd 2011, 11:33 am
Just Joined

dotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to all

I can really understand why the OP wants to return back to England. I'm American but have lived in Ireland for the last 4 years and in the Netherlands for 6 1/2 years before that. Before living outside the US, I didn't think much about the screwed up healthcare system in the States, or the God & Guns sector or the 2 weeks of holiday per year. It was all I knew. Now I know better I've posted on this site before about trying to decide to move back to the States to be near friends and family or to stay here because of the quality of life. I finally made the tough decision to stay here. I haven't told my family yet. They expect us (my Dutch husband and our 8 year old daughter) to move back because my aunt filled out the affidavit of support to make it easier for my husband to get his green card. I didn't ask her to do this (my father did). I am now going to cause alot of disappointment back in Milwaukee. They just can't understand why I wouldn't want to live there. I don't think I could fit in anymore. I see so much that needs to be fixed and my family and American friends can't relate when I try to talk to them about it. It's really frustrating (and the cause of much eye rolling on my part) when I hear comments like, "You would be so much safer here - no terrorists" (uh, I'd be more worried about crime in the States than terrorists in Ireland or the UK) or "Did Jeroen have a day off of work for the royal wedding?" No, why? "Because it's the royal family". Um, not of Ireland. Drives me crazy but it also makes me sad knowing that I will probably not ever live near my family.

I think many people know in their hearts where they'd be happier - it's the worry about making a mistake or the difficulty of the moving process that causes hesitation but it's your life you're talking about and you only get chance at it.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:17 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think it's reflected in TV comedy - I'd put Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, etc., against Two Packs of Fags and Pint of Lager (or whatever it's called) any day - 30 miutes of peurile dross that could have been written by a spottly adolescent.

Some Brits confuse the concept of "They don't laugh at my childish jokes" with "They don't have a sense of humour".
You have a point, Dunrovin. There is good comedy on British TV but so much of it seems to be the same bunch of men laughing at one another's lame jokes. I don't get it. So few women. Perhaps that's my problem. A gender gap in humour.

I have a lot of American friends and I've had some hilarious times with them. But yes, there's been times when they take seriously things that clearly -- to me -- aren't. But then, I'm an eccentric with a funny accent, so they probably think I am serious -- and seriously weird.

Bev
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think it's reflected in TV comedy - I'd put Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, etc., against Two Packs of Fags and Pint of Lager (or whatever it's called) any day - 30 miutes of peurile dross that could have been written by a spottly adolescent.

Some Brits confuse the concept of "They don't laugh at my childish jokes" with "They don't have a sense of humour".
I don't have a TV so can't comment either way when it comes to humour on the idiot box .

Your 2nd point : Quite possibly and some don't .

Last edited by Englishman43; May 23rd 2011 at 3:40 pm.
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
You have a point, Dunrovin. There is good comedy on British TV but so much of it seems to be the same bunch of men laughing at one another's lame jokes. I don't get it. So few women. Perhaps that's my problem. A gender gap in humour.
Definitely look for 'Getting On' with Jo Brand. Funny and sad at the same time - and hardly a man in sight!
Old May 24th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotdarling
I can really understand why the OP wants to return back to England. I'm American but have lived in Ireland for the last 4 years and in the Netherlands for 6 1/2 years before that. Before living outside the US, I didn't think much about the screwed up healthcare system in the States, or the God & Guns sector or the 2 weeks of holiday per year. It was all I knew. Now I know better I've posted on this site before about trying to decide to move back to the States to be near friends and family or to stay here because of the quality of life. I finally made the tough decision to stay here. I haven't told my family yet. They expect us (my Dutch husband and our 8 year old daughter) to move back because my aunt filled out the affidavit of support to make it easier for my husband to get his green card. I didn't ask her to do this (my father did). I am now going to cause alot of disappointment back in Milwaukee. They just can't understand why I wouldn't want to live there. I don't think I could fit in anymore. I see so much that needs to be fixed and my family and American friends can't relate when I try to talk to them about it. It's really frustrating (and the cause of much eye rolling on my part) when I hear comments like, "You would be so much safer here - no terrorists" (uh, I'd be more worried about crime in the States than terrorists in Ireland or the UK) or "Did Jeroen have a day off of work for the royal wedding?" No, why? "Because it's the royal family". Um, not of Ireland. Drives me crazy but it also makes me sad knowing that I will probably not ever live near my family.

I think many people know in their hearts where they'd be happier - it's the worry about making a mistake or the difficulty of the moving process that causes hesitation but it's your life you're talking about and you only get chance at it.

I found your post very interesting. I have lived in the US for over 20 years and while there's a lot I like about living here, there's also a lot I don't like!! The work work work mentality is one of the things, and the healthcare costs another. I think about going back the the UK (or Ireland) a lot, but it's difficult now with adult children and grand-children here. I really feel for you - it must have been a difficult decision for you . All the best to you for the future, and hopefully it won't be too difficult explaining your decision to your family back in the US.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

hannmen is an unknown quantity at this point

I am soooooooooo glad that I found this site.

I'm a Welshman living in Dallas and I hate it here.

I was lucky enough to marry a beautiful American girl and have been here for 8 years. But I have to move home. I just cant deal with it here anymore, there are so many things that just don't fit with who I am.

She has been to Wales and loves it. I just don't know how to get her to move. She is very close to her family, and has never lived anywhere else. I was thinking about suggesting that we move there for a year ... just to see how she likes it. I don't know what to do.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannmen
I am soooooooooo glad that I found this site.

I'm a Welshman living in Dallas and I hate it here.

I was lucky enough to marry a beautiful American girl and have been here for 8 years. But I have to move home. I just cant deal with it here anymore, there are so many things that just don't fit with who I am.

She has been to Wales and loves it. I just don't know how to get her to move. She is very close to her family, and has never lived anywhere else. I was thinking about suggesting that we move there for a year ... just to see how she likes it. I don't know what to do.
Welcome.

Just make sure not to make any babies till the country thing is all settled and you are both on the same page. It's tragic to be trapped in a country you don't like cause your kids are there.
Old May 26th 2011, 4:49 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotdarling

Oh god, that's so true and so me, I've been in LA for 10 years always missed the UK and yet here I am still dithering about making the move!
Old May 26th 2011, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

dotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to alldotdarling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I found your post very interesting. I have lived in the US for over 20 years and while there's a lot I like about living here, there's also a lot I don't like!! The work work work mentality is one of the things, and the healthcare costs another. I think about going back the the UK (or Ireland) a lot, but it's difficult now with adult children and grand-children here. I really feel for you - it must have been a difficult decision for you . All the best to you for the future, and hopefully it won't be too difficult explaining your decision to your family back in the US.
Derrygal, Thanks for the good wishes. I have to work up the courage to tell my family. It must also be difficult for you wanting to go back but having your family in the States.

NYZ,
Something that helped me was to ask myself: Where do you see yourself spending the rest of your life? In the States or living back in the UK at some point? The whole moving thing is so stressful (especially such a big move) but once it's done and dusted you may be happier than before.
Old May 26th 2011, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

UKmummy is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to the US a year ago with my husband's job. Good career move. But we really can't see ourselves being here forever.

Our children are at the ages where we either go back soon, or have to contemplate life here until they finish school. (I've read so many posts from people stuck in that position.)

I will probably have to return with our children, and my husband join us when he is able to.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Bloodlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
I'm ready for the culture shock and I'm already aware of the inevitable clashes, but I'm going to take this risk because my heart tells me I must. If I don't like it I can always come back to Europe. I will not be chained to the USA. Like I mentioned earlier, I have been in Italy for 20 years, so it would be quite easy to return here if I wanted to. Italy is not as glamourous as it seems you know. There are REAL cultural differences here too which I have never been able to get fully used too. The wages are crap, unemployment and crime has soared big time. Milan is a very expensive, polluted and dirty city. Yes, there are beautiful places to see here in Italy if you have the money to go and see them. Most Italians live at home with their parents until they are 40 because they cannot afford to get a flat and live on their own! I am not happy here anymore! What's the point in me moving back to Britain for example? I have been away for too long plus the fact I have no family left! I don't feel I belong there anymore.....I'm am living the classic expat curse! I feel I don't belong anywhere, so at the end of the day, it makes no bloody difference where I live! When I get to the States, I'm going to learn to drive, go to college, learn Spanish and do all the things I've wanted to do for a long time. Therefore if everything goes tits up, I'll have a few more skills and a new experience under my belt. Life is an adventure...you just have to go with the flow!
CosmicJunkie- just had to reply as I'm doing the reverse for while- was in San Diego 10 years and now in Milan. Have nothing but good things to say about San Diego. True if you want high culture it's not there but the outdoor life is unbeatable and the people are super friendly and for the most part laid back and positive. I still consider SD my home and can think of nowhere else in the States I would live (but that's just me!).
Old May 28th 2011, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bloodlock
CosmicJunkie- just had to reply as I'm doing the reverse for while- was in San Diego 10 years and now in Milan. Have nothing but good things to say about San Diego. True if you want high culture it's not there but the outdoor life is unbeatable and the people are super friendly and for the most part laid back and positive. I still consider SD my home and can think of nowhere else in the States I would live (but that's just me!).
Thankyou for your positive input! San Diego is a very beautiful place and you are right about the friendly people who live there. I am going to do my best to settle down and fit in. Up to now, I have liked what I have seen....only time will tell I guess.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience compared to the British, Americans have no sense of humor at all.
Yep - forget self-deprecating humour (they see it as "weakness"); religion - many of them are still on the Crusades; irony (North-East and Jewish friends excepted....); sarcasm (seen as criticism/"glass-half-empty"). That leaves you with body parts and the noises/smells that they produce. Utterly puerile and probably why BBC America should be renamed BBC Top Gear Channel.

If you think it's bad where you are, try Silicon Valley. There you are not just dealing with the indigenous Americans that have no sense of humour/politeness/anyone-else, but the Indians who think the whole place is unconditionally wonderful (and probably is compared to where they come from) and have a strong (probably British Raj-provided) class-structure and no humour whatsoever, and the Chinese that would fall apart if they so much as cracked a smile !

The Latinos are (shock-horror) doing ALL the manual work that the white Americans are too lazy to do themselves (but they will spend the whole time telling you how lazy the Latinos are....) and are just too knackered and low-paid to join in with Society. Now, they DO have a sense of humour, but it is a southern-European one (very different from the more self-deprecating humour of us northern Europeans).

The biggest joke round here as far as I'm concerned is the American Work Ethic - yes, they are in the office a lot, but they certainly aren't working very hard. Except the imported labour that works 24/7 365/365. Now that is NO joke.