Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
Just a quick note. Tony got a partial paycheck today from the Council.

By way of information for those curious about deductions, on £1764.02 net pay:

He paid NI deduction of £120.10
Employer paid an NI deduction of £115.09.

He paid Pension deduction of £109.03
Employer paid Pension deduction of £273.42.

He paid £205.60 in tax.
WOW! That doesn't sound bad at all!! I had it in my mind that people are lucky if they take home 40% of their pay.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I bought some Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire tea - teabags, though. Can't wait to try it. How does this tea compare to others?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
Tonight I bought some Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire tea - teabags, though. Can't wait to try it. How does this tea compare to others?
It is very nice ,I think a bit stronger than the Tetley you can buy here .

Where did you find it ?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
It is very nice ,I think a bit stronger than the Tetley you can buy here .

Where did you find it ?
Gab, I found it in Kroger, a local grocery store. It's not one of the upscale stores either but it's convenient as it is the closest grocery store to me.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I used to volunteer at a Living History Museum in West Chicago, run by the museum in Chicago. I was a docent for the Summer Kitchen, where I had to tell people about the cutlery/lack of cutlery. In wagon train days, knives were a premium item, and each wagon had only one. There was a shortage of forks, too, but enough spoons. So I am guessing that from those days people learned to eat in (what we in the UK regard as) a peculiar way, and (DDL can interject here if she cares to) it has stayed that way. I have shared meals with Americans in the north (WI and MN) who have alternately licked their bowls (!), pushed food onto the fork with their fingers instead of using the knife, and - best of all - picked their teeth with the point of the knife (steak knife preferred). In public, or at home - made no difference. Top that!
Rosie....I am trying sooooo hard to keep my psyche together...
STOP MAKING ME LAUGH!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:35 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Can you confirm that you are quoting in dollars because that seems quite low at about $10 an hour.
Sorry that was supposed ot be £ not $
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
Gab, I found it in Kroger, a local grocery store. It's not one of the upscale stores either but it's convenient as it is the closest grocery store to me.
Great ,I think you will enjoy (you have prob had a cup by now lol )

Our Kroger is limited ,but does sell Tetley British blend -for that ,I have to be grateful
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Great ,I think you will enjoy (you have prob had a cup by now lol )

Our Kroger is limited ,but does sell Tetley British blend -for that ,I have to be grateful
It is very good. Yes, I am drinking it now

By the way, I found PG Tips in the local Kroger store about three weeks ago. They are a new addition to the stock so perhaps your store carries them now, too.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

The American way or zig-zag way of eating was the original method of eating in France and England before 1732. In 1732 a nobleman in King Louis XV's court decided that the noblemen should eat differently than the townspeople and he came up with the Continental style of eating. When America was settled in the 1700's, the people settling it wanted nothing to do with the ways of the Kings.

Found the above information on a History website. My children eat both ways so does my husband. They never use a fork with their fingers clamped around it or they would be told off. I sometimes wonder who teaches children to eat nowadays. You see many eating with fingers even grown ups. People seem to attack food and have forgotten that there is an art in eating and not to see who is the first to finish. My husband always laughs at me when I eat peas. Watching me trying to balance them on the back of my fork.

Below is a survey done on eating habits in the UK.

One third of the British public now think it is acceptable to eat with their fingers. A survey revealed that one in six would consider licking their plates after a good meal. As if that wasn't bad enough, all this comes just over a year after the revelation that knife sales were plummeting as people chose to eat meals with only a fork. This finger-licking survey was sponsored by a food company – so should perhaps be taken with, ahem, a pinch of salt .

Is it becoming less important how your food reaches your mouth? Or do you count yourself among the doubtless many etiquette experts in despair at news of this drop in standards?

Eating Etiquette in the UK

Things you should not do:

Never lick or put your knife in your mouth.

It is impolite to start eating before everyone has been served unless your host says that you don't need to wait.

Never chew with your mouth open. No one wants to see food being chewed or hearing it being chomped on.

It is impolite to have your elbows on the table while you are eating.

Don't reach over someone's plate for something, ask for the item to be passed.

Never talk with food in your mouth.

It is impolite to put too much food in your mouth.

Never use your fingers to push food onto your spoon or fork.

It is impolite to slurp your food or eat noisily.

Never blow your nose on a napkin (serviette). Napkins are for dabbing your lips and only for that.

Never take food from your neighbours plate.

Never pick food out of your teeth with your fingernails.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
The American way or zig-zag way of eating was the original method of eating in France and England before 1732. In 1732 a nobleman in King Louis XV's court decided that the noblemen should eat differently than the townspeople and he came up with the Continental style of eating. When America was settled in the 1700's, the people settling it wanted nothing to do with the ways of the Kings.

Found the above information on a History website. My children eat both ways so does my husband. They never use a fork with their fingers clamped around it or they would be told off. I sometimes wonder who teaches children to eat nowadays. You see many eating with fingers even grown ups. People seem to attack food and have forgotten that there is an art in eating and not to see who is the first to finish. My husband always laughs at me when I eat peas. Watching me trying to balance them on the back of my fork.

Below is a survey done on eating habits in the UK.

One third of the British public now think it is acceptable to eat with their fingers. A survey revealed that one in six would consider licking their plates after a good meal. As if that wasn't bad enough, all this comes just over a year after the revelation that knife sales were plummeting as people chose to eat meals with only a fork. This finger-licking survey was sponsored by a food company – so should perhaps be taken with, ahem, a pinch of salt .

Is it becoming less important how your food reaches your mouth? Or do you count yourself among the doubtless many etiquette experts in despair at news of this drop in standards?

Eating Etiquette in the UK

Things you should not do:

Never lick or put your knife in your mouth.

It is impolite to start eating before everyone has been served unless your host says that you don't need to wait.

Never chew with your mouth open. No one wants to see food being chewed or hearing it being chomped on.

It is impolite to have your elbows on the table while you are eating.

Don't reach over someone's plate for something, ask for the item to be passed.

Never talk with food in your mouth.

It is impolite to put too much food in your mouth.

Never use your fingers to push food onto your spoon or fork.

It is impolite to slurp your food or eat noisily.

Never blow your nose on a napkin (serviette). Napkins are for dabbing your lips and only for that.

Never take food from your neighbours plate.

Never pick food out of your teeth with your fingernails.
How interesting, I love history.

Oh how I remember that rule of no elbows on the table and woe betide you if you did it.

I eat my pies on the back of my fork quite easily TT, that's because I only like mushy peas.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish, and everyone,
Well Extension cord not really solved but ----- well what I have done is placed my modem on a little wee table by the front door, so when you open the door it wont touch it, the modem is still 10 feet away from the phone jack the other side of the hall but at least I had enough phone cord on the modem to reach the phone jack, I neatly shoved the cords underneath the carpet edge along the skirting board, so everything is fine, the lap top works great anywhere in the house, Its just that the modem isn't sitting next to the phone jack thats all, (it will have to live with disappointments )
Now you say what else bugs me, ---- well this really doesn't bug (ME) as such but would if I had a car, first all the side streets are so narrow and most terraced houses are without a garage so they have to park there car on the street outside there house, ---- the result is that on both sides of the street you have back to back cars parked, so when you drive down the street you most always meet another car coming in the opposite direction ---- so someone has to give and pull over to the side so the other car can get through the street, and he just makes it passed you without scratching your paint work ---- they have that down to I fine art over here, ----- that would be very hard for me to get used to if I were driving ---- that and when you get to the main street in town there are so many cars on the road now that its very frustrating, I mean with one bloody lane each way what you gonna do, these roads would drive me crazy if I had a car, so thats it not really a Bug but so thats why Im sticking to my free bus pass
my 91 year old Mum is used to the roads so they dont bother her, but then I thought maybe the roads are not so narrow in other parts of UK, I dont know,
But Its not Englands fault, you have to expect it after all its a very small country compared to others like The States, we dont have the room to build side streets with 3 or 4 lanes each side of the road,
Well is there anything else that bugs me? you know Fish I am really trying to think really hard and so far I cant think of a darn thing ----- honestly!!!
it rained half a day yesterday, cloudy today, I love it, you dont have that sun shining in your face all the time,
I havent come across a single rude person, everyone seems to be polite, happy, and a Joy to be around, especially the people who work in the stores I was surprised at how friendly they all are, no different then being in USA,

The bus service here in Pompey is excellent, dont matter where I want to go in the city, one comes along in 2 or 5 or no longer then 10 minutes, all routs and times are clearly marked on all bus stops throughout the day and night,
I take a lot of buses, I enjoy going to different places every day, and it keeps me out of my Mums hair for a while too,but having said that she is so busy going places with her friends most days too,

The phone service is great over here, me and Mum pay £13.29 month for basic line rental, my broadband wireless internet costs £15.99 month and with warp speed of 10 megs, on the phone we have free anytime minutes clear across the United Kingdom,
24/7

The food in stores here I have found is either about the same price as the US and many things though are quite a bit cheaper, me and Mum mostly do the shopping together that way she buys her favorite things and me mine, but we always split the bill, good variety of food too, beef (IS) very expensive in any form, ---- dont know why? maybe we are short of cows over here chicken aint cheap either but affordable, I just get off on all the different kinds of ---- you know British only type of food --- like steak & kidney pies/cornish pasties/sausage rolls/mince steak family size pies hmmm
large plump sausages and thick rashers double hmmm /chocolate digestives and the nicest tasteing ginger buscuits I have ever tasted, ------ Just to name a few, and even if you dont wish to go to your local fish & chip shop you can buy a box of frozen cod, 4 nice large portions, and have it with oven cooked frozen chips, open up a can os mashy peas ---- oh yes they sell cans of peas already mashed here have a few pickled onions (but not Davids pickled eggs ) and you have a lovely meal for two,
Well ya all cheerio for now,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS Im still comparing £,s to $,s with every thing I buy, that will take some time to stop doing Im sure,
People still ask me where Im from even though I am really trying hard to talk with a English accent, ---- dont seem to be working very well though,
Just about all the stores have big sales on clothes still, Mum bought me a nice couple of good quality sweaters with a zipper in front, £8 each reduced from £25 Wow what a bargain, and two bags of underpants 4 in each bag from M&S for £4 each bag, real good quality and two nice cotton shirts long sleeves same place for £8 each, --- thats my Christmas presents, in a few days time we are going to go to Comet and Im buying my Mum a nice Nikon coolpick digital camara already picked out, its £65 That will be Mums Christmas present from me,
By By/cheerio

That was a Great post Rodney, loved it all, Love all the food chat, pies pasties n peas etc, I noticed Cod was very expensive the last time I was over, The Beef is expensive too but I think its not full of hormones so it will be better quality in my opinion.

Driving down tight streets, I drive so I understand that, its tight in the north too but people are always so courteous.

Glad you find everyone nice and pleasant, that's really good.

Clothes do seem cheap.

I hope your Mum enjoys her new Nikon camera, I'm a camera fan, they have come on leaps and bounds, its not difficult to take good pics these days, not much to go wrong.

You Take Care Pal, enjoy the weekend.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
In Just this short time here I can say with compleat certainty that I love being home, and guess what my stress level is definitely getting less, in the States there were so many worries, and everyday stress for me at least was incredible,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS so there !!!!!!
I so much agree, I think America has its daily stress and worry, People in the Uk only seem to worry about where they will be going on Holiday next.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I eat my pies on the back of my fork quite easily TT, that's because I only like mushy peas.
Ha ha that was supposed to say peas.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Do they? Good job you said that I'd have had a heck of a shock on move in day when we get a house
Mummy, Years ago people would take their carpets too.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I have a question that most people on here can answer.
When you went to school in the UK weren't you taught penmanship? I'm asking because it seems that in the US there is no instruction? We were told in the UK to hold our pen so that the end is pointing over your shoulder and held by the thumb and index and middle finger.
I watch all ages of people in the US and it is weird the way they hold a pen or pencil and its held in every which way.
Correct Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.