Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
trotty thanks for good wishes on my Op ---- and of course that goes to all the other people on here too,

Happy to report that my Op went well, and all I feel on the second day after Op is a little soreness inside my stomach, that keyhole surgery is great,

trotty you have running water in your house, taps, shower, dishwasher ect ect ------- so I just dont know why you have to use the well for water? but anyway glad to hear that its slowly coming around for you getting closer to the signing of the contract ---- that will be the time to crack open the Champaign I would say
Rodney.
I'm glad your Op went well, you'll be running about as normal in no time.
Here the well isn't like an open bucket well, its a small tank looking thing on the ground, it looks like a propane tank for a barbecue, for some reason they all seem to be blue around here, they are connected to the electricity, and the water is pumped up and piped to the house to come out the taps just like if you lived in town, some people put a shed over the well pump (blue tank) and use it for storage and call it the pump house.
Whats funny it's untreated ground water that comes out the taps, that why it can have bacteria in it.
The city water they go to great pains to treat it and ours can smell like bleach and looks blue in the bathtub quite often. Yet millions of people drink untreated water. Some of our friends tasted so bad from the well they put in a reverse osmosis water treatment system and now it tastes great.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Rule Britannia!!
There are places in Britain like this too - it's a smaller country so there are less of them, but out in remote areas there are houses that don't get mains water. It's really not just an American thing.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

trotty thanks for good wishes on my Op ---- and of course that goes to all the other people on here too,

Happy to report that my Op went well, and all I feel on the second day after Op is a little soreness inside my stomach, that keyhole surgery is great,

trotty you have running water in your house, taps, shower, dishwasher ect ect ------- so I just dont know why you have to use the well for water? but anyway glad to hear that its slowly coming around for you getting closer to the signing of the contract ---- that will be the time to crack open the Champaign I would say
Rodney.
Glad to see you are feeling on the mend Rodney.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I hope things are going well for you Bee. Is it flooding there or a heat wave?
Be sure and take some photos when you go out even if its the Main Street.
Cheers,
Stuck here
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:56 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm glad your Op went well, you'll be running about as normal in no time.
Here the well isn't like an open bucket well, its a small tank looking thing on the ground, it looks like a propane tank for a barbecue, for some reason they all seem to be blue around here, they are connected to the electricity, and the water is pumped up and piped to the house to come out the taps just like if you lived in town, some people put a shed over the well pump (blue tank) and use it for storage and call it the pump house.
Whats funny it's untreated ground water that comes out the taps, that why it can have bacteria in it.
The city water they go to great pains to treat it and ours can smell like bleach and looks blue in the bathtub quite often. Yet millions of people drink untreated water. Some of our friends tasted so bad from the well they put in a reverse osmosis water treatment system and now it tastes great.
We live out by a lake and have a well. Those wells you are talking about with a tank, are very old wells. In the last 20 years or so most people have submersible pumps that just have what looks like a tap on top of the ground, usually covered with a small fake rock or something. We love our well, we have no huge water bill! We water the lawn, flowers and veg to our heart's content. We have a high water table here because of the lake, no one goes dry. Also we don't have the kind of rock that causes radon. We have lovely tasting water with no chemicals in it. Had it tested recently and it is AOK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submersible_pump

I think that pump in the link might be for oil, but you get the idea, it's similar.

Glad you are okay Rodney. Had to laugh at the picture of Trotty bringing up water in a bucket! I bet they don't have wells in Vegas though!

TROTTY! Wonderful well news - keep us posted.

Last edited by Mallory; Aug 6th 2011 at 5:59 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're feeling OK Rodney!

How was the hospital?
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We live out by a lake and have a well. Those wells you are talking about with a tank, are very old wells. In the last 20 years or so most people have submersible pumps that just have what looks like a tap on top of the ground, usually covered with a small fake rock or something. We love our well, we have no huge water bill! We water the lawn, flowers and veg to our heart's content. We have a high water table here because of the lake, no one goes dry. Also we don't have the kind of rock that causes radon. We have lovely tasting water with no chemicals in it. Had it tested recently and it is AOK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submersible_pump

I think that pump in the link might be for oil, but you get the idea, it's similar.

Glad you are okay Rodney. Had to laugh at the picture of Trotty bringing up water in a bucket! I bet they don't have wells in Vegas though!

TROTTY! Wonderful well news - keep us posted.
This is the kind I mean http://yourwaterneeds.com/WT_PressureTank.asp
They are still putting them in round here, it's for the water pressure I think It's most of what you see above ground.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Another update......The 'drilled well' company came this morning. Took the lid off the well which is about 8" in diameter. Poured bleach and tablets down the well and then turned the pump on and reflowed the water back into the well to mix the bleach up. Then they came in the house and flushed all the loo's and turned all the taps on and showers till the water turned brown and then left. We are not to touch the system for another 24hours. Then I have to go outside and run the hose for as long as it takes for the water to no longer smell of bleach and for it to look a good colour. Then I have to come back into the house and run all the showers and taps and washing machine and the loo's. I have to wait another 24hours before getting another sample taken making sure to run the water and use the dish washer and everything else before this is done. What a mess. The well chap said most people who use wells do not realize that they have bacteria growing. They only find out when they are about to sell.
Well's should be sanitized every year at most 2 years. Who knew that At least we only had a lower form of bacteria not salmonella.
Good heavens what a palaver! BUt worth it if it fixes the problem....slowly but surely, things seem to falling into place. Hope you're feeling better.

I too had "city" water in US--actually small town water!! Far too much chlorine in it, smelled like a swimming pool and i dread to think what years of immersing myself in it for my nightly bath (SO British!! as the French would say) has done....BUT it was there and reliable and no worries, I was very grateful to have it ad not a well. Ditto "city" sewer, no septic tank thank God...

....but just outside our small town, in all the rural areas, the majority of people have well water and septic tanks. And of course the well is bored very deep so as to achieve as clean a water as possible...usually tasted nicer than the city water! but wells can dry up, and as you say, also need sanitizing...

Well, good luck with it all, Trotty!

Tina
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney.
Great news, Rodney!

Remember though to take it easy, follow doc's guidelines about no lifting etc (I had a friend who had the same op).

I will resist the temptation to join in the teasing about the image of Trotty hauling her water up out of the well in a bucket.....

Tina
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....Glad your op is overwith and you are feeling better. No lifting for a while....So no picking up girls

Between two worlds.....I had a chuckle at me carrying water up to the house from the well.

We still cannot drink the water but I flushed the loo's today and turned on all the showers and ran the dishwasher I did it with the bacteria clean cycle What made me laugh was when the men from the well company told us not to drink the water till the smell of chlorine was no longer present when I smell the water. My daughter is on town water and hers smells and tastes like chlorine We have had to turn the outside water taps on and run them for two hours and do it every day this week. The water did look pretty brown when I ran it today. But its better now. We get another test done probably on Tuesday.

The bank appraiser comes Wednesday morning

We put a deposit on the rental its a lovely place. I cannot wait. I have an idea that the 6 months we spend in it will be the happiest, I figure that this house will be sold, we will be living in a kind of paradise still able to see our children but the promise of a whole new life ahead of us. I am going to make the most of it. But will not get to excited till we sign that contract. Creeping closer each day. Even the atmosphere in the house has changed both my OH and I are much more at ease and not grumpy.

There is a swing that overlooks the harbour in the back garden at the rental. We sat on it and watch the boats coming in to harbour and the fishing boats going out to sea. The sun was warm and the two of us just sat and bathed in it. The peace was lovely. I am glad we have to wait for Gabby to get her shots it will be a nice rest. I know my OH will love it. We could not afford to live in this place in the summer its very expensive but Winter is much cheaper. They are glad to rent it out and have someone take care of it.

Thank you all for your kind wishes. You have been with me through this whole awful experience.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:49 am
Finally Home!

We put a deposit on the rental its a lovely place. I cannot wait. I have an idea that the 6 months we spend in it will be the happiest, I figure that this house will be sold, we will be living in a kind of paradise still able to see our children but the promise of a whole new life ahead of us. I am going to make the most of it. But will not get to excited till we sign that contract. Creeping closer each day. Even the atmosphere in the house has changed both my OH and I are much more at ease and not grumpy.

There is a swing that overlooks the harbour in the back garden at the rental. We sat on it and watch the boats coming in to harbour and the fishing boats going out to sea. The sun was warm and the two of us just sat and bathed in it. The peace was lovely.
It sounds perfect! Congratulations
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I hope things are going well for you Bee. Is it flooding there or a heat wave?
Be sure and take some photos when you go out even if its the Main Street.
Cheers,
Stuck here

It rained all day yesterday but hey that's what makes the grass green right?

Today it is Sunday morning, it is lovely and sunny, I have the window open and I can hear church bells in the far distance..............
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:39 am
Home Sweet Home

Loving the image of TT's swing in the garden watching the boats come in and out of the harbour. Well done and well deserved after all you have been through.

TT how does Mr TT feel now he is leaving the USA FOR REAL and heading to your motherland??
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....Glad your op is overwith and you are feeling better. No lifting for a while....So no picking up girls

Between two worlds.....I had a chuckle at me carrying water up to the house from the well.

We still cannot drink the water but I flushed the loo's today and turned on all the showers and ran the dishwasher I did it with the bacteria clean cycle What made me laugh was when the men from the well company told us not to drink the water till the smell of chlorine was no longer present when I smell the water. My daughter is on town water and hers smells and tastes like chlorine We have had to turn the outside water taps on and run them for two hours and do it every day this week. The water did look pretty brown when I ran it today. But its better now. We get another test done probably on Tuesday.

The bank appraiser comes Wednesday morning

There is a swing that overlooks the harbour in the back garden at the rental. We sat on it and watch the boats coming in to harbour and the fishing boats going out to sea. The sun was warm and the two of us just sat and bathed in it. The peace was lovely. I am glad we have to wait for Gabby to get her shots it will be a nice rest. I know my OH will love it. We could not afford to live in this place in the summer its very expensive but Winter is much cheaper. They are glad to rent it out and have someone take care of it.

Thank you all for your kind wishes. You have been with me through this whole awful experience.
This sounds beautiful, so glad things seem to be going well for you, you will deserve that rest T/T
Rodney so glad the operation is over, just take it easy for a time, my husband had it done a few years back, and is great now...mind you he had me to do all the lifting, think he enjoyed being spoiled, i even tied his shoe laces but my day will come
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

My vision was of a long yoke and a bucket at each end

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.