British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

black swan Jul 28th 2011 1:48 am

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by 200646 (Post 9523472)
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me I am wanting to move back to UK later this year, I am 65 years old and an EX PAT living in Melbourne Aus I still have my British Citizenship but have been here for 46 years Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to A pension in UK or will I still get my Australian Pension I appreciate any feedback Thank you mjj46

I think you have to be already receiving the Oz pension for 2yrs to be able to claim it in the UK.

Paula.

trottytrue Jul 28th 2011 2:07 am

200646....I think to obtain a pension from the UK you have to have worked there my husband only worked for 5 years in the UK but he gets a small pension I get a much bigger one because I worked for nearly 17years.

200646 Jul 28th 2011 4:53 am

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 9523523)
I think you have to be already receiving the Oz pension for 2yrs to be able to claim it in the UK.

Paula.

Many Thanks for replying Marion

200646 Jul 28th 2011 4:54 am

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9523547)
200646....I think to obtain a pension from the UK you have to have worked there my husband only worked for 5 years in the UK but he gets a small pension I get a much bigger one because I worked for nearly 17years.

Many Thanks
Marion

aries Jul 28th 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by 200646 (Post 9523472)
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me I am wanting to move back to UK later this year, I am 65 years old and an EX PAT living in Melbourne Aus I still have my British Citizenship but have been here for 46 years Can anyone tell me if I am entitled to A pension in UK or will I still get my Australian Pension I appreciate any feedback Thank you mjj46

I came to Australia 51 years ago, but because I was deemed to have worked for 5 years in the UK (before and during this time), I was provided with a UK age pension of just 18 pence a week. A lovely talking point :D

I am also hoping to return this year, but I will not be entitled to my UK pension being increased to the full amount unless my income is so low that I require a subsidy. Fortunately my Australian Age Pension can be transferred because of the length of time I've been in Oz, but I will lose about 30% until I buy property. I did not naturalise here.

charleygirl Jul 28th 2011 11:47 am

Welcome to the forum Marion, cant help with you question but nice to see you.

A question of my own, is my USA divorce going to be recognised in the UK. Anyone have any idea what I need to do when I get back.

30 days :eek:

brummie61 Jul 28th 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9443160)
Sally, brilliant post thank you.
Rodney you made me cry ....AGAIN.......
Fulwood have a great trip, Aries, aw I feel your pain and uncertainty, just keep your eye on the price and read Sallys words. So very true.

Today I went to a party on my street and for the first time told our neighbours I am leaving in 10 weeks, there was lots of shock and horror, been here in the neighbourhood for 10 and half years, we were the second family to move into this neighbourhood, and there is only about 25 homes, we know everyone. It was very hard to tell them I am getting divorced, and leaving, I have watched all the children on this street grow up, mine are the oldest all the others are 12 and under.
I felt sad and got some hugs goodbye from members of the family whose party it was, see they kind of adopted us as we have no family here and we were always invited to all their family do's. It was tough and reality set in for me.
Although I have been very unhappy for a very long time, it will be hard. I am leaving my children behind and many friends, my divorce will be final at the end of July.
I have no idea how I will fair but I have to do this for me. I am 60 later this year, if I dont I feel it will be too late. my mum is 88 not in good health and I want to be with her.
time will tell if I can settle over there without my children, and for those who do not know me so well, I have twin girls almost 19 and a son 20 and a half who do not want to move back to the UK, we have been here 14 years next month.
My one way ticket to home is August 27th.

Phew a difficult choice - are your kids going back with you or staying?

brummie61 Jul 28th 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by brummie61 (Post 9524352)
Phew a difficult choice - are your kids going back with you or staying?

sorry - i see they staying - even harder!

trottytrue Jul 28th 2011 1:45 pm

Hello to all the newbies....

To the oldies I will be putting the updated list on in a few days as promised just jumping through hoops at the moment to get to closing.:)

Brummie61....How do you like South Africa always wondered about it especially during the past few years. Are you going home.:)

sallysimmons Jul 28th 2011 2:20 pm

Aries, congrats on doing so well with your house sale so quickly. What's your secret?

Just wanted to share a milestone. We have a UK friend staying with us at the moment. Last year when he was here, we talked to him about possibly coming home, but at that point I was the one pushing and my husband wasn't keen.

This year everything is decided and it's been so great to hear my husband talk to his buddy about our plans to return. There were times I really didn't think this day would come!

We're going back in 4 weeks for our annual trip and then when we get back, we're having the realtor come round. We want to know her "quick sale" valuation but also to get her advice on what we should do to prepare for a sale (decoration, staging, fix-ups etc). Then we'll have a busy 6 months ahead getting it all done!

Fish n Chips 56 Jul 28th 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by charleygirl (Post 9524301)
Welcome to the forum Marion, cant help with you question but nice to see you.

A question of my own, is my USA divorce going to be recognised in the UK. Anyone have any idea what I need to do when I get back.

30 days :eek:

Denise, find yourself a nice single guy and have a good Cuddle...

between two worlds Jul 28th 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9524560)
Aries, congrats on doing so well with your house sale so quickly. What's your secret?

Just wanted to share a milestone. We have a UK friend staying with us at the moment. Last year when he was here, we talked to him about possibly coming home, but at that point I was the one pushing and my husband wasn't keen.

This year everything is decided and it's been so great to hear my husband talk to his buddy about our plans to return. There were times I really didn't think this day would come!

We're going back in 4 weeks for our annual trip and then when we get back, we're having the realtor come round. We want to know her "quick sale" valuation but also to get her advice on what we should do to prepare for a sale (decoration, staging, fix-ups etc). Then we'll have a busy 6 months ahead getting it all done!

Thanks for sharing this milestone, Sally! And the fact that your husband is the one talking enthusiastically to his friend about the plans...this is wonderful progress!

Good luck with the trip back and with all the prep work for the sale.

Tina

jasper123 Jul 28th 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9524681)
Denise, find yourself a nice single guy and have a good Cuddle...

IM single :)

jasper123 Jul 28th 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9523057)
:lol: Naughty!
Although some places won't take children either.
Any chance of contacting the owners and telling them how well behaved and house trained they are, even better than a small child.
Some say no pets but will let you have a small dog or two with a pet deposit.

The apartment complex that I lived at in Vegas prior to coming home excepted dogs, even big ones, but the pet deposit per head was $300 refundable on leaving, minus the cleaning fee to professionally clean apartment, this was on top of the usual security deposit they charged on move in,

Beedubya Jul 28th 2011 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9525056)
IM single :)

Me too!! :lol: