British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Beedubya Jan 9th 2011 6:13 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9088907)
Hi windsong,
(NOPE NOT A DARN THING) I am so glad and happy to be here ----- and so happy that I aint over there anymore :D:lol::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Take care,
Rodney.

Great update ^^^^^^ Rodney and glad you are settling down, I notice a few little Brit words creeping in here and there, I notice it too with DDL. :thumbsup:

Yes Jackie is the next to fly home on Jan. 25th, then Don and his wife Tim will leave Thailand, I think it's Feb. 20th, then me on Feb. 26th. gulp.......:eek:

As much as I love seeing my family and all that I just got the "comfy pair of slippers" feeling of familiarity and knowingness which is I guess how you are feeling now.

I didn't get that "magical" feeling until I went to the Lake District. There is just something about that place, actually I watched a programme about it yesterday and the presenter said it for me, even though you are not a local it is a place that somehow makes you feel as if you belong.

Yes we belong to OUR country. :wub:

http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/thelakes/

Barb

p.s. BTW I am nowhere near the Queensland floods, I am in the suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales.

Beedubya Jan 9th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9088934)
Rodney...Things are going well for you when I was home a few years ago my brothers Dr's office was set up the same way. I had to laugh it had this big flashing screen above the reception area that gave your name and time.

I am sitting waiting for a phone call to tell us that the people are coming to view the house. They are flying in from somewhere. It snowed last night so I had to clean off the driveway didnt want to put them of seeing the snow. I always feel as if I've done a 10hour workout when people come to look at the house. I nearly always forget to go around and clean the storm doors and windows were Gabby sits and drools.(Gabby being my Scottie).
Must go and see if I can find any dirty marks on the walls.:frown: Fingerprints from my Grandsons and my OH.

I wasnt being mean by having a new Thread opened I just feel Healthcare is a really big issue I think we can learn alot but discussions can get complicated and take up vast amouts of space and when you are trying to look back and find information that is helpful to all it gets tedious and others might feel the same way wading through pages of heathcare to look for a post that someone had written on buying or giving booksmarks to information was just taking forever.

OOOhhh TT flying in to view houses is GOOD!!! :thumbsup:

Fingers and toes crossed!! :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

p..s Glad to hear Gabby is your dog drooling on the windows not your OH LOL!!

windsong Jan 9th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9088831)
And yet, when you total their tax burden, it's no more than ours and for that they get health care and we don't, so you could consider that free.

I thought that the NHS care was paid for by NI payments. If not, then what are the NI payments for?

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9088884)
... my Daughter Maggie bought me a nice mobile phone, it came with a free top up of £10, and she told me the phone only cost her £13.50 so what a deal Huh, its T-mobile UK, you can buy them anywhere, and when you need more minutes you can top it up in any supermarket or newsagents,
My internet provider --- I decided to go with BT cause thats who my Mum has her phone service with, and as I added (MY) broadband to (her) account we got the free phone calls anytime minutes added, cause we now have a package you see, no extra charge for that, before MUM was paying for each minute on local city calls up until 7pm, after that it was free, and weekends were free all day, but now we can call anytime 24/7 for free within the city just like USA ---- but guess what its a lot better deal over here cause when you get free anytime minutes on your landline over here that means (NATIONWIDE) when I phoned BT to get the broadband connected there were many packages to choose from, I sisigned 18 month contract for the broadband --- so they offered me the 24/7 free phone calls, and they told me that it is free calls 24/7 all over UK ---England/Wales/Scotland and Northern Ireland, the monthly line charge is still the same for my Mum £13.63
and my broadband costs me £15.99 per month, the download speed is amazing, 10 gigs, warp speed just like startreck, they go up to 16 megs over here,
.......Take care everyone,
Rodney.

Rodney:

Glad to hear you are settling in and don't worry, it will take a fair old time before it feels like hoe, so your experience is normal.

I just wanted to comment on phone charges, in case you didn't know. Three things, really:

If you have a credit card, you should be able to set it up so you can "top up" your mobile without having to go to a shop (convenient if it runs out and you are on the road or don't want to bother going to top it up at the shops).

Even though you say you have free internet calls, be wary of a) calls to mobile phones, which can be expensive, and b) calling numbers like 0870, 0845, and a stack of other numbers that seem like they are free, but often have hefty per-minute charges, even from a landline or internet phone. If you are not sure about a company's customer service number, you can always Google the prefix (e.g., 0845) to find information online about whether this is a free number or if not, how much it will cost to call it.

It's all a bit confusing compared to the days when all we had were landlines, and charges were either rated as local, trunk, long-distance, and international. Now it's all affected by what type of phone lijne you are calling from and to, what time of day, what "plan" you are on, etc.

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9088896)
That's an expensive door lock! Where do you live - Fort Knox? :lol:

That was the standard charge for a call-out to replace the lock mechanism in a double-glazed UPVC door. It only took him about 15 minutes, and from a check online, a replacement lock mechanism can be ordered for about £40-£80.

I know tradespeople can charge an arm and a leg in the States, but I have found similar here for a lot of the work I have had done to get this house in a decent state of repair.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 9th 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9088979)
Rodney:

Glad to hear you are settling in and don't worry, it will take a fair old time before it feels like hoe, so your experience is normal.

I just wanted to comment on phone charges, in case you didn't know. Three things, really:

If you have a credit card, you should be able to set it up so you can "top up" your mobile without having to go to a shop (convenient if it runs out and you are on the road or don't want to bother going to top it up at the shops).

Even though you say you have free internet calls, be wary of a) calls to mobile phones, which can be expensive, and b) calling numbers like 0870, 0845, and a stack of other numbers that seem like they are free, but often have hefty per-minute charges, even from a landline or internet phone. If you are not sure about a company's customer service number, you can always Google the prefix (e.g., 0845) to find information online about whether this is a free number or if not, how much it will cost to call it.

It's all a bit confusing compared to the days when all we had were landlines, and charges were either rated as local, trunk, long-distance, and international. Now it's all affected by what type of phone lijne you are calling from and to, what time of day, what "plan" you are on, etc.

Terrific Info and yes very confusing.

Derrygal Jan 9th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9088985)
That was the standard charge for a call-out to replace the lock mechanism in a double-glazed UPVC door. It only took him about 15 minutes, and from a check online, a replacement lock mechanism can be ordered for about £40-£80.

I know tradespeople can charge an arm and a leg in the States, but I have found similar here for a lot of the work I have had done to get this house in a decent state of repair.

I would say that is more expensive than here - I have a friend here who had to have a lock replaced last summer. I think she said it was around $300.

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9088971)
I thought that the NHS care was paid for by NI payments. If not, then what are the NI payments for?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ance/DG_190052

- unemployment benefits, jobseekers allowance, state pension, maternity allowance, bereavement benefits.

- so, it seems to fund mostly benefits to do with providing money for those in need.

Benefits that are NOT linked to NI contributions:

Child Benefit
Guardian's Allowance
Jobseeker's Allowance - the 'income-based' element
Employment and Support Allowance - the 'income-based' element
Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit
Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance
Carer's Allowance
Severe Disablement Allowance
Industrial Injuries Benefit
Pension Credit

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9088994)
I would say that is more expensive than here - I have a friend here who had to have a lock replaced last summer. I think she said it was around $300.

I used to convert US costs from $$ into ££, but I don't do that so much now, because the currency conversion varies so much and really, the realtive cost of something is related to your income. If I were working in the States, I'd be on a salary in $$ that is about the same number as what I get in ££ - so getting a door lock replaced for $300 in the US would constitute about the same relative cost as getting a door lock replaced in the UK for £240 (without VAT included).

Also, I think that UPVC door locks/handles that you get in the UK are more complicated than a typical US door lock (which is much more like the "old fashioned" circular metal door locks we used to have on wooden doors here in the UK).

That's why it is difficult to asnwer posts here on cost of living - it depends on your income, not on whatever the $$/££ exchange rate happens to be at the time the question is asked ...

windsong Jan 9th 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9088907)
Hi windsong,
(NOPE NOT A DARN THING) I am so glad and happy to be here ----- and so happy that I aint over there anymore :D:lol::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Take care,
Rodney.

Lovely to hear that, Rodney :) I think the warm summers in the midwest is the only thing I would miss but I think it's pretty warm in England in the summer, too - warmer than in Scotland anyway.

I wish my 3.5 years that I have given myself would fly by so I can hurry up and go back but I don't want to wish my life away. I suppose I could go back sooner but I won't be able to collect my U.S. SS until I am 62. My current plan was to return at 62 and begin collecting US SS immediately while working in the UK and at 65, begin to collect my additional company pension from the U.S.

I suppose I could reverse things and start collecting my company pension at age 60 at a lower amount than at 65 and return to the UK then, and then at 62 also receive my US SS. However, if I start receiving my company pension at 60, it's only about $530 a month but if I leave it to 65, it's over $800.

I do plan to work in the UK until I am 65 (or close to) but would love to get there sooner rather than later if I can find a way.

cheers Jan 9th 2011 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=jasper123;9088884]Hello Barb,
OK I havent got that magical feeling that some get ---- you know suddenly one day they just feel as though everything is right and they belong here, maybe in time I will feel like one of the locals, this is only my first 39 days
So well (NO) I havent got that magical feeling of belonging here yet ---- but I do have my foot in the door so to speak, and I really am getting used to the way of life here, and I do like it, on the most part so far I really have not seen too much negatives over here,

Well thats it for now folks,
I do have a few things that piss me off a little, not too many but I will tell you about them the next time,
Hope everyones dreams will quickly come true,

Why is it that I want to hear the rest of the story? I know I will like living in the UK but I want to hear the full story. No place is a utopia!

Cheers

Derrygal Jan 9th 2011 6:46 pm

Rodney Lovely to hear from you - great post. Glad you're settling in okay. You lived in the US a long time, so I'm sure that it will take a while to get used to the British way of life, but it sounds like you're doing fine.

Trottytrue Good luck with your house showing. You're right about houses being a lot of work. I used to live in fairly large house (not as big as yours - it didn't have a swimming pool or anything like that). When I moved into my condo, I missed my house for only a couple of weeks. I realized that I could clean my condo in less than half the time it took me to clean my house, also I don't have to worry about anything outside such as snow removal. Anyway - good luck - I hope you find a buyer soon.

DDL Denise Enjoy the panto!! It's a unique British experience. I remember taking my children to the Liverpool Empire (at least I think that's the name of the theatre) to see a panto after Christmas. It really brightens up the dull, cold January days!

between two worlds Jan 9th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9088482)
High Tide, congrats on the house! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good survey. Can't wait to see pictures!

DDL have fun! Just remember to shout 'SHE'S BEHIND YOU!' when everyone else does.

This sounds just like our house. Even after we've done some spiffing up, we will be leaving it with lots of things that need fixing or improving, but at least it's in better shape than when we bought it.

I don't have to wait until my 50s to be too old for this stuff - for the last year I have been in pretty unrelenting pain with no explanation to date despite tons of tests. So while we are clearing out the house, we have to do it in fits and starts and only on my few relatively good days.

When we come to sell, I think I'll have to pay someone to get the house clean each time. Unless they find a cure for these pains, I won't be able to do it myself. Hopefully we'll have the money because with the best will in the world my husband isn't good at house cleaning. His idea of clean and mine are worlds apart :lol:

I knew you'd relate, sally, because of the things you've said about your house!

I didn't know about your pains, though--this is awful. I do hope they can figure it out....

Tina

islandwoman120 Jan 9th 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9088934)
Rodney...Things are going well for you when I was home a few years ago my brothers Dr's office was set up the same way. I had to laugh it had this big flashing screen above the reception area that gave your name and time.

I am sitting waiting for a phone call to tell us that the people are coming to view the house. They are flying in from somewhere. It snowed last night so I had to clean off the driveway didnt want to put them of seeing the snow. I always feel as if I've done a 10hour workout when people come to look at the house. I nearly always forget to go around and clean the storm doors and windows were Gabby sits and drools.(Gabby being my Scottie).
Must go and see if I can find any dirty marks on the walls.:frown: Fingerprints from my Grandsons and my OH.

I wasnt being mean by having a new Thread opened I just feel Healthcare is a really big issue I think we can learn alot but discussions can get complicated and take up vast amouts of space and when you are trying to look back and find information that is helpful to all it gets tedious and others might feel the same way wading through pages of heathcare to look for a post that someone had written on buying or giving booksmarks to information was just taking forever.

I agree with the move of the US healthcare issues, Trotty, so some of the flak can come at me too. I am someone who works in lists and order (yes, somewhat anal - no don't move that to the healthcare site :rolleyes:) so I like to look back over posts from time to time. This IS a huge problem for all of us, whatever age group, and will get lots of posts in time. OK, here is the target to hit me at: :D:p;) Rosie

between two worlds Jan 9th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9088671)
Hopefully you got a very good deal on the townhouse?

Well, quite good. Not brilliant.

The loss on the house was because the buyer's mortgage evaluator said it was worth far less than the price we and buyer had agreed on! and so lender wouldn't finance it. We protested--the evaluator came from a far-off place, didn't know the cachet of living on our street (!) in that small town, or the values...but maybe he was right, prices have been dropping so fats....

anyway, you sellers, look out for this....it is possible I believe (found out too late) to request an mortgage evaluator who has detailed knowledge of the community and local prices--as is only right!

Tina