British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

jasper123 Jun 22nd 2011 12:46 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9445686)
Read this one:
Hey thought I would give you all un update...

I posted on here around christmas time that I didnt think I could come home to the UK even though my OH was already living in the UK. I loved my life in Houston so much I just didnt want to come back to the UK...

Well I have been back 6 weeks and love it...We arrived in Heathrow to a beautiful sunny day, as we had to pass a few hours my OH took me to Windsor where we went to a pub right by the river and had a full english breakfast, yum!!

When we went to collect our dog, poor thing was so stressed she was pooping blood, however, after a day she was fine and no worse for her journey. We then spent a few days travelling from London to Scotland visiting friends and family on the way..It was great to be back with everyone, everyone was hugging us and telling us how lovely it was to have us back. My family and my OH family all cried when they saw me, hugged me so much thought they were going to break my bones...LOL..I really didnt know how much my eldery mother had missed me until I saw her, she kept hugging me not like my mom at all...

I had to turn my thoughts to moving back home as if we were moving here for the first time, I guess I was thinking of moving back home and picking up where we left off..Once i got my head around this, its been great...

I have sorted out horse riding lessons, opened up my own company doing bookkeeping, signed up for a course on life coaching. We have a lovely little house 995 sq ft, thought this might be too small but it isnt we have open fields behind us, I have a wonderful view of the hills from my front room and only 10 minute walk to the beach.

Things I have noticed since I came back, people are more polite when driving,service in the restaurants is not as good as Houston but its not bad either. I havent seen any gangs of kids hanging about the streets or the parks. Petrol is expensive it cost me 48 pounds to fill my Skoda Fabia, but you can use the bus, walk or use the train...Council tax is 1800 per year, this includes water rates back in Houston the taxes were over $5,000 a year plus water per month.
Bins are collect every 2 weeks, but our bin is so big its not a problem and they have lots of recycling places that are easy to get to, where we lived in Houston they didnt even do recycling.

What do I miss about Houston....Coffee Mate Ameretto liquid Creamer...LOL...thats it...

I wanted to thank all of you for your support and advice over the last 8 months, I dont know who started this forum but I am sure grateful to them...

Thanks everyone...

Found this in 6 weeks back, on here.

Cheers ----- cumonnnn mate ---- is this some kind of guessing game, can you please give us a Freaking clue who wrote this post? :confused: hope your doing fine cheers,
you mentioned about changes in the NHS to come, yes Cameron and the other guy are trying to modernize or streamline the NHS to save money, not quite sure what it will all be like ---- but I think its all mostly still in the planning stages at the moment,
Cameron yesterday scrapped the Idea of giving hardened criminals a very light sentence if they said they were sorry for there crime ----- well there was a public outcry on that one so he had to back down, ---- can you imagine if you robbed a bank armed with sorn off shotguns and you were caught and got say 15 years ---- well that would mean say you serve only 10 for good behavior on the normal way, ---- well Cameron wanted to give them a choice of a real light sentence of say a couple of years at most ---- and all they would have to do is say there sorry ha ha ha ha ha :eek: :eek: :eek:
can you imagine how crime would skyrocket, criminals wouldn't think twice about doing some really bad crime if they knew that they would just get a slap on the wrist.

I like tea Jun 22nd 2011 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9447670)
All of these questions are searchable in the main MBTTUK site, I think there are too many questions here to be answered, lots of research needed.

I was under the impression this site was to help and give assistance to genuine Ex pacs who wanted to return to the UK. It's so much easier to ask people who are actually there and who have first hand knowledge than get lost in reams of web sites and irrelivant information.

I did not expect someone to answer all of the questions but felt sure someone would be willing and able to supply one or two answers to my query. After all some of them were very simple and only needed an age either 60 or 65. I'm sure if I were in the UK and knew the answers I would only be too happy to help. Obviously that's not the case.

It's a pity this site seems to have been hi jacked by a few who seem intent on having a personal diagolue with each other and have forgotten what the site was orginally set up for.

aries Jun 22nd 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by I like tea (Post 9449528)
I was under the impression this site was to help and give assistance to genuine Ex pacs who wanted to return to the UK. It's so much easier to ask people who are actually there and who have first hand knowledge than get lost in reams of web sites and irrelivant information.

I did not expect someone to answer all of the questions but felt sure someone would be willing and able to supply one or two answers to my query. After all some of them were very simple and only needed an age either 60 or 65. I'm sure if I were in the UK and knew the answers I would only be too happy to help. Obviously that's not the case.

It's a pity this site seems to have been hi jacked by a few who seem intent on having a personal diagolue with each other and have forgotten what the site was orginally set up for.

I am not there yet, but I Googled and found this for your item 2

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Free...scriptions.htm

sallysimmons Jun 22nd 2011 1:33 pm

To be fair, this is one thread on an entire website. Almost all the other threads are about the kind of practical details you asked here and this one often contains practical information. It's just that there were so many questions in your post and most of us don't live there so the only way we could answer you is to search for you.

I googled your question about bus passes and the answer is here:
http://www.seniorsdiscounts.co.uk/mo...ss-scheme.html. It seems there are noises about increasing the age to 65 but I don't see evidence that that has happened yet.

dontheturner Jun 22nd 2011 1:48 pm

I was under the impression this site was to help It's a pity this site seems to have been hi jacked by a few who seem intent on having a personal diagolue with each other and have forgotten what the site was orginally set up for.

Hello. The site has NOT been hijacked by anyone, but for me, I could not tell you, at what age these various benefits kick in, due to the fact that I was eligible for most of them before I went to Thailand, and since I have returned, and am now aged over 80, I qualify for most of them. Sorry Tea. Don

Mummy in the foothills Jun 22nd 2011 2:46 pm

If you know what area you will be moving too, the local council websites give all kinds of info on things like this too.

Pistolpete2 Jun 22nd 2011 3:08 pm

I'm a genuine British expat and don't live in the UK either but was able to find this in google (sorry for any duplicates):

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...th/DG_10030615

and this:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...el/DG_10036264

and this:

http://www.moneymagpie.com/article/8...-the-over-60s/

and this:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...over_sixty.htm

and this:

http://www.seniorsdiscounts.co.uk/

and this:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...ming-benefits/

See also this:

http://www.saga.co.uk/

cheers Jun 22nd 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9449393)
Cheers can you pass this on to Denise/DDL and tell her how sad I am that she didn't pass the test, and each time she has to pay big quids to hire the car and take another test, I think its so demeaning that we have to pass ANOTHER TEST after all the decades that we have been driving,
Rodney.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone: but I did not pass - although I had a brilliant drive. Only 2 minor faults (you are allowed 15) but towards the end of the exam I screwed up at a Y-junction and the examiner marked it a 'serious fault' of which you are allowed, of course, ZERO.

So, I'll pick meself back up, dust meself off, and try again. Another £62 ... another £80 (that's how much my instructor charges to use his car for the exam!) - and the earliest date to rebook isn't until end of September

Beedubya Jun 22nd 2011 4:47 pm

Sorry Tea, but as has been said this is just one thread on a vast site of resources, yes this particular thread was set up as a kind of help desk as it were but it has grown to be bigger than that. Even though some of us ARE in the UK we don't all know the answers to your questions, I for instance am not of pensionable age so don't have the answers to the questions you are asking which are mainly about at what age you are entitled to discounts/benefits.

If you go to the main part of MBTTUK, you will see a whole thread set up with what you are looking for and more:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267933

Good luck.

Beedubya Jun 22nd 2011 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9449456)
Cheers ----- cumonnnn mate ---- is this some kind of guessing game, can you please give us a Freaking clue who wrote this post? :confused:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721467

cheers Jun 22nd 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9449975)

Thanks Bee. I was wondering how long it would take me to find this for Rod and I didn't know where to start.

Also Bee I took a tour down the Styal Road yesterday and it is quite nice. I was wondering about this one place on the right side going to the airport direction. It had a lot of cars parked around it and it had a spire on one of the buildings. It was about a half a mile before the sign that says "Winslow Football Club"

I would have sent this privately but you don't check your mail too often right?

Beedubya Jun 22nd 2011 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9450052)
Thanks Bee. I was wondering how long it would take me to find this for Rod and I didn't know where to start.

Also Bee I took a tour down the Styal Road yesterday and it is quite nice. I was wondering about this one place on the right side going to the airport direction. It had a lot of cars parked around it and it had a spire on one of the buildings. It was about a half a mile before the sign that says "Winslow Football Club"

I would have sent this privately but you don't check your mail too often right?

MMm not sure, there is a Styal Golf Course, Styal prison and also Quarry Bank Mill is off the same road, that has the old mill with a big chimney, could that have been it?

It might only be quite nice but is a vast improvement on my last commute in Australia all through suburban ugly shopping streets and heavy industry and pollution surrounding the airport, yuck!!!!

Check out Rocky Point Road, Sydney NSW to Coward Street, Mascot NSW, no comparison......

Welshie82 Jun 22nd 2011 5:43 pm

Got my renewed British Passport back today. The move is now frighteningly, amazingly, wonderfully, real. :)

cheers Jun 22nd 2011 5:47 pm

Just saw this:

I am leaving two children and one grandchild behind and am so worried that they won't have healthcare that I'm sick about it. In Arizona babies and children are always covered by the AHCCCS system if the families are lower income and they have excellent physicians to care for them as all pediatricians accept the state insurance program but my kids will have nothing. People die here needlessly because they don't have access to health care. How disgusting is that?

Just sayin'

cheers Jun 22nd 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9450055)
MMm not sure, there is a Styal Golf Course, Styal prison and also Quarry Bank Mill is off the same road, that has the old mill with a big chimney, could that have been it?

When you go to work tomorrow look for a small sign on your left that says "STYAL" and at that point it would be on right hand side. I looked overhead and there was a lot of cars there so I was wondering if it was a parking lot for the airport but there are too many building in the complex. Another clue is there is a large building that I describe as Elizabethan because it is white with the black trim on it and the spire. Now I'm curious.

OK I think it is the prison because I see a fence around it. It looks like a country club prison although I don't see the swimming pool or tennis courts.